• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why are Hawkmans so cheap?

18 posts in this topic

The Kubert issues of Brave and the Bold maintain strong prices, but the regular title has been flat for years.  I've seen a slight uptick in interest in Atom in the last couple of years, but both titles seem like a bargain at their current prices.  Why dont they sell? Too many surviving copies?  Are the stories horrible?  Run collectors scared off because they have to pay for the Zatanna key?  Run issues dumped on the market because of the Zatanna key?

13 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

The Kubert issues of Brave and the Bold maintain strong prices, but the regular title has been flat for years.  I've seen a slight uptick in interest in Atom in the last couple of years, but both titles seem like a bargain at their current prices.  Why dont they sell? Too many surviving copies?  Are the stories horrible?  Run collectors scared off because they have to pay for the Zatanna key?  Run issues dumped on the market because of the Zatanna key?

This is another example of a case where Quality DOESN'T sell.... the stories are cool and the art is some of Murphy Andersons best …. I've often wondered the same thing. Other than BB 34 , I consider the other Kubert issues to be equally as undervalued. I knew this day would come, but the vintage comic market reminds me of coins more and more... Keys or bust. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

to me, if they're charging anything at all for them, they're not quite cheap enough.

Without at least some clarification,

I suppose one can make this exact same statement about

any character, any title, any genre, any period, any comic

12 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

This is another example of a case where Quality DOESN'T sell.... the stories are cool and the art is some of Murphy Andersons best …. I've often wondered the same thing. Other than BB 34 , I consider the other Kubert issues to be equally as undervalued. I knew this day would come, but the vintage comic market reminds me of coins more and more... Keys or bust. GOD BLESS....

true but it seems to me that all dates from all denominations of the seated liberty series sells....no??

When I first collected comics as a kid in the late 70s, I got into Hawkman because of the awesome artwork and science-themed stories, and completed a low-grade run of #1-27...

When I got back into collecting Silver Age comics in 2000 I decided to collect the Brave and the Bold and Mystery in Space Hawkman issues, along with Hawkman #1-20 in mid to high grade...I have a few books to go, but at least have a Hawkman #4 (whew!).

31 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

true but it seems to me that all dates from all denominations of the seated liberty series sells....no??

They're certainly my favorites …. all I've got left is an 1849 AU Half Dollar in my type set ….. I once had proof specimens of the 1884 quarter and half.... I miss those sometimes. GOD BLESS....

The B&B issues are beautiful to look at but horrible to read. (Not so much the self-titled run) 

But I recently read the six B&B issues in a tpb that was in a small collection I bought, and I had to force-feed them to myself. Conceptually, the Hawkman reinvention in the silver age was cool, but it does not read well in my opinion.

13 hours ago, the blob said:

Series did not last long. Character has never been able to maintain a series. Sub-Mariner doesn't sell well. 

I actually sell SA Sub-mariner consistently, as it is more readable than SA Aquaman or slow titles like Plastic Man. Harley actually had a customer at Fan Expo Vancouver that wanted to fill in large chunks of his SA Subby run.

8 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

I actually sell SA Sub-mariner consistently, as it is more readable than SA Aquaman or slow titles like Plastic Man. Harley actually had a customer at Fan Expo Vancouver that wanted to fill in large chunks of his SA Subby run.

I buy them consistently too, but only on the cheap. I have a huge stockpile of nice Subby books. I put them up on ebay from time to time trying to get half guide or something and usually go nowhere. Throw SA Hawkman books in ok shape in a $2 box and I am all over that too. When are either making their movie debut? I know Hawkman (or is  it just girl?) has been on TV, but I think that has no bump anymore unless it is their own show.

So is the issue weak prices or not being able to sell them at all? I agree, when priced right they all sell.

Edited by the blob

On 1/4/2019 at 10:51 AM, JollyComics said:

I saw few Subby #1 at my LCS. They are still sitting there. Most of them are in VG condition.

That was 1968, when print runs spiked, wasn't it?  Hawkman finished about that time, but no one's saying there are too many copies around, just no interest at all.

There are definitely too many issues of Subby floating around, there have been since I was a kid.  I can argue that you probably want the first 20, if not the first 35.  That was a good title.

8 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

That was 1968, when print runs spiked, wasn't it?  Hawkman finished about that time, but no one's saying there are too many copies around, just no interest at all.

There are definitely too many issues of Subby floating around, there have been since I was a kid.  I can argue that you probably want the first 20, if not the first 35.  That was a good title.

I was too young to read #1 but I remembered later Subby issues in early 1970's. My mom always gave me Iron man, Subby, Hawkman and other undesired books. My mom knew I always love Batman and Spidey and asked my mom why she didn't get my favorite titles. She told me there were no Batman or Spidey but there were plenty of Subby, Iron man, Hawkman and other books even in many multiple comic book packs!  That was explained!