• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One Year Anniversary
1 1

10 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Thanks all...just cannot believe how quickly a year goes and how quickly things can change.  

Life changes overnight and years go by like it was a day so keep plugging along (thumbsu

Grant,

Glad to have you as part of the community.  I think its interesting how many people I have come across who exited the hobby in the early 90s.  My own return was a tad earlier in 2002, but always nice to see people return as its a nice to have an outlet tied to a sense of nostalgia for a simpler time.  'Adulting' sometimes sucks, hope you have a great 2019 and best of luck in all your collecting goals.

Cheers

Jason

On 1/1/2019 at 11:49 AM, habsfan1 said:

One year ago today, as part of my New Year resolution, I decided to register on here to try and get back to the hobby I so loved growing up.  I grew apart from it with the rising prices, the ridiculous variant covers of the 90s, and the desire to spend time with my young family.  Now that most of the driving them around to sports, taking them on large driving vacations, etc seemed to be lessoning as they headed off to their adulthood and university, I was searching for something more to keep my mind busy and feeling young again.  In the past 3 years, I have also watched as my wife's two siblings (one her twin) and a good friend succumb to cancer, and spent many months helping with the care of them and now with the families left behind.  Also, I spent many months emptying my parents house out of their belongings as they moved into a retirement home....going through the pile of antiques and collectibles was interesting yet burdensome to say the least.  Needless to say, there was a lot of recognition to the fragility of life and how quickly things could change.  I didn't want to leave my kids and family with boxes upon boxes of my collection, with no idea what to do, if something happened to me (both kids have never shown interest..sadly lol).  So, as the new year came, I decided to reorganize and catalogue my large collection, start to sell off portions of it, and complete some runs that eluded me when I was younger.  I entered the new year on a bit of a low emotionally with all that had gone on...but I have to say these boards and the hobby have helped reinvigorate me.  I look now at how things have changed over the year, and although we faced a difficult time in the summer with one of those deaths, the hobby helped keep me distracted and excited about life...turning the corner into your 50s can really make you think about things.  So...with that I want to say thank you.  I haven't been too involved in the forums yet (sorry for all the messages out there with the "do you ship to Canada?"), but have been adding to my collection and it has helped me get back to selling on eBay (same user name).  My first purchase was with @pickycollector and it was a nice high grade Avengers 85.  After that, a special thanks to those that I have made many purchases with ... @drbanner (dealt with him long ago, and so glad to see him here), @ChiSoxFan, @Real Frantic One, @ft88, @lizards2, @nochips, @namisgr, @JollyComics, @Mailman_Comics, @SOLAR BOY, @jbud73, @mysterio, @MustEatBrains, @Jordysnordy and the list goes on.  On eBay, I picked up an Amazing Spiderman 121 (CGC 9.0) which was the first real comic I can remember as a child.  Picked up a Hulk 180 (CGC 8.0) and 182 (CGC 9.4) here on the boards to help finish that mini run...yep, bought my 181 about 25 years ago...I believe it is around a VF or so

So once again, thanks to all...I am glad I found these boards...now I just need to use 2019 as the year where I start submitting my comics to CGC...

Good for you! This is a great community & an excellent place to share our love of comics especially for those who don't have friends who are into it or any LCS's by where they live!

There is a shared gene that we all have that comics resonated  with us where other hobbies have come & gone!

Never too late to enjoy life! Glad you joined!