• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay starts new managed payments

9 posts in this topic

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/2018/09/08/more-info-for-sellers-as-ebay-kicks-off-new-managed-payments/

Breaking news to me, though I saw this coming with the eBay Paypal relinquishment several years ago.  I noticed when purchasing eBay branded shipping supplies this afternoon from their official store that I could only check out using a credit card — no PayPal.  This is eBay's new branded merchant account terminal which is different than Authorize.net or any other merchant API tie-ins eBay's offered in the past.

I like it, and reminds me a lot of Stripe as you can save your payment method which certainly streamlines the process and allows for quicker checkout.

My question for prospective buyers, would you still prefer to use PayPal? All else equal would you buy from a seller that offered PayPal versus the new eBay credit card terminal?

I don't think in the foreseeable future eBay will totally abandon the PayPal integration, but they may not make it a preferred method of payment which for sellers could lead to one having to enter in tracking numbers for shipments, filing disputes and offering proof of delivery separately.

Edited by HENRYSPENCER

What's the fee to use this managed payment system? If it's close to what I have to pay PayPal, what's the point? Right now PayPal takes 2.9% plus $0.30 per transaction. As a seller, if I could eliminate that, then yes, but if ebay is going to charge almost the same, then it's just a grab for them to add to the 10% they already charge me per sale. 

1 hour ago, Jaylam said:

What's the fee to use this managed payment system? If it's close to what I have to pay PayPal, what's the point? Right now PayPal takes 2.9% plus $0.30 per transaction. As a seller, if I could eliminate that, then yes, but if ebay is going to charge almost the same, then it's just a grab for them to add to the 10% they already charge me per sale. 

It's a flat 2.7% globally plus they waive the 30 cent transaction fee.  The PayPal 2.9% obviously goes up if the funds are international.

I’d be hard pressed to switch from PayPal. I’m a collector first and foremost. I sell on a small scale. I feel like eBay is already gouging by charging a percentage of postage. It has caused me to move over half of my web sales away from them.

Here are your choices. Charge enough to cover your actual shipping plus eBay fees, get beat up on DSR. Don’t charge enough and lose money. eBay is getting enough already and my guess is if they control that market too, the percentage will rise over time. They’ve proven this with all fees time after time. 

Edited by the authority

On 1/4/2019 at 3:21 AM, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

I’m a part time seller- mostly eBay. I have a working capital loan through PayPal. They take a percentage of my sales to pay back the loan. I hope they don’t get rid of PayPal altogether. I’d have a hard time paying it back. PayPal has been pretty good to me. I’ll stick with them. 

paypal is pretty important nowadays for charitable giving, although I'm not sure how they make money on that

I'm only a buyer and I tolerate Paypal, but I don't like it very much. I didn't like the fact that they wanted you to link to multiple accounts and wanted near everything but a picture of your junk. For a month they decided that all of my purchases were foreign based and tried to take multiple fees. A few months ago they wanted my SS number (and no this wasn't a scam, it was right on their site) which really pissed me off and I let them know it in no uncertain terms.

Now Ebay wants to get involved again and push Paypal out of the way. If this were any other company, I might applaud as Paypal's fees for buying overseas items sucks. Seeing the steady decline of ebay's customer service and their changes that must have been initiated by feces flinging monkeys, I can't wait to see how they F$#@ this up.

And they will.:popcorn: