Recommendations on Pressing
0

26 posts in this topic

37 posts

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a very reputable individual or company in which to send a few of my modern variants too for pressing as I do not want to wait for CGC.  I do plan to get these graded this month or in February.  I live in PA and would like someone on the East Coast if possible.  I've heard of Avery Pressing and plan to ask them for references, but am not familiar with anyone else.

Thank you in advance!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,434 posts

at the risk of more books getting in there and slowing down my own, yes go with joeypost at cfp comics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,138 posts

You are going to have to wait if you want a reputable presser. CCS and CFP both have extended TATs right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
874 posts
16 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

You are going to have to wait if you want a reputable presser. CCS and CFP both have extended TATs right now.

That is the biggest downside of pressing these days... at least, pressing with the best of ‘em. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,812 posts
3 hours ago, oldrover said:

That is the biggest downside of pressing these days... at least, pressing with the best of ‘em. :)

We're talking Moderns here. It's crazy that nobody even considers sending them in for grading without getting them pressed first.  I understand the desire for 9.8's but the CGC prescreen is your friend. I would prescreen first, then consider a press. Pressing every Modern is silly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,434 posts
25 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

We're talking Moderns here. It's crazy that nobody even considers sending them in for grading without getting them pressed first.  I understand the desire for 9.8's but the CGC prescreen is your friend. I would prescreen first, then consider a press. Pressing every Modern is silly.

Not everyone who submits has 25 moderns to meet the prescreen requirement. I rarely have more than 10 or so at any one time and when I do have more many are older moderns where the prescreen couldn't be set at 9.8 or even 9.6. I have sent in many moderns without pressing though, I even got my two 9.9s without pressing. But more often than not I want to give them the best chance at 9.8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,812 posts
29 minutes ago, Bird said:

Not everyone who submits has 25 moderns to meet the prescreen requirement. I rarely have more than 10 or so at any one time and when I do have more many are older moderns where the prescreen couldn't be set at 9.8 or even 9.6. I have sent in many moderns without pressing though, I even got my two 9.9s without pressing. But more often than not I want to give them the best chance at 9.8.

Kudos on the 9.9's without pressing, good stuff ! For the ordinary, non key, newly released Moderns you should only submit books that you think can hit 9.8, regardless of the press. Pressing everything, hoping the pressing fixes something, is not money well spent. Of course, I can never prove my point with data, just an opinion from experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,685 posts

No one is going to be able to meet your deadline. They won't even have a chance to look at your book until March or April. :sorry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,921 posts
13 minutes ago, newshane said:

No one is going to be able to meet your deadline. They won't even have a chance to look at your book until March or April. :sorry:

Yep, the ol' turnaround time is pretty slow for CCS these days...   :cry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,812 posts
1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

Yep, the ol' turnaround time is pretty slow for CCS these days...   :cry:

I think the cog in the wheel is Moderns. Only one way to solve that, raise prices on Moderns. :devil:  My Spidey Sense tells me that's coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 posts

Thank you to everyone who responded and some of you I’ve met/bought books from in the past. The moderns I’m submitting are more valuable than many high grade silver age books so these aren’t your “run of the mill” issues...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,434 posts
6 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think the cog in the wheel is Moderns. Only one way to solve that, raise prices on Moderns. :devil:  My Spidey Sense tells me that's coming.

I would think that they are more likely to slide the date from 1975 to 1992 or such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,812 posts
2 minutes ago, LovetheLizard said:

The moderns I’m submitting are more valuable than many high grade silver age books so these aren’t your “run of the mill” issues...

So you are saying because you think your books are more valuable than vintage, you shouldn't have to wait in line like everyone else ?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,050 posts
2 minutes ago, LovetheLizard said:

Thank you to everyone who responded and some of you I’ve met/bought books from in the past. The moderns I’m submitting are more valuable than many high grade silver age books so these aren’t your “run of the mill” issues...

There are 70 year old books in NM that are still nearly worthless and not worth slabbing.  That being said press and slab whatever you want it is your money and if it makes you happy go for it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,812 posts
3 minutes ago, Bird said:

I would think that they are more likely to slide the date from 1975 to 1992 or such.

Actually, that's a good idea but I think more of the volume is coming from recent releases. I don't know but I have been told that the cover inks on newer releases makes the pressing a little more tricky. I do know the newer books weigh a heck of a lot more. Lift a long box of Copper and then a long box of Moderns, unbelievable difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,812 posts
46 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

press and slab whatever you want it is your money 

 

Better yet, actually press and slab your money ! 

OneThousandDollarBill.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 posts
11 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

So you are saying because you think your books are more valuable than vintage, you shouldn't have to wait in line like everyone else ?  

No, I did not mean it that way.  I meant that these aren't books valued in the hundreds, but in the thousands.  I asked a simple question that's all.  By the way Bob, I've purchased from you in the past and say hi every time I see you at shows.  Hope all is well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,434 posts
3 minutes ago, LovetheLizard said:

No, I did not mean it that way.  I meant that these aren't books valued in the hundreds, but in the thousands.  I asked a simple question that's all.  By the way Bob, I've purchased from you in the past and say hi every time I see you at shows.  Hope all is well!

submit them under standard then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0