• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers: Endgame vs Star Wars: Episode IX

18 posts in this topic

They are both finales. Endgame brings a close to MCU Phases 1-3. Alleged "Son of Darkness" ends the Skywalker Saga.

Which one will be 'better'? Which one will total more at the box office?

After the huge letdown of The Last Jedi, and the overwhelming success story that is Infinity War, I say that A4 takes the cake by a landslide (AINEC). The fact that Endgame doesn't have to retcon or 'fix' anything gives it a huge handicap. Differing opinions?

Infinity War totaled about $20 million less than The Force Awakens. Inflation adjustment probably makes that a slightly larger gap.

With all of the money talk around here, I figured this would be an interesting topic. Endgame's production cost is about $500 million. I have no idea what Episode 9's costs are.

My money is on AVENGERS. Like the movie or not, TLJ had no hook to build up enthusiasm for the next movie. IG is perhaps the greatest cliffhanger ending in movie history. Everyone is gonna want to see what happens next.

I think the Avengers movies are ground-breaking in that they are attempting to bring Big Event comic-book story-telling to the movie screen. They don't always work, and sometimes they rely too heavily on character archetypes, and charismatic performances, at the expense of plot. But when they do work, as IW mostly did, they are in a league by themselves.

Star Wars 8 was much more plot-focused, and tried to surprise the audience with its twists and turns. Unfortunately, these narrative choices sometimes came at the expense of well-defined characters and motivations. In this case, it was especially problematic because the creators were undermining a lot of what JJ Abrams and his team set up in Episode VII.

I expect Abrams will correct course in SW9, but I also don't expect it to be much more than just another Star Wars romp. Abrams historically has been better at setting up mysteries than resolving them in a satisfying way.

Edited by adampasz

I wonder if JJ offered Harrison Ford the chance to come back as a force ghost and smirk at the fans would he do it for free or would he take a paycheck, and if so how big of a paycheck?

7 hours ago, adampasz said:

I expect Abrams will correct course in SW9, but I also don't expect it to be much more than just another Star Wars romp. Abrams historically has been better at setting up mysteries than resolving them in a satisfying way.

My worry is that JJ will get too derivative again.  As much as I love The Force Awakens, they could have easily called it "A Renewed Hope" instead.  Will Episode 9 end up being "The Jedi Have Returned"?  With a blatantly ripped off scene, only in reverse, a la Into Darkness (wow, do I hate that movie)?

And while we're playing the re-name game -- Episode VIII: I Told You we Shoulda Put More than 5 Bucks Worth In!

21 hours ago, Catwomancomics said:

Avengers wins hands down.

As a life long Star Wars fan who has seen them all in theaters as they were released, I can careless about Star Wars since TLJ. I won’t be seeing episode 9 in a theater.

Avengers.  No one is going to watch Starwars after they killed off Luke... wtf... what a freaking waste.  NO ONE cares about Kylo Ren  or Rey.

13 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Avengers.  No one is going to watch Starwars after they killed off Luke... wtf... what a freaking waste.  NO ONE cares about Kylo Ren  or Rey.

I totally agree. Older fans won’t really care. The younger generations will see it because they’re not as invested in Luke as we were. We waited 30 years to see Luke become a blue milk drinking wuss who is to scared to leave the island.

Edited by Catwomancomics

2 minutes ago, Catwomancomics said:

I totally agree. Older fans won’t really care. The younger generations will see it because they weren’t as invested in Luke as we were. We waited 30 years to see Luke become a blue milk drinking wuss who is to scared to leave the island.

There was an interview where JJ abrams said he purposely left Luke out of the first movie so people could grow to like Rey and Finn.  He was afraid the audience would only pay attention to Luke.   What he doesn't realize is the fans don't care about his creations.... we ONLY care about Luke, Leia and Han.  And he just kills them off...

23 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

There was an interview where JJ abrams said he purposely left Luke out of the first movie so people could grow to like Rey and Finn.  He was afraid the audience would only pay attention to Luke.   What he doesn't realize is the fans don't care about his creations.... we ONLY care about Luke, Leia and Han.  And he just kills them off...

:gossip: Lando’s next

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

I would have been happy if they skipped Luke, Han and Leia entirely and moved the time line out even further.  The story line now is just a rehash of the old story lines.  No creativity with the reboot is my big issue.  Plus the acting was atrocious for even the older characters (Han, Leia and Luke).  The nail was in the coffin a long time ago for me with Star Wars.  I don't want to think about it how many Star Wars films revolved around the Darth Star/Planet either.  Someone else can do the math on that for me,..... :frustrated:

Edited by Xenosmilus

13 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

That seems awfully shortsighted, and I would guess that opinion is in the minority of fans.  It's akin to a Star Trek fan saying "we only care about Kirk, Spock, and McCoy."