• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicArtAds auction preview--Heritage weekly auction ending 6/16/19
1 1

31 posts in this topic

Nice write-up as always, Lee. Sorry that you’re caught in the crossfire with this gov’t shutdown. Glad you have ways to occupy your time. I hope you won’t have to liquidate your collection to pay the bills. Here’s to seeing an end to it. 

2 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Nice write-up as always, Lee. Sorry that you’re caught in the crossfire with this gov’t shutdown. Glad you have ways to occupy your time. I hope you won’t have to liquidate your collection to pay the bills. Here’s to seeing an end to it. 

???

Err, it's a surprise paid vacation. No more, no less. Everybody always gets retro-paid. Always.

As a small business owner, if I don't work I don't get paid...guess I should have chased harder for a government job...but whatevs lol

Enjoy the time off Lee ;)

4 minutes ago, vodou said:

???

Err, it's a surprise paid vacation. No more, no less. Everybody always gets retro-paid. Always.

As a small business owner, if I don't work I don't get paid...guess I should have chased harder for a government job...but whatevs lol

Enjoy the time off Lee ;)

I know it’s hard to believe, but not everyone is flush with cash. 

10 minutes ago, vodou said:

Nobody knows better than the small business owner the perma-risks of...cashflow lollollol (or rather the reduction of or lack thereof!)

You’re absolutely right; so happy that the SBA got a surprise paid vacation :whee:

11 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

You’re absolutely right; so happy that the SBA got a surprise paid vacation :whee:

Meanwhile, much more ON TOPIC (to this and pretty much all threads here...) the IRS won't process/issue refunds during a shutdown. So...how much could that eff up HA's big February sale? Might be, but doubtful. a firesale for those with cash-in-hand :)

5 hours ago, vodou said:

Meanwhile, much more ON TOPIC (to this and pretty much all threads here...) the IRS won't process/issue refunds during a shutdown. So...how much could that eff up HA's big February sale? Might be, but doubtful. a firesale for those with cash-in-hand :)

First you talk about the “perma-risk of cashflow for the small business owner,” now it’s about exploiting a “firesale for those with cash-in-hand,” all the while using the implied first-person perspective. So which one are you? Cash-strapped small business owner or flush-with-cash small business owner? I, too, am confused about your positions. 

The very fact that the IRS won’t be able to process tax refunds to millions of Americans whose well-being relies on their tax refunds is reason enough to want public servants to get back to work, and not praise the shut down as a “paid vacation.”

Edited by Jay Olie Espy

Good afternoon!  I have another ComicArtAds auction prediction gov't shutdown special for you all, focusing on John Buscema, Gene Colan, and George Tuska art in this week's Heritage weekly auction:

http://www.comicartads.com/content/heritage-weekly-auction-ending-11319

Thanks in advance for checking it out, and special thanks to Jay Olie for his supportive comments, which I just noticed.  Best regards, Lee

1 hour ago, Lee B. said:

Good afternoon!  I have another ComicArtAds auction prediction gov't shutdown special for you all, focusing on John Buscema, Gene Colan, and George Tuska art in this week's Heritage weekly auction:

http://www.comicartads.com/content/heritage-weekly-auction-ending-11319

Thanks in advance for checking it out, and special thanks to Jay Olie for his supportive comments, which I just noticed.  Best regards, Lee

Great job Lee, finding comp's for all your art estimates!  Heritage is still putting some serious art in these weekly auctions, sheesh

On 1/3/2019 at 7:03 PM, Jay Olie Espy said:

First you talk about the “perma-risk of cashflow for the small business owner,” now it’s about exploiting a “firesale for those with cash-in-hand,” all the while using the implied first-person perspective. So which one are you? Cash-strapped small business owner or flush-with-cash small business owner? I, too, am confused about your positions. 

The very fact that the IRS won’t be able to process tax refunds to millions of Americans whose well-being relies on their tax refunds is reason enough to want public servants to get back to work, and not praise the shut down as a “paid vacation.”

Ah ha...I see you edited your reply after I reacted with a 'confused face'. I don't remember what you originally wrote now, except that it made little sense (evidently you realized this too...later), but it sure wasn't what's there now. L O L.

1. Cash-strapped is your phrase not mine. Cashflow (different) is actually important to everybody not just the owner, but the employees don't know how important until they are let go ;) for economic reasons.

2. Flush-with-cash? Again your phrase not mine. Who's that guy? Not me. But if one does manage their cashflow carefully, responsibly, properly (in the office and at home) there will be liquid money to spend when everybody else is selling or sitting on the sidelines chickensh!t style. That's the position any contrarian would want to be in, buying when everybody else is selling. Few things were better investments than the firesale called The Great Depression...you just had to have an excess of real cash ready to deploy.

