• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash #123 CGC 6.0 White Pages $1100 Shipped
1 1

18 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

That is a great book for the grade. So tempting for me ... but not my day at the moment sadly. :cry: GLWTS!

Thanks! It's a great book that I don't want to get rid of. Only reason I'm selling is to pick up a xmen 101 9.6.

Open to trades for a x-men 101.

Ah, the beginnings of the multi-verse. Even though this book is strong, it should be considered more of a key as it is a concept that even Marvel has now embraced and adopted and is playing out right now in theaters near you. 

33 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

Ah, the beginnings of the multi-verse. Even though this book is strong, it should be considered more of a key as it is a concept that even Marvel has now embraced and adopted and is playing out right now in theaters near you. 

Exactly. I always viewed it as a very important book which is why I picked it up a couple of years ago. I would love to keep it. I've turned down $1100 more than once. Just really want a xmen 101 now and this is the only way I can pay for it lol. 

44 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

People need to start realizing that this book (and a lot of other key DC Silver Age comics) pre-dates every Marvel super-hero issue. Whether it's this or B&B #28 or every Showcase up to #34, they all appeared on the stands before FF #1.

I don't think Gardner Fox is given the credit and recognition he deserves as a creator and writer. After reading his bio on Wiki, I have come to realize how important he was to (DC) comic books. The following is an excerpt concerning the story from this Flash #123. 

"Fox's -script for "Flash of Two Worlds!", from The Flash #123 (Sept. 1961), introduced the concept that the Golden Age heroes existed on a parallel Earth named Earth-Two, as the current Flash, Barry Allen, travels to the Earth of Jay Garrick, the 1940s Flash. This event heralded more generally the concept of the DC Comics Multiverse,[42] a decades-long recurring theme of the DC Comics universe, allowing old and new heroes to co-exist and crossover.

In a mischievous twist, Gardner Fox is actually referenced in the story—in Barry Allen's world, the adventures of Jay Garrick's Flash appeared in comic books written by Fox. As Barry explains, "A writer named Gardner Fox wrote about your adventures -- which he claimed came to him in dreams! Obviously when Fox was asleep, his mind was 'tuned in' on your vibratory Earth! That explains how he 'dreamed up' the Flash!" At the end of the story, Barry says, "I'm going to look up Gardner Fox, who wrote the original Flash stories, and tell it to him! He can write the whole thing up... in a comic book!"

22 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

I don't think Gardner Fox is given the credit and recognition he deserves as a creator and writer. After reading his bio on Wiki, I have come to realize how important he was to (DC) comic books. The following is an excerpt concerning the story from this Flash #123. 

"Fox's --script for "Flash of Two Worlds!", from The Flash #123 (Sept. 1961), introduced the concept that the Golden Age heroes existed on a parallel Earth named Earth-Two, as the current Flash, Barry Allen, travels to the Earth of Jay Garrick, the 1940s Flash. This event heralded more generally the concept of the DC Comics Multiverse,[42] a decades-long recurring theme of the DC Comics universe, allowing old and new heroes to co-exist and crossover.

In a mischievous twist, Gardner Fox is actually referenced in the story—in Barry Allen's world, the adventures of Jay Garrick's Flash appeared in comic books written by Fox. As Barry explains, "A writer named Gardner Fox wrote about your adventures -- which he claimed came to him in dreams! Obviously when Fox was asleep, his mind was 'tuned in' on your vibratory Earth! That explains how he 'dreamed up' the Flash!" At the end of the story, Barry says, "I'm going to look up Gardner Fox, who wrote the original Flash stories, and tell it to him! He can write the whole thing up... in a comic book!"

Wow. Every time I post this book for sale people unintentionally convince me to keep it lol. If I do end up selling this, I know I will regret it. 

Still for sale. 

For now lol... 

1 hour ago, SonOfWolF said:

Wow. Every time I post this book for sale people unintentionally convince me to keep it lol. If I do end up selling this, I know I will regret it. 

Still for sale. 

For now lol... 

Have you ever read Flash #179? Cary Bates penned a story there that seems to take many elements from this one. In that story Flash travels to earth-prime, (our earth), and meets Julius Schwartz, who was the real life editor of Flash comics at the time.

27 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

Have you ever read Flash #179? Cary Bates penned a story there that seems to take many elements from this one. In that story Flash travels to earth-prime, (our earth), and meets Julius Schwartz, who was the real life editor of Flash comics at the time.

I haven't heard about it or read it. Sounds super cool though. 

22 minutes ago, RCheli said:

It's a great book. I have it signed by Carmine Infantino, Joe Giella, and Murphy Anderson (at the terrific White Plains con in 2000).

Yeah - that might have been the best con of all time in terms of the number of Silver Age guests present - it was unbelievable...and the kicker was it seemed as if it wasn't well attended.

Edited by pemart1966

39 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Yeah - that might have been the best con of all time in terms of the number of Silver Age guests present - it was unbelievable...and the kicker was it seemed as if it wasn't well attended.

The guy who ran it lost his shirt. 

It was a great convention to get signatures -- Kubert, Infantino, Windsor-Smith, Arnold Drake, Fradon and Severin, Murphy Anderson, Novick, so many other -- but the halls were empty. 

(Alter Ego #147 had an entire issue on the show.)

I think if CGC had been doing Signature Series then (heck, I think the company had only been grading books for a few months by this time), it would've been better attended. But I think this con -- which was nearly 20 years ago -- really showed that the older artists that we all beg convention organizers to bring to their shows don't actually drive attendance. I mean, this was the best lineup of Gold/Silver/Bronze guests the East Coast had seen in decades, and nobody came. 

(I remember the person I spoke to the longest was Henry Boltinoff. I probably sat there with him for a half hour and we just went through various comics with his half-page gag strips.)

9 minutes ago, RCheli said:

The guy who ran it lost his shirt. 

It was a great convention to get signatures -- Kubert, Infantino, Windsor-Smith, Arnold Drake, Fradon and Severin, Murphy Anderson, Novick, so many other -- but the halls were empty. 

(Alter Ego #147 had an entire issue on the show.)

I think if CGC had been doing Signature Series then (heck, I think the company had only been grading books for a few months by this time), it would've been better attended. But I think this con -- which was nearly 20 years ago -- really showed that the older artists that we all beg convention organizers to bring to their shows don't actually drive attendance. I mean, this was the best lineup of Gold/Silver/Bronze guests the East Coast had seen in decades, and nobody came. 

(I remember the person I spoke to the longest was Henry Boltinoff. I probably sat there with him for a half hour and we just went through various comics with his half-page gag strips.)

I drove down from Canada for this one as I knew that there'd never be another assemblage of Silver Age greats like this one - sometimes I hate it when I'm right.

I bought the first two Flash Archives there - both brand new for $20 each and then proceeded to get both volumes signed (as applicable) by Julius Schwartz, Infantino, Kubert, Giella and Murphy Anderson.  I think that the only guy living involved in those early Flash books that was not there was Frank Giacoia.  

The best con I ever attended vis-a-vis the length of the guest list.  I feel sorry for the organizer but take a bow whoever you are for assembling that line up.  

Sad to think that all have passed save one.