• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 "THIS SCORE NEEDS FIXIN" REQUESTS
4 4

52 posts in this topic

I would like for Daredevil #1 to be looked at for a point increase. I see his point total for a 4.5 is 880. He is one of the original characters from the beginning that has made an impact in the history of Marvel. I believe a 4.5 goes for like $1600 but I was wondering why his 4.5 #1 is less than Journey Into Mystery #83 4.5. Thank you for your time.

Score slightly increased after research. Thank you for your patience

Hi Mollie,

Didn't even realize this thread was 'a thing' - thanks for posting.  It's the end of 2019 though, so I may have to copy this into a 2020 thread if that gets added soon? 

I'm not much of a registry guy, I do collect runs, ultra high grade runs, mainly bronze age superhero stuff, along with low/mid grade silver and gold.  But there is one set that I've been trying to put together for many years, from the Copper Age, and it's so elusive I've decided to actually register it on cgc's site.  Only set I've ever registered.  I've been collecting over 30 years and been slabbing books with CGC since 2000.

The run is Cry for Dawn (1989).  It's an indie with a low print run - often classified under horror or adult, so I understand there aren't many graded copies, but after chasing a 9.8 run for years I think the scores need to be re-evaluated.  I buy raw copies constantly trying to find 9.8s, they are impossible to find.  Mainly because of poor printing production - rusty staples, particularly on issues 5-9 and cardstock covers where creases/nicks show up and cannot be pressed out like traditional covers. 

I actually think the 1st print (regular) copies or #2 and #3 should actually be lowered in points, compared to the rest of the set they are fairly common in high grade and don't command a premium in price over the other issues, I think they should be in line point wise with issues #4-6.

for reference #1 1st print has 26 copies graded at 9.8, last recorded sale according to GPA in 9.8 went for $1200 in Oct 2019

#1 2nd print (new cover), there are only 3 copies graded at 9.8 and should be worth more points - last recorded sale according to GPA in 9.8 was in Feb 2009 ($275), 10 years ago

#1 3rd print (new cover), there are only 4 copies graded at 9.8 and should be worth more points - last recorded sale according to GPA in 9.8 was in Mar 2010 ($260), 10 years ago

#5 2nd print (new cover), there are zero copies graded at 9.8 and this is the 2nd most desired book in the set behind #1 1st print, add in rusty staples, cardstock cover, red cover that shows EVERYTHING and this is the perfect storm for very few 9.8s to EVER surface - there are only 3 graded at 9.6 - in my opinion this should be worth FAR MORE points, currently it is worth the least in the set when it should be near the highest - last recorded sale according to GPA for a 9.6 (as no 9.8s) was $120 in Jun 2010, almost 10 years ago

Then there are the limited editions - #4-9 have limited editions.  #4-6 are limited to 1500 copies, #7-9 are limited to 2000 copies.  These were mailed to fans in plain manila envelopes in the early 90s without protection - plus other than #4, they all suffer from rusty staples and cardstock covers that show everything.  I'm shocked there are ANY 9.8s or 9.6s.

#4 limited - 2 in 9.8, 8 in 9.6 - last recorded sale according to GPA in 9.6 (as no 9.8 sales) was $224 in Jan 2018

#5 limited - 1 in 9.8, 7 in 9.6 - last recorded sale according to GPA in 9.6 (as no 9.8 sales) was $225 in Dec 2015

#6 limited - 3 in 9.8, 2 in 9.6 - last recorded sale according to GPA in 9.6 (as no 9.8 sales) was $299 in Feb 2017

#7 limited - 0 in 9.8, 3 in 9.6 - last recorded sale according to GPA in 9.6 (as no 9.8s) was $240 in Oct 2017

#8 limited - 1 in 9.8, 6 in 9.6 - last recorded sale according to GPA in 9.6 (as no 9.8 sales) was $178 in Dec 2016

#9 limited - 2 in 9.8, 4 in 9.6 - the only limited edition with a 9.8 recorded sale, a 9.8 went for $295 in Mar 2018

I feel these should all be worth FAR MORE points.

The other book from the run that is difficult to find, mainly because of rusty staples, is the regular 1st print edition of #8 - there are only 6 copies graded at 9.8.  I think that book should be worth more points as well.  Last recorded sale according to GPA in 9.8 was $125 in Nov 2015, so maybe the points on this one are pretty close?

Thank you for your post. I have updated the books with recent auction sales that have been graded by CGC. 

On 3/19/2019 at 4:07 PM, Pirate said:

Some examples of keys I believe need reviews.  I know the algorithm is based on rarity, issue, title.  In today's market price is a big indicator of rarity on keys.

Werewolf by Night #32  a 7.5 is worth 250 points and goes for about $900 

She-Hulk #1 9.8 is worth 440 points and goes for $300 

Marvel Premiere #15 CGC 9.2 675 points worth about $400 

Daredevil #168 9.6 925 points  worth about $400

Amazing Spiderman #194 9.6 380 points worth over $500

Thanks for updating meh

On 3/24/2019 at 4:35 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Hi Mollie,

looking at Detective 30 registry point allocation and sales data, I think a correct adjustment across all grades would be of X 2.5. There are only 36 Universal copies on the census and while GPA sales are few and far between, the 2.5 multiplier would be correct for both Restored and Universal in most grades (based on additional sales data not reported officially)

Thank you.

ps GoT Final Season sooooooon !!!! :whee:

I don't see a point update or maybe it is reflected only the week after hm

Hello. The slight point increase should be live at this time. Please let me know if you are still not seeing it. Please note that this book does not have a lot of recent sales to use for point purposes so only a slight increase was done. Thank you