• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF 15 vs ASM 1
2 2

48 posts in this topic

Because you asked "better investment potential," I guess my answer would be different depending on timeframe. If you're looking for profit on a quick flip, maybe take advantage of the wave ASM 1 is riding; worst that happens is you time it wrong and don't maximize.

Long term, the entry level copy of Spidey's first appearance is the no-brainer IMO. 

I'm biased, ASM 1.

I always preferred, I will hear about this, the cover on ASM 1.

I also feel that you would be better off with a higher grade copy of ASM 1 than an entry level AF 15 (1.0). If things do go South, the entry level AF 15 takes a way bigger hit than the mid-upper mid ASM 1 value wise to what you paid. An assumption I realise, but never the less..  

Personally, as much as I would love to have an AF 15, it would have to be a very presentable 1.0 for me to “love” it. I would have no trouble loving a 5.0 or even a 4.0 ASM 1.

On 1/5/2019 at 4:33 PM, Readcomix said:

Because you asked "better investment potential," I guess my answer would be different depending on timeframe. If you're looking for profit on a quick flip, maybe take advantage of the wave ASM 1 is riding; worst that happens is you time it wrong and don't maximize.

Long term, the entry level copy of Spidey's first appearance is the no-brainer IMO. 

Better investment potential?  Find an older example and see how it did... 25 years ago, what would have been better? 1.0 Action Comics #1 or 5.0 Superman #1?

On 1/5/2019 at 9:41 AM, NoMan said:

AF15 has been sliding, not doubt. It's setting in the sun, it's due date is up as we say in the world of television. Don't get me wrong it's not gonna be in the dollar box. Ever. ASM1 might be the better choice. JMHO so take it for what it's worth. Or get an AF15 on the cheap, just don't know when the cheapest will be - 4 or 5 years from now?? They're literally included in every auction, without fail. 

Been here long enough to know that desirability for a particular comic book, a particular genre/publisher, or a particular comic book age always moves in a cycle.  So, what's hot today might not be necessarily be hot tomorrow.  :preach:

The best way to look at this would probably be from a longer time frame and hence this is how I would settle this discussion here from Valiantman posting above:

Better investment potential?  Find an older example and see how it did... 25 years ago, what would have been better? 1.0 Action Comics #1 or 5.0 Superman #1?

image.gif

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/6/2019 at 4:51 AM, NoMan said:

You gotta define your terms: Better how, better why? Better investment? Better art? better story? better for "feel good nosalgia? Better is so subjective. My Rom #1 could be better than your Gains File copy of Vault of Horror whatever.

Heh. Agreed. I have an AF #15 in 5.0 W. 

I feel better about that than either of the options presented.

On 1/11/2019 at 5:59 PM, showcase22gr1959 said:

It would be Superman 1 5.0 over Action 1 1.0 in terms of value. Due to the scarcity of Superman 1 in higher grade 5.0 unrestored condition, for many has been restored. 

I am not sure the AC#1 vs SM #1 Applies here as both ASM#1 IN 5.0 & AF15 1.5 are plentiful in either grade,  ASM #1 is moving a bit right now but over the long haul & a year from now that may not be the case, it does run in cycles. I would still go with the AF#15. ASM #1 will always be the secondary book IMHO. AF15 has so much going for it Arguably the most iconic Marvel Character, a classic badass cover even your grandmother has seen plus all 3 legends are represented as Kirby, Ditko & Lee all got in on the action, it's his first Appearance,  I mean it has everything you want from a  major key. Let put it this way I never meet an AMAZING FANTASY I DIDN'T LIKE LOL

9 hours ago, Frank Mozz said:

I am not sure the AC#1 vs SM #1 Applies here as both ASM#1 IN 5.0 & AF15 1.5 are plentiful in either grade,  ASM #1 is moving a bit right now but over the long haul & a year from now that may not be the case, it does run in cycles. I would still go with the AF#15. ASM #1 will always be the secondary book IMHO. AF15 has so much going for it Arguably the most iconic Marvel Character, a classic badass cover even your grandmother has seen plus all 3 legends are represented as Kirby, Ditko & Lee all got in on the action, it's his first Appearance,  I mean it has everything you want from a  major key. Let put it this way I never meet an AMAZING FANTASY I DIDN'T LIKE LOL

paul747 asked the question, just gave him my insight on the Superman 1 5.0 versus Action 1 1.0. Read above.:wink:

Edited by showcase22gr1959

On 1/3/2019 at 10:48 PM, kc2112 said:

Hi everybody,

Lets say you had about 10K worth of graded comics to sell and you wanted to re-invest that money into either a Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 1.0 ish (complete) or an Amazing Spider-Man 1.0 at about a CGC 5.0. Or any comparable value grade of the two.

Which one would you go for?

Back in the day I'd say easy AF15, but ASM 1 just seem like it's had more bang for the buck as of late and AF15 has dipped slightly. So my vote is ASM 1.