AF 15 vs ASM 1
2 2

48 posts in this topic

2,511 posts

The op wanted an answerer. Here's mine: buy ASM 1 CGC 5.0.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
69 posts
3 hours ago, NoMan said:

The op wanted an answerer. Here's mine: buy ASM 1 CGC 5.0.

Thanks. I know there is no definitive answer but I wanted to get an idea of the overall consensus and opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,111 posts

Because you asked "better investment potential," I guess my answer would be different depending on timeframe. If you're looking for profit on a quick flip, maybe take advantage of the wave ASM 1 is riding; worst that happens is you time it wrong and don't maximize.

Long term, the entry level copy of Spidey's first appearance is the no-brainer IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,681 posts

I'm biased, ASM 1.

I always preferred, I will hear about this, the cover on ASM 1.

I also feel that you would be better off with a higher grade copy of ASM 1 than an entry level AF 15 (1.0). If things do go South, the entry level AF 15 takes a way bigger hit than the mid-upper mid ASM 1 value wise to what you paid. An assumption I realise, but never the less..  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
266 posts

Personally, as much as I would love to have an AF 15, it would have to be a very presentable 1.0 for me to “love” it. I would have no trouble loving a 5.0 or even a 4.0 ASM 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,154 posts

As someone who collects mid grade books and has no interest in extremely low grade books, I would be on a 5.0 ASM #1 like white on rice.  

If I really wanted an AF #15, I'd save up enough money to buy one in 3.5 with OW or better pages.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,034 posts
On 1/5/2019 at 2:13 AM, Dark Knight said:

Go with the 1st app of Uncle Ben and Aunt May issue

I don't think Strange Tales 97 was one of the options!   B|

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,320 posts
32 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:
On 1/4/2019 at 11:13 PM, Dark Knight said:

Go with the 1st app of Uncle Ben and Aunt May issue

I don't think Strange Tales 97 was one of the options!   B|

lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,536 posts
On 1/5/2019 at 4:33 PM, Readcomix said:

Because you asked "better investment potential," I guess my answer would be different depending on timeframe. If you're looking for profit on a quick flip, maybe take advantage of the wave ASM 1 is riding; worst that happens is you time it wrong and don't maximize.

Long term, the entry level copy of Spidey's first appearance is the no-brainer IMO. 

Better investment potential?  Find an older example and see how it did... 25 years ago, what would have been better? 1.0 Action Comics #1 or 5.0 Superman #1?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,916 posts
Posted (edited)
On 1/5/2019 at 9:41 AM, NoMan said:

AF15 has been sliding, not doubt. It's setting in the sun, it's due date is up as we say in the world of television. Don't get me wrong it's not gonna be in the dollar box. Ever. ASM1 might be the better choice. JMHO so take it for what it's worth. Or get an AF15 on the cheap, just don't know when the cheapest will be - 4 or 5 years from now?? They're literally included in every auction, without fail. 

Been here long enough to know that desirability for a particular comic book, a particular genre/publisher, or a particular comic book age always moves in a cycle.  So, what's hot today might not be necessarily be hot tomorrow.  :preach:

The best way to look at this would probably be from a longer time frame and hence this is how I would settle this discussion here from Valiantman posting above:

Better investment potential?  Find an older example and see how it did... 25 years ago, what would have been better? 1.0 Action Comics #1 or 5.0 Superman #1?

image.gif

Edited by lou_fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
437 posts
On 1/6/2019 at 4:51 AM, NoMan said:

You gotta define your terms: Better how, better why? Better investment? Better art? better story? better for "feel good nosalgia? Better is so subjective. My Rom #1 could be better than your Gains File copy of Vault of Horror whatever.

Heh. Agreed. I have an AF #15 in 5.0 W. 

I feel better about that than either of the options presented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,280 posts
On 1/7/2019 at 4:27 PM, valiantman said:

Better investment potential?  Find an older example and see how it did... 25 years ago, what would have been better? 1.0 Action Comics #1 or 5.0 Superman #1?

whats the answer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,662 posts
19 hours ago, paul747 said:

whats the answer?

It would be Superman 1 5.0 over Action 1 1.0 in terms of value. Due to the scarcity of Superman 1 in higher grade 5.0 unrestored condition, for many has been restored. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
142 posts
On 1/11/2019 at 5:59 PM, showcase22gr1959 said:

It would be Superman 1 5.0 over Action 1 1.0 in terms of value. Due to the scarcity of Superman 1 in higher grade 5.0 unrestored condition, for many has been restored. 

I am not sure the AC#1 vs SM #1 Applies here as both ASM#1 IN 5.0 & AF15 1.5 are plentiful in either grade,  ASM #1 is moving a bit right now but over the long haul & a year from now that may not be the case, it does run in cycles. I would still go with the AF#15. ASM #1 will always be the secondary book IMHO. AF15 has so much going for it Arguably the most iconic Marvel Character, a classic badass cover even your grandmother has seen plus all 3 legends are represented as Kirby, Ditko & Lee all got in on the action, it's his first Appearance,  I mean it has everything you want from a  major key. Let put it this way I never meet an AMAZING FANTASY I DIDN'T LIKE LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,314 posts

No contest. AF 15. Every day and twice on Sundays 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,662 posts
9 hours ago, Frank Mozz said:

I am not sure the AC#1 vs SM #1 Applies here as both ASM#1 IN 5.0 & AF15 1.5 are plentiful in either grade,  ASM #1 is moving a bit right now but over the long haul & a year from now that may not be the case, it does run in cycles. I would still go with the AF#15. ASM #1 will always be the secondary book IMHO. AF15 has so much going for it Arguably the most iconic Marvel Character, a classic badass cover even your grandmother has seen plus all 3 legends are represented as Kirby, Ditko & Lee all got in on the action, it's his first Appearance,  I mean it has everything you want from a  major key. Let put it this way I never meet an AMAZING FANTASY I DIDN'T LIKE LOL

paul747 asked the question, just gave him my insight on the Superman 1 5.0 versus Action 1 1.0. Read above.:wink:

Edited by showcase22gr1959

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 posts
On 1/3/2019 at 10:48 PM, kc2112 said:

Hi everybody,

Lets say you had about 10K worth of graded comics to sell and you wanted to re-invest that money into either a Amazing Fantasy 15 CGC 1.0 ish (complete) or an Amazing Spider-Man 1.0 at about a CGC 5.0. Or any comparable value grade of the two.

Which one would you go for?

Back in the day I'd say easy AF15, but ASM 1 just seem like it's had more bang for the buck as of late and AF15 has dipped slightly. So my vote is ASM 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2