• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was your first purchase on these boards?
5 5

65 posts in this topic

Hmm, my PMs only go back 13 years, I need 14 1/2 to figure this out. Oh well. My PMs go back to me selling burntboy and mrwoogieman comic spinner racks at the ungodly rate of $50 each and trying to coordinate with both for pick-ups. Right before that is a message from Joe Collector edumacating me on Whitman variants. It is amazing how many conversations I have had wih people via PM I have totally forgotten about (people and conversations) . Apparently I have been corresponding on and off with 1Cool for almost 10 years (this I was aware of because we did so recently, I just didn't realize it went back that far). I was finding listings on hotjobs for one guy who was unemployed and giving PM therapy/guidance counselor sessions to one of our teenage members (won't name him, but old timers will remember him).

17 hours ago, nocutename said:

Old fart.  :baiting:

...and feeling older with every passing second. :cry:

Anyway, you're no spring chicken yourself. :baiting:

18 hours ago, the blob said:

Hmm, my PMs only go back 13 years, I need 14 1/2 to figure this out. Oh well. My PMs go back to me selling burntboy and mrwoogieman comic spinner racks at the ungodly rate of $50 each and trying to coordinate with both for pick-ups. Right before that is a message from Joe Collector edumacating me on Whitman variants. It is amazing how many conversations I have had wih people via PM I have totally forgotten about (people and conversations) . Apparently I have been corresponding on and off with 1Cool for almost 10 years (this I was aware of because we did so recently, I just didn't realize it went back that far). I was finding listings on hotjobs for one guy who was unemployed and giving PM therapy/guidance counselor sessions to one of our teenage members (won't name him, but old timers will remember him).

Hope you put a CAP on those counsellor sessions, wouldn't want the kid to FREAK out. hm

I think it's unreasonable for me to remember what books I bought over a decade ago when it's routinely a surprise when I open a package containing books that I bought a week or two prior.  I usually remember buying the books when I see the books but I've stood in my dining room for a minute and wondered what books could possibly be in this random package.

1 hour ago, gaz973 said:

Hope you put a CAP on those counsellor sessions, wouldn't want the kid to FREAK out. hm

He was a nice kid. I sent him a nice ASM 47 because I had 2 of them and felt bad he had gotten burned on ebay for something. I think he only had his mother and was sort of looking up to a lot of people here as [fatherly] authority figures and was lonely as he was chubby and didn't have a social life -- as a fellow chubster with a gorgeous wife, I could give him hope... Anyway, I think we collectively (like 30 people here saying "are you insane???") talked him out of signing up for a $45,000 web design certification course rather than going to community college or state U. (and taking computer classes) or whatever option he was weighing. Have not seen him around, but maybe he changed his name and, as he is now in his 20s, doesn't need to identify himself as the "kid" on the boards as there are younger folks I assume.

Edited by the blob

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

I think it's unreasonable for me to remember what books I bought over a decade ago when it's routinely a surprise when I open a package containing books that I bought a week or two prior.  I usually remember buying the books when I see the books but I've stood in my dining room for a minute and wondered what books could possibly be in this random package.

I guess if you started with a big ticket item you might remember. I feel confident that was not me as I began here not long after taking a 65% pay cut and my wife was pregnant, so I was selling my big stuff, not buying more big stuff.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

He was a nice kid. I sent him a nice ASM 47 because I had 2 of them and felt bad he had gotten burned on ebay for something. I think he only had his mother and was sort of looking up to a lot of people here as [fatherly] authority figures and was lonely as he was chubby and didn't have a social life -- as a fellow chubster with a gorgeous wife, I could give him hope... Anyway, I think we collectively (like 30 people here saying "are you insane???") talked him out of signing up for a $45,000 web design certification course rather than going to community college or state U. (and taking computer classes) or whatever option he was weighing. Have not seen him around, but maybe he changed his name and, as he is now in his 20s, doesn't need to identify himself as the "kid" on the boards as there are younger folks I assume.

That sounds like Butters (Silvers24 or something) and not Capturd maybe? Capturd was a rail thin twit.

Mine was a couple of ASM books from Silver or DC War books from Thirdgreenham in 2007. Either or and they were pretty close together: