• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best of 2018: BUDGET EDITION - Discussion Thread

18 posts in this topic

RULES FOR ENTRY: :rulez:

• You cannot have paid more than $400 for the art. (I raised the cap from $300 last year. Go wild!) This price must include Buyer's Premium. Shipping, handling, and insurance are not factored in. Convention entry fees are not relevant. No, we cannot verify your purchase price. We are on the honor system here. And let's leave off items that you acquired within a larger group purchase unless they were specifically itemized. Again, honor system!
  • You must have acquired the piece during 2018. If you paid for it, but it hasn't arrived yet, it is still eligible.

I don't know if anyone else catalogs their purchases, but COLLECTORZ makes finding eligible pieces nice and easy.

It's not the fact that I purchase so many pages, just that it's hard to remember 10 or 11 months ago exactly when the purchase was made or for how much.  I highly recommend this program. It's meant for comics, but easily adapts to OA   (thumbsu

filter.jpg

I use a Google Spreadsheet - I used to use Collectorz when I still collected comics (and I might still if I had an art collection near the size of what I imagine @mister_not_so_nice has) and definitely include purchase dates, prices, artist, published, acquired from columns, etc, etc.  If I didn't track the dates or where I picked up a particular piece there is no way I'd remember half of that information with any accuracy... and like I said, I have a small collection.

1 hour ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

I don't know if anyone else catalogs their purchases, but COLLECTORZ makes finding eligible pieces nice and easy.

It's not the fact that I purchase so many pages, just that it's hard to remember 10 or 11 months ago exactly when the purchase was made or for how much.  I highly recommend this program. It's meant for comics, but easily adapts to OA   (thumbsu

filter.jpg

Heh, caf has a feature that shows upload by year, I use that as a guide 

I keep really accurate spreadsheet featuring source, costs, etc. I've even added an equation to help me rank my collection. Yes, I've applied the Andy Robbins method to my collection and have every piece ranked from 1 to 200+. I may add that as a topic for discussion. Andy goes further than I plan. He culls the bottom 10% each year and reinvests the money. That's a good idea if you aren't too compulsive. :)

@MIL0S asked... Nice Sale prelim. I noticed you listed yours as a 'published' piece. I posted another Sale cover prelim and after thinking about it opted to mark it unpublished since a prelim/layout isn't the actual published art. What do others think, is a prelim/layout/rough  considered published art or not?

For the purposes of the Best Of, let's say you can put prelims in whichever category YOU want. Otherwise, we will get bogged down into a conversation about what constitutes a prelim in this current landscape of separate pencils, inks, blueline copies, etc.

I will say, personally, I list a prelim as "Published Art" and "Prelim" when I put it on my CAF. So, I'd probably go Published here for Best Of too.

Edited by BCarter27

Here are my nominees:

BEST OF 2018: BUDGET EDITION NOMINEES

Unpublished Commission    Sugar and Spike #100    Chris Giarrusso    $250ish

One of my sub-themes consists of creating covers to the non-existent S&S 100. The first series ran to 98 when his eye problems made it to hard to draw. While the book resumed overseas, it stopped there for decades until DC released number 99, as DC Silver Age Classics Sugar and Spike 99. In order to amend that failure and to honor Sheldon Mayer, I’ve had a few variant covers created for the book should it ever need one. ☺

image.png.c23c6e24f6acf7bb197ba852da520946.png

Unpublished Commission    The Three Mouseketeers    Andy Runton    $40

I have a sketchbook – just started this year – that will have other artists drawing Sheldon Mayer’s characters. Folks like: Sugar and Spike, Scribbly & Co., the Three Mouseketeers, Black Orchid, etc. Andy nailed this one.

image.png.ecfa4d564b78a961321d54b7350effd0.png

Unpublished Cover    Sugar and Spike Preliminary Cover    Sheldon Mayer    $30

Sheldon's granddaughter, Chelle, sold this on eBay. Nobody bid except for me. I think it's really cute.

image.png.e76203ae1cb8505f2775bd57cec74a40.png

Unpublished Commission    Owly & Friends    Andy Runton    $40

Andy’s work is wonderful and you should read Owly. Okay, look at the pictures; there are no words. This belongs to my wife and she has it and some other coaster art in a stand on her desk.

image.png.bf3401769e9c5ff26b712089099eb903.png

Unpublished Commission    Wallace the Brave    Will Henry    $0

Read Wallace the Brave, you’ll be glad that you did.

image.png.df23e7d053d4ba30448668073171fa99.png

Unpublished Commission    Thea at Rest    Daniel Warren Johnson    $100

I first saw Daniel’s work on his book Extremity. It’s moving and thoughtful and a rocking good read. This is one of the leads, Thea. She lost an extremity in extreme circumstances and the impact resonates through the book. Check it out.

image.png.a988c0ddc23b77ce466748dee703f446.png

Unpublished Commission    Katy Keene    Dan Parent    $100

Bill Woggon (50s,60s,70s) and John Sterling Lucas (80s) thrilled my daughters with their work on Katy Keene. Dan Parent shows that the can handle our beautiful model without issue. This is from my youngest daughter’s sketchbook.

image.png.4222f11f0973ff13a2c788ed06cc5ba5.png

Unpublished Commission    Cap Stubbs and Tippee    Edwina Dumm    $60 for the pair

Just wonderful strips that people don’t hear much about these days. It ran for a really long time, too, 48 years. Read all about it here.

image.png.947f25e9cf0dffeadb7dd5db01ce46c6.png

5 minutes ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

@JoeRock, looking at this piece you posted in the 2018 Budget edition, I'm wondering if Pugh meant to have all 4 text boxes on the right side of the bottom panel? 

Reveal hidden contents

336FF92D-5816-417C-8320-607A177EAB4E.jpe

When I first saw the page listed, I thought the same thing, so I pulled out my copy, nope that’s it. Perhaps originally that was the idea? Either way, beautiful Pugh work, glad no one likes HB haha

68BE0B17-1DED-4926-88E6-A2DB2C5304BF.jpeg

24 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Loved the original series, don't own any of the art, have 15 or so of the deluxe trades. So... there are dozens of us.

I was just kidding with that comment:bigsmile: but that being said, every once awhile a gem of a page, well to me at least, will pop up for a great price. Compared to other titles 

Edited by JoeRock

10 hours ago, mister_not_so_nice said:

@JoeRock, looking at this piece you posted in the 2018 Budget edition, I'm wondering if Pugh meant to have all 4 text boxes on the right side of the bottom panel? 

Reveal hidden contents

336FF92D-5816-417C-8320-607A177EAB4E.jpe

I'm thinking "doubtful" as doing that wouldn't move your eye (the reader's) left to right and up to down as it's supposed to. That's storytelling over art, which only the early Image guys generally flipped upside down and still kept their jobs lol

15 hours ago, alxjhnsn said:

Unpublished Commission    Katy Keene    Dan Parent    $100

Bill Woggon (50s,60s,70s) and John Sterling Lucas (80s) thrilled my daughters with their work on Katy Keene. Dan Parent shows that the can handle our beautiful model without issue. This is from my youngest daughter’s sketchbook.

image.png.4222f11f0973ff13a2c788ed06cc5ba5.png

Didn't I just see this show up in the new art section of comic art tracker? It caught my attention because I liked it.

Edited by Rick2you2