3. Neither are "positions" of mine. But as a small business owner (not employee of 'somebody else') I do think I'm much more in direct touch with cashflow and it's importance in all our lives.

The IRS headline was rather quickly backpedaled, they will be processing refunds same-old same-old, if nothing else...there's likely a law somewhere about due process re: asset seizure (payroll deduction) that could be triggered along with reverse penalties and interest due.

SBA...oh yeah, who gives a fig about them? Not me. Just another mouth feeding at the public trough, those folks. Good riddance, I say!

Anything else I can assist you with today, sir?

Happy to read your new post Lee; sorry about the cash flow problem. I don't understand why funds for employees have to be frozen even if they aren't permitted to perform functions while the politicions fight over this.

Also happy the Dillon thing died down. Some of the recent prices went slightly under market value in my opinion (I still think market value is too high).

Hi all!  Glad to be back to work (even if today is a snow day), and also glad to have finally written another ComicArtAds auction preview for the Heritage weekly auction ending this Sunday 2/24.  The last few weekly auctions have not been that amazing, but this week makes up for it and then some.  You can read my predictions here, as well as the results of my predictions from mid-January:

http://www.comicartads.com/content/heritage-weekly-auction-ending-22419

Thanks!  Best regards, Lee

1 hour ago, Lee B. said:

Hi all!  Glad to be back to work (even if today is a snow day), and also glad to have finally written another ComicArtAds auction preview for the Heritage weekly auction ending this Sunday 2/24.  The last few weekly auctions have not been that amazing, but this week makes up for it and then some.  You can read my predictions here, as well as the results of my predictions from mid-January:

http://www.comicartads.com/content/heritage-weekly-auction-ending-22419

Thanks!  Best regards, Lee

About that Phantom Stranger page, I think your pre-auction estimate is in line with what have been the price run-ups in general for his work lately. But so much has come on the market since last year, including a page on Clink (that was not as good as this one) which went for a little less than $500. I think the market will slack off a bit. So, I would guess closer to $1,300-1,500 including BP. But I think I will pass on it.

If you are curious about that story, the bad guy captured the Phantom Stranger and had his heart removed for a transplant to replace his own failing one. PS later tracks him down, and later the bad guy is found dead. The stolen heart is missing. That was also the very first Phantom Stranger story I ever read, and a great one.

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

If you are curious about that story, the bad guy captured the Phantom Stranger and had his heart removed for a transplant to replace his own failing one. PS later tracks him down, and later the bad guy is found dead. The stolen heart is missing. That was also the very first Phantom Stranger story I ever read, and a great one.

I was curious about that story Rick, and I'm not disappointed by the helpful and gruesome details you provided.  Aparo really had a knack for bringing those disturbing stories to life, while also drawing in a lovely and appealing style.  Looking forward to seeing how this page finishes.  I always think bidders will be worn out after Signature auctions, but then these Sunday auctions can really surprise me by finishing strong. 

7 hours ago, Lee B. said:

I was curious about that story Rick, and I'm not disappointed by the helpful and gruesome details you provided.  Aparo really had a knack for bringing those disturbing stories to life, while also drawing in a lovely and appealing style.  Looking forward to seeing how this page finishes.  I always think bidders will be worn out after Signature auctions, but then these Sunday auctions can really surprise me by finishing strong. 

That story is an example of what makes the character so appealing to me, not his role as cosmic nanny. 

On 2/20/2019 at 7:29 PM, Rick2you2 said:

About that Phantom Stranger page, I think your pre-auction estimate is in line with what have been the price run-ups in general for his work lately. But so much has come on the market since last year, including a page on Clink (that was not as good as this one) which went for a little less than $500. I think the market will slack off a bit. So, I would guess closer to $1,300-1,500 including BP. But I think I will pass on it.

I hit the range. It came in at $1,380 with Buyer's Premium.

I think the prices are going to stablize for his stuff or sink further (unless something really top notch comes up of course). 

1 hour ago, Rick2you2 said:

I hit the range. It came in at $1,380 with Buyer's Premium.

I think the prices are going to stablize for his stuff or sink further (unless something really top notch comes up of course). 

Nice work Rick!  Watch out, you're going to put me out of business.  I didn't nail very many of my predictions for today, but I was most off-base with the Ms. Marvel #4 page, which went for more than twice my estimate.  Is there a movie coming out or something? 

9 minutes ago, Lee B. said:

Nice work Rick!  Watch out, you're going to put me out of business.  I didn't nail very many of my predictions for today, but I was most off-base with the Ms. Marvel #4 page, which went for more than twice my estimate.  Is there a movie coming out or something? 

The Ms. Marvel panel surprised me as well - nice to know 70s art isn't dead yet1