• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF 15 vs ASM 1
2 2

48 posts in this topic

Amazing fantasy 15 has the truly iconic story with uncle Ben and how he became Spider-Man and why. 1st appearance of Spider-Man. Amazing Spider-Man 1 has the chameleon (meh on the great list of Spidey villains) and a fanatastic four story and Jonah Jameson.

While asm 1 is good and important in many ways, there is just no comparison: af15 all day every day in whatever grade you can get.

Way more fun to have AF15 and ASM1 than 2 copies of the Big Dog.

I would rather own Spidey 1-15* than AF 15, while I’m at it. Run=Fun!

*- or 1-20, or 1-5, or whatever the monetary equivalent would be.

Edited by KirbyJack

It depends on your collecting objective...personally i’m working on a 1-100 run so I would lean towards the ASM 1. If your collecting major keys then AF15 is probably the better choice. It also depends how well the 1.0 presents, it might be hard to drop $10k on a book in that condition. Good question.

Alright, 10k for an AF15 1.0 or ASM 1 5.0.....hmmm.  Well, the old adage is to buy the highest grade you can afford, yes?  But, in this case, I'm not so sure based on the two books provided.  IMO I'd save up a bit more coin and buy something like a 1.8-3.5 AF15, versus ASM 1 in 5.0.  Yeah, AF15 has cooled off a bit, especially in lower grades (4.0 down).  Now might be the time to buy!  Sure, ASM 1 is doing its catchup work these days as well, as it should.  But over the long haul, AF15 is the KING of the Silver Age of Marvel, hands down!  1st appearance, origin, legendary "great responsibility" quote and iconic Jack "The King" Kirby cover!  Not to mention tough book with the dark parts of the cover.  ASM 1 is a great book, but doesn't have much else going for it that AF15 doesn't.  2nd appearance, 1st FF crossover (cool, but strange looking cover), 1st appearance of Chameleon (who?), 1st appearance of JJ Jameson (meh).  I love both books, but will ALWAYS covet AF15 for the simple fact that it is Spidey's FIRST appearance EVER, with origin!  Tech 27 had to wait until Tech 33 for Bat's origin.  Hmmmm....another story.