• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taurus Auctions
2 2

48 posts in this topic

Seems like a collection liquidation which had some surprises and disappointments for the consignor, which is the way of auctions.  Seemed like a decent sale, and good luck to Taurus in the future!  Some graded books went low.  David

5 hours ago, malvin said:

So did anyone bid and win?

Malvin

I won the Arthur Adams piece.  I didn't find out until after it's the cover to Infernal Man-Thing 1.  I'm thinking the questioning of the integrity of the auction house played a part in a lower hammer price. I think it's legit, pretty much everything looked on the up and up to me and at the price it was worth the risk.

5 minutes ago, artdisease said:

I won the Arthur Adams piece.  I didn't find out until after it's the cover to Infernal Man-Thing 1.  I'm thinking the questioning of the integrity of the auction house played a part in a lower hammer price. I think it's legit, pretty much everything looked on the up and up to me and at the price it was worth the risk.

That was a great piece! I was asking questions on it this morning before the auction, they did not say it was a cover or even published, I did not know either so I would not go that high on it. After speaking to them most of the day I do not think it was so much an integrity thing but lack of knowledge thing. The Jae Lee sketch @Bird mentioned above that I won, was of wolverine.. yet listed as an unknown artist Batman sketch....lol

I was outbid on the few lots I was trying for. No biggie. The auction house is only a half hour from me though. Will keep an eye on future offerings.

Edited by AnkurJ

Sergio Argone

Dave Cocrun (that one was on a sketchbook with Cockrum's name on the cover!)

Brando Peterson

Simonson's sketch with his distinctive signature unattributed

Jae Lee unattributed

Horrific mistakes but some very very cheap prices on the sketches and many slabs

They should call me to verify stuff, I never realized what an expert I am but doing this for 30 years helps!

Edited by Bird

5 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

That was a great piece! I was asking questions on it this morning before the auction, they did not say it was a cover or even published, I did not know either so I would not go that high on it. After speaking to them most of the day I do not think it was so much an integrity thing but lack of knowledge thing. The Jae Lee sketch @Bird mentioned above that I won, was of wolverine.. yet listed as an unknown artist Batman sketch....lol

Yeah, I noticed a few instances of that and artists who signature you recognize but listed as unattributed artist.

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

Sergio Argone

Dave Cocrun (that one was on a sketchbook with Cockrum's name on the cover!)

Brando Peterson

Simonson's sketch with his distinctive signature unattributed

Jae Lee unattributed

Horrific mistakes but some very very cheap prices on the sketches and many slabs

They should call me to verify stuff, I never realized what an expert I am but doing this for 30 years helps!

Thanks for the confirmation on the Jae Lee this morning. 

Did you see this one? ( I won it by the way but thought it was funny)

Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America #3 by Marvel Comics, 7/07. Artist Sketch Edition. CGC Signature Series graded 9.6. Signed and cover sketch by Marc Wolfe and signed by Fallen Son actors Mike Mignola, Guillermo Del Toro and Ron Pearlman.

67934402_1_x.jpg?version=1&width=512&format=pjpg&auto=webp&quality=50

10 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Thanks for the confirmation on the Jae Lee this morning. 

Did you see this one? ( I won it by the way but thought it was funny)

Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America #3 by Marvel Comics, 7/07. Artist Sketch Edition. CGC Signature Series graded 9.6. Signed and cover sketch by Marc Wolfe and signed by Fallen Son actors Mike Mignola, Guillermo Del Toro and Ron Pearlman.

67934402_1_x.jpg?version=1&width=512&format=pjpg&auto=webp&quality=50

That is pretty funny. I am going through the items now still. Bill Skienkiewicz!

4 minutes ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

The text is too small on that scan. Who is the artist that drew THE RED SKULL? 

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic here... although it is drawn on a captain america book(no idea why) the art is Hellboy by Marc Wolfe and signed by all Hellboy related people Mike Mignola Ron Pearlman and Benicio del Toro

3 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic here... although it is drawn on a captain america book(no idea why) the art is Hellboy by Marc Wolfe and signed by all Hellboy related people Mike Mignola Ron Pearlman and Benicio del Toro

Hellboy?  Is this some kind of a sick joke?

Spoiler

:jokealert:

I won a couple of items also. Pieces looked legit but as previously noted lots of issues with the listings (misspelled names, misattributed art (‘Grell’ Canete  sketch, ‘Buscema’ Illiad Pages) and identifiably signed sketches with no artist noted which means there were potential deals for buyers but why would anyone consign with them? Unless it was an estate sale I would think any collector would feel he’d get better action from a more established comic/art   auction house.