• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torpedo Comics Spreads it's Wings?
1 1

35 posts in this topic

Was down in my local Antique Mall area in Orange CA today and stopped into Big Red's Comics. I was surprised to see the sign had changed to Torpedo Comics. The owner wasn't there and the employee was a little tight lipped. There was a massive row of comic bins installed and things were changed. I asked, like I usually do, if they had any "older comics" and was told that they would soon.

Looks like Torpedo is branching out from it's Las Vegas store. Never been there. Do they have a decent selection of vintage comics? Might be nice to have a local store that stocks vintage books.

Torpedo has a large selection of back issues.  Their prices are a little high.  If you go, you need to check out the Vault.  Pretty impressive collection of some high dollar stuff.

Torpedo also bought out one of my regular stores.  Looks like they are going to get bigger.

18 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

So Torpedo is moving to california stores?  Any new stores in Las Vegas? 

They are not moving, just looks like they are opening a California location.  There is a new store, on the NW side of town, but, they just opened about a month or so ago so they don't have a huge selection yet. 

I was by the new store in orange . I think it’s a bad spot big red comics never seemed busy.  I though torpedo was going to open somewhere in la . That is what some were saying last time in Vegas 

Edited by fatlab123

I never did really like Big Red anyway. They just never seemed to care or help customers. I once talked to the owner about vintage books. He told me he had a few boxes in the back but said he was too busy to bring them out. Guess he thought I wasn't serious? I finally opened up my wallet and flashed a bunch of Franklins then walked out. The employees were always looking at their phones. Torpedo might be a good change. 

I hope they are...the Vegas shop is full high grade books of all years.  The orange circle is getting new restaurants but the antique business is almost dead so hope that brings more people to the area. The college kids close by don’t support anything but the bars.

12 hours ago, fatlab123 said:

I hope they are...the Vegas shop is full high grade books of all years.  The orange circle is getting new restaurants but the antique business is almost dead so hope that brings more people to the area. The college kids close by don’t support anything but the bars.

Do you live around by the Orange Circle? 

I live about five minutes away. 

Torpedo Comics in Vegas has a nice selection of back issues, but they are all very, very aggressively priced. They have raw books priced at CGC 9.8 prices.

Their books, they can do what they want with them...but if you're going to ask 9.8 prices, you should have them in 9.8 slabs.

The selection is stellar...full runs of 80s and 90s books...but they are all very, very aggressively priced, and negotiating is a hassle. There's a british/australian man who works there who has negotiating ability, and makes things uncomfortable for prospective buyers...subtly insinuating that the buyer is trying to take advantage of them. I would recommend NOT dealing with him, if at all possible.

Otherwise, store personnel were polite, the store is well designed, and the selection is amazing, relative to what exists now... but you WILL pay for it.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

On 1/4/2019 at 4:32 PM, Robot Man said:

Was down in my local Antique Mall area in Orange CA today and stopped into Big Red's Comics. I was surprised to see the sign had changed to Torpedo Comics. The owner wasn't there and the employee was a little tight lipped. There was a massive row of comic bins installed and things were changed. I asked, like I usually do, if they had any "older comics" and was told that they would soon.

Looks like Torpedo is branching out from it's Las Vegas store. Never been there. Do they have a decent selection of vintage comics? Might be nice to have a local store that stocks vintage books.

I frequent Old Town Orange from time to time.  Here's another reason to go!

On 1/5/2019 at 8:26 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Torpedo Comics in Vegas has a nice selection of back issues, but they are all very, very aggressively priced. They have raw books priced at CGC 9.8 prices.

Their books, they can do what they want with them...but if you're going to ask 9.8 prices, you should have them in 9.8 slabs.

The selection is stellar...full runs of 80s and 90s books...but they are all very, very aggressively priced, and negotiating is a hassle. There's a british/australian man who works there who has negotiating ability, and makes things uncomfortable for prospective buyers...subtly insinuating that the buyer is trying to take advantage of them. I would recommend NOT dealing with him, if at all possible.

Otherwise, store personnel were polite, the store is well designed, and the selection is amazing, relative to what exists now... but you WILL pay for it.

I've never bought anything from Torpedo (nor have I met any of them) but a good friend of mine had planned on purchasing a grail from Torpedo at a con last year.  This same guy was so rude they decided to hold off and buy from another dealer.  Lost out on a $50k+ deal and any future business with someone who spends 6 figures a year on their collection.  It certainly pays to be a professional in this business and can be very damaging when you're not.  On the flipside, its good to see the hobby is doing well enough for them to open another store.    

Edited by comicquant

On 1/5/2019 at 5:26 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

All this. I've browsed their CGC selection on occasion and for some 9.8 graded issues I was interested in, the going rate was close to double the current going ebay rates or more. 

20 hours ago, comicquant said:

I've never bought anything from Torpedo (nor have I met any of them) but a good friend of mine had planned on purchasing a grail from Torpedo at a con last year.  This same guy was so rude they decided to hold off and buy from another dealer.  Lost out on a $50k+ deal and any future business with someone who spends 6 figures a year on their collection.  It certainly pays to be a professional in this business and can be very damaging when you're not.  On the flipside, its good to see the hobby is doing well enough for them to open another store.    

My experience is similar.

However, the Torpedo shop in Las Vegas is gorgeous, and their convention booth is also a thing of beauty. Unfortunately that also means charging double with a straight face.

But, John knows how to do a convention. The Torpedo Con the week before SDCC was off the hook. He managed to convince most of the big dealers to set up for a one day show that was epic. It felt like an early SDCC. Plus he partnered up with someone else and had a great original art show right across the hall all for the same cheap admission price.