• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chip on Cover. Should I Fix?

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I purchased this quite pristine copy of ASM #39 and upon receiving I found the right side of the page chipped off.

Looking for advice on whether to have the small portion taped with archival acid free tape to maintain the integrity of the cover.

I feel that it would benefit the book, but I'm worried it could detract from the book's grade having the tape applied.

Thoughts?

IMG_0026.jpg

That is probably the beginning of "Marvel Chipping", if it indeed is Marvel Chipping continued handling of the book will make it worse.

Marvel Chipping is a printing/bindery defect and it seems CGC has softened their stance on the defect.

As far as tape...

If you are only looking to attempt to preserve the integrity of the book IMO a small piece of tape on the inside cover to hold the piece in place is fine, I have numerous lower grade books that are held together with tape. (As the audience GASPS Loudly...:whatthe:).

CGC looks at Archival Tape as Restoration.

If Clear Cellophane tape is used the book is graded with the defect as if the tape were not present.