• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommendations on Pressing

26 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a very reputable individual or company in which to send a few of my modern variants too for pressing as I do not want to wait for CGC.  I do plan to get these graded this month or in February.  I live in PA and would like someone on the East Coast if possible.  I've heard of Avery Pressing and plan to ask them for references, but am not familiar with anyone else.

Thank you in advance!!

3 hours ago, oldrover said:

That is the biggest downside of pressing these days... at least, pressing with the best of ‘em. :)

We're talking Moderns here. It's crazy that nobody even considers sending them in for grading without getting them pressed first.  I understand the desire for 9.8's but the CGC prescreen is your friend. I would prescreen first, then consider a press. Pressing every Modern is silly.

25 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

We're talking Moderns here. It's crazy that nobody even considers sending them in for grading without getting them pressed first.  I understand the desire for 9.8's but the CGC prescreen is your friend. I would prescreen first, then consider a press. Pressing every Modern is silly.

Not everyone who submits has 25 moderns to meet the prescreen requirement. I rarely have more than 10 or so at any one time and when I do have more many are older moderns where the prescreen couldn't be set at 9.8 or even 9.6. I have sent in many moderns without pressing though, I even got my two 9.9s without pressing. But more often than not I want to give them the best chance at 9.8.

29 minutes ago, Bird said:

Not everyone who submits has 25 moderns to meet the prescreen requirement. I rarely have more than 10 or so at any one time and when I do have more many are older moderns where the prescreen couldn't be set at 9.8 or even 9.6. I have sent in many moderns without pressing though, I even got my two 9.9s without pressing. But more often than not I want to give them the best chance at 9.8.

Kudos on the 9.9's without pressing, good stuff ! For the ordinary, non key, newly released Moderns you should only submit books that you think can hit 9.8, regardless of the press. Pressing everything, hoping the pressing fixes something, is not money well spent. Of course, I can never prove my point with data, just an opinion from experience.

No one is going to be able to meet your deadline. They won't even have a chance to look at your book until March or April. :sorry:

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

Yep, the ol' turnaround time is pretty slow for CCS these days...   :cry:

I think the cog in the wheel is Moderns. Only one way to solve that, raise prices on Moderns. :devil:  My Spidey Sense tells me that's coming.

6 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think the cog in the wheel is Moderns. Only one way to solve that, raise prices on Moderns. :devil:  My Spidey Sense tells me that's coming.

I would think that they are more likely to slide the date from 1975 to 1992 or such.

2 minutes ago, LovetheLizard said:

The moderns I’m submitting are more valuable than many high grade silver age books so these aren’t your “run of the mill” issues...

So you are saying because you think your books are more valuable than vintage, you shouldn't have to wait in line like everyone else ?  

2 minutes ago, LovetheLizard said:

Thank you to everyone who responded and some of you I’ve met/bought books from in the past. The moderns I’m submitting are more valuable than many high grade silver age books so these aren’t your “run of the mill” issues...

There are 70 year old books in NM that are still nearly worthless and not worth slabbing.  That being said press and slab whatever you want it is your money and if it makes you happy go for it!

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

I would think that they are more likely to slide the date from 1975 to 1992 or such.

Actually, that's a good idea but I think more of the volume is coming from recent releases. I don't know but I have been told that the cover inks on newer releases makes the pressing a little more tricky. I do know the newer books weigh a heck of a lot more. Lift a long box of Copper and then a long box of Moderns, unbelievable difference.

11 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

So you are saying because you think your books are more valuable than vintage, you shouldn't have to wait in line like everyone else ?  

No, I did not mean it that way.  I meant that these aren't books valued in the hundreds, but in the thousands.  I asked a simple question that's all.  By the way Bob, I've purchased from you in the past and say hi every time I see you at shows.  Hope all is well!

3 minutes ago, LovetheLizard said:

No, I did not mean it that way.  I meant that these aren't books valued in the hundreds, but in the thousands.  I asked a simple question that's all.  By the way Bob, I've purchased from you in the past and say hi every time I see you at shows.  Hope all is well!

submit them under standard then