• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"I have some shares in Action 1"

30 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but... You're telling me that dozens of people will be investing in 1 car, and they're going to transfer ownership every month? Someone's gonna take that money and run at some point, if I am understanding correctly. Unfortunately, that's the way of our world.

Generations continually become less and less 'thoughtful' of one another. Instead of checking on your neighbors to make sure that they have enough, they're checking to see if they need to 1-up them. I'm okay with people being selfish, but this is a plague of something much worse than that.

Back to the topic - this is an awful idea. It look like people know history of something similar that did not work out.

FANTEX does something similar with professional sports contracts -- basically the players sells part of their future earnings for an immediate payout, investors can buy "shares" in the player, the player's stock price can go up/down, and there's usually an annual dividend payout.  Interesting concept, but it hasn't caught on to any sort of mass appeal.  I think they've had the same 6 NFL players signed on since inception, and it looks like the few MLB players that signed on are no longer being "traded" (Andrew Heaney is the only one I remember, and his share have closed). 

And let's face it, when we're talking about multiple owners buying "shares" in a comic, didn't The Simpsons already teach us how that will work out when Bart, Milhouse, and Martin all went in on that copy of Radioactive Man #1?

the asset isn't really all that liquid. I can't even imagine what the legal documentation required to do this would be. 1,000 people all invest $2,000.00 and the asset purchased is a CGC Action Comics #1 in 8.0

5 people want to sell their "investment" how does that happen?

Who owns it and therefore who physically has the book?

It is a Simpsons episode but on a larger scale.

Three_Men_and_a_Comic_Book.png

13 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

the asset isn't really all that liquid. I can't even imagine what the legal documentation required to do this would be. 1,000 people all invest $2,000.00 and the asset purchased is a CGC Action Comics #1 in 8.0

5 people want to sell their "investment" how does that happen?

Who owns it and therefore who physically has the book?

It is a Simpsons episode but on a larger scale.

Three_Men_and_a_Comic_Book.png

For an arrangement like this to function effectively, it would basically have to be set-up like an ETF such as GLD, wherein the share issuer has possession of the physical asset in trust.  Shareholders wanting to sell would have to put their shares on the open market to look for a buyer.

Bottom line, I don't foresee anyone rushing to register a comic backed ETF with the SEC anytime soon.

11 hours ago, Arkadin said:

"I have some shares in Action 1"

DEAR MR POINT FIVE SIR. MY NAME IS PRINCE LUCKYCOMICS OF NIGERIA. I HAVE RECENTLY RECEIVED AN ACTION #1 AND WISH TO SHARE IT. IF YOU CAN SEND US$5,000 BY BANK TRANSFER, YOU WILL OWN A SHARE. THE TRANSACTION IS 100% SAFE. PLEASE RESPOND URGENTLY.

Dear sir i am contact regard my father counselor general of Nigeria Abaeze Abayomrunkoje him recent die in horrifical plane crash.  That where you come in.  I never meet but feel I can trust completely with him large collection Action #1 and other Action #1 comic book and need US contact transfer books to you possession.  Pls send your full name, copy birth cerification, SSN, bank account and PIN # and DL thank you god bless with love and trust.

I'd like to make an initial public offering of some shares (i.e. pages I've cut out with an X-Acto blade) of Sonic Disruptors, Sun Devils and Kickers Inc. Limited offering!

Just now, F For Fake said:

I'd like to make an initial public offering of some shares (i.e. pages I've cut out with an X-Acto blade) of Sonic Disruptors, Sun Devils and Kickers Inc. Limited offering!

:flipbait:

This concept could work, however, the legal documentation would be considerable.

I would say for 1 book, it would not be worth doing, however, a group of "investors" could start a "fund" in which the assets of the fund were high end comic books.  Obviously, like any investment fund, it would need to be managed by someone who would have the ultimate decision on when to buy or sell a given asset (a particular book).

No, the individual investors would NOT get to take the books (the assets of fund) home with them.  The assets of the fund would need to be stored in a secure location and insured.

There is a LOT that would need to go into making this work, however, it is possible.

The BIG question would be who to get to manage the fund.  If it were my investment, I would want someone like @G.A.tor .  Not that he would have any interest in such a project, but he would be the kind of man I would want managing it.  Someone with his thumb on the comic market and MORE importantly, someone I could trust.

22 minutes ago, Hudson said:

This concept could work, however, the legal documentation would be considerable.

I would say for 1 book, it would not be worth doing, however, a group of "investors" could start a "fund" in which the assets of the fund were high end comic books.  Obviously, like any investment fund, it would need to be managed by someone who would have the ultimate decision on when to buy or sell a given asset (a particular book).

No, the individual investors would NOT get to take the books (the assets of fund) home with them.  The assets of the fund would need to be stored in a secure location and insured.

There is a LOT that would need to go into making this work, however, it is possible.

The BIG question would be who to get to manage the fund.  If it were my investment, I would want someone like @G.A.tor .  Not that he would have any interest in such a project, but he would be the kind of man I would want managing it.  Someone with his thumb on the comic market and MORE importantly, someone I could trust.

That sounds like the bitcoin somebody tried to start with an Avengers Annual #7.

2 hours ago, jaeldubyoo said:

That sounds like the bitcoin somebody tried to start with an Avengers Annual #7.

Not at all, ComicCoin was a total scam from the get go, and everyone knew it.  @Hudson is talking about a product akin to a physical asset backed fund that would be properly registered.  Terms like "secure location", "insured", and "someone I could trust" were all foreign to the ComicCoin people.