• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I worry about putting all of my comic books in mylar?

26 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I think there's a good argument that the process of pulling all those relatively undisturbed books out, removing them from the old bags, putting them into new bags, and putting them back in the boxes may do as much damage or more damage than just leaving them alone.

I think the damage would be minimal.  Invisible fingerprints perhaps...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6ed.jpg.1e70da1293e992c7a47b8dd2bb724649.jpg

Yes my friend Charlotte give you the old stink eye...

Edited by Karl Liebl

11 hours ago, FineCollector said:

This thread is making me wonder how many people still have their books in crinkly mylites and top loaders.  They've likely had the same books in the same protection since the 80s.

"Crinkly Mylites", I would be one of them,

Books bought/acquired in the 80's/early 90's are still stored in the original 1 Mil Mylites I purchased from my LCS at the time, that would probably be the majority of my ASM and F.F runs to #200.

Part of the calculation for using mylar vs poly bags is the time spent rebagging as the poly starts to break down.

The boards are as important as the bag.  Invest in the best possible boards as a cheap board can do damage to books over time.

Another thing to consider, the more you handle your books the greater your chance of damaging your books from things like tape pulls and corner dings, etc.

As others have said, if you are keeping your books for an amount of time, then Mylar makes sense, if you are going to move them fairly quick and don't need to change out old bags and boards then the mylar would make less sense.