• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GUESS THIS! Most common CGC slab (book AND grade)
1 1

GUESS FIRST (don't cheat) - What is the most common CGC book AND grade according to the CGC Census (January 1, 2019)?  

201 members have voted

1. 1. GUESS FIRST (don't cheat) - What is the most common CGC book AND grade according to the CGC Census (January 1, 2019)?

• Universal CGC 9.6 Amazing Spider-Man #300
    • Universal CGC 9.4 Amazing Spider-Man #300
    • Universal CGC 9.2 Amazing Spider-Man #300
    • Universal CGC 9.8 Batman: The Killing Joke
    • Universal CGC 9.8 Spawn #1
    • Universal CGC 9.8 New Mutants #98
    • Universal CGC 9.6 New Mutants #98
    • Universal CGC 9.8 Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #8
    • Universal CGC 9.6 Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #8
    • Universal CGC 9.8 Venom: Lethal Protector #1
    • Universal CGC 9.8 Amazing Spider-Man #361
    • Universal CGC 9.6 Amazing Spider-Man #361

63 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Cliff R. said:

But how many of those 9.8 Spawn #1s have a red modern label? 

I may resubmit mine. Should be a 10.0 now.

I bought my Spawn 1 in 9.9 for around $300 and sold it a few years later for around $1600. Just sayin. :)

18 hours ago, valiantman said:

By the way, it is possible that CGC 9.6 New Mutants #98 will move into 1st place by this time next year... it gained 500 last year.

That is what I guessed it would be.

Spawn?! I'm shocked. That book has zero desirability for me, zero. Same goes for NM #98 but I do like buying that cheap and selling for more.

1 minute ago, seanfingh said:

I outfoxed myself. I narrowed it to Spawn 1 9.8 and ASM 361 9.6. I used movie hype and general bad grading to convince myself it was the latter. D'oh!!

My first thought would have been Wolvie Limited 1....but I knew that Spawn and ASM300 were up there too. 

Was going to pick ASM 300 CGC 9.6 but correctly picked Spawn 1 because of the massive print run and 9.8s are going for $100 sometimes. 

4 hours ago, 999ghosts said:

I think there was a topic (on the old forum) about Spawn being the most slabbed book. At least that's what I remembered and therefor picked (before I saw the result in this thread).

The most slabbed book is Amazing Spider-Man #300, but New Mutants #98 has been creeping up behind in the 2nd spot.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/cgctop/

Spawn #1 is currently the 9th most slabbed book, but the percentage of CGC 9.8 for Spawn #1 is higher than any individual grade for ASM #300 and NM #98 or any other comic. 

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Was going to pick ASM 300 CGC 9.6 but correctly picked Spawn 1 because of the massive print run and 9.8s are going for $100 sometimes. 

Spawn #1 must have a fairly large demand to command around $100 for a 9.8 with so many copies out there??  I like Spawn a lot.  I have some of the earlier issues.  

1 hour ago, musicmeta said:

Spawn #1 must have a fairly large demand to command around $100 for a 9.8 with so many copies out there??  I like Spawn a lot.  I have some of the earlier issues.  

Can you think of another 1st appearance of a character with a ongoing series with over 250 issues that is not over $100 in CGC 9.8?  Classic TM cover to boot and I'd think the book should be at least $200 but the supply of that issue in high grade is staggering.

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Can you think of another 1st appearance of a character with a ongoing series with over 250 issues that is not over $100 in CGC 9.8?  Classic TM cover to boot and I'd think the book should be at least $200 but the supply of that issue in high grade is staggering.

The supply of that issue in any condition is staggering.  Someone here in another thread pointed to a McFarlane bio that said 1.7 million copies were printed.  Compare that to the less than half a million copies of ASM 300  or quarter of a million copies of NM 98 and you can see why it hasn't taken off like other comics of the same period.

On 1/3/2019 at 3:24 PM, newshane said:

I bought my Spawn 1 in 9.9 for around $300 and sold it a few years later for around $1600. Just sayin. :)

Quite a few 9.9s and even 10s sold in the early days (pre-2010) for modest prices...before it became obvious that CGC artificially holds back those grades, making them far, far rarer than they actually should be, given the numbers. The number of 9.9s should not be a mere 1% of the number of 9.8s, when the number of 9.6s is roughly 50% the number of 9.8s.

On 1/4/2019 at 1:27 PM, thunsicker said:

The supply of that issue in any condition is staggering.  Someone here in another thread pointed to a McFarlane bio that said 1.7 million copies were printed.  Compare that to the less than half a million copies of ASM 300  or quarter of a million copies of NM 98 and you can see why it hasn't taken off like other comics of the same period.

I believe your numbers for ASM #300 and NM #98 are reversed...but the point still stands. NM #98 was ordered more heavily than ASM #300, by about 20-30%. ASM #300 was more heavily ordered than #298 and #299...and #301, 302, 303, etc....but not by much. And Spidey wasn't selling all that great in those late '87/early '88 days.

But yes, Spawn #1 was printed in huge numbers, and probably 90% of those books remain "in high grade" to this day, having been heavily speculated. I guess people didn't learn their lesson two years earlier.