• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUESS THIS! Most common CGC slab (book AND grade)
1 1

GUESS FIRST (don't cheat) - What is the most common CGC book AND grade according to the CGC Census (January 1, 2019)?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. GUESS FIRST (don't cheat) - What is the most common CGC book AND grade according to the CGC Census (January 1, 2019)?

• Universal CGC 9.6 Amazing Spider-Man #300
    • Universal CGC 9.4 Amazing Spider-Man #300
    • Universal CGC 9.2 Amazing Spider-Man #300
    • Universal CGC 9.8 Batman: The Killing Joke
    • Universal CGC 9.8 Spawn #1
    • Universal CGC 9.8 New Mutants #98
    • Universal CGC 9.6 New Mutants #98
    • Universal CGC 9.8 Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #8
    • Universal CGC 9.6 Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #8
    • Universal CGC 9.8 Venom: Lethal Protector #1
    • Universal CGC 9.8 Amazing Spider-Man #361
    • Universal CGC 9.6 Amazing Spider-Man #361

63 posts in this topic

I was one of the plurality that thought it must be ASM 300 9.4.  I wouldn't have thought that Spawn #1 would have had enough fans to get that number slabbed.  But it turns out that a majority of Spawn #1's were 9.8's whereas most other comics have a much bigger spread of scores.  Interesting thread.

Oh and wondering where you got your numbers from since they don't match up exactly with the numbers on http://cgcdata.com/cgc/cgctop/.  Were you just counting universal instead of universal and signature?

Edited by thunsicker

39 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

it turns out that a majority of Spawn #1's were 9.8's whereas most other comics have a much bigger spread of scores.  Interesting thread.

This is the key. The grades of all the other books were spread out but Spawn #1 had concentration in 9.8 .

2 hours ago, thunsicker said:

I was one of the plurality that thought it must be ASM 300 9.4.  I wouldn't have thought that Spawn #1 would have had enough fans to get that number slabbed.  But it turns out that a majority of Spawn #1's were 9.8's whereas most other comics have a much bigger spread of scores.  Interesting thread.

Oh and wondering where you got your numbers from since they don't match up exactly with the numbers on http://cgcdata.com/cgc/cgctop/.  Were you just counting universal instead of universal and signature?

Yes, I was separating blue from yellow to see what label is most common.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

This is the key. The grades of all the other books were spread out but Spawn #1 had concentration in 9.8 .

Correct, overall, Spawn #1 is 9th most submitted, but the concentration of 9.8s makes it #1 in label and grade combination.

well I sure didnt see that comin!!  Spawn???  #1 book is drek??

Edited by kav

27 minutes ago, kav said:

well I sure didnt see that comin!!  Spawn???  #1 book is drek??

It's pretty simple...

Make a list of books everyone already owns or they could easily find for under $10.

Now, for however many books are on that list, find the book that sells for the most money in CGC 9.8.

Submit that book.

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It's pretty simple...

Make a list of books everyone already owns or they could easily find for under $10.

Now, for however many books are on that list, find the book that sells for the most money in CGC 9.8.

Submit that book.

bingo

23 hours ago, valiantman said:

Without looking them up (you'll know if you're cheating or not)... what does everyone GUESS is the most common CGC book AND grade according to the CGC Census (January 1, 2019)?

well I "guessed" by checking what we had as the most traded book in GPA - so I kinda cheated :bigsmile:

32 minutes ago, Cliff R. said:

But how many of those 9.8 Spawn #1s have a red modern label? 

About 216 would have had the red modern label... so it's still #1 if you remove those as "not being a blue 9.8 label".