• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Slab or not to Slab?
3 3

777 posts in this topic

I know you guys are all saying I am uneducated but I think anybody on this thread received this utter 5.0 or less grade would have a gripe as well based on how the seller presented this. I am the poor sap that won the auction. There was around 36 bids on this alone so someone else would of been screwed over. I won this bid by 1 dollar at the last second.  This  seller on ebay doesn't know who he messed with and yes I got ebay involved Ill let you know what happens in 3 days. This seller  shouldn't be selling comics on ebay if this how he describes and posts things so I am doing everyone a favor.

Edited by BITCOINSWAMI

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:
1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Cgc 7.5...

Only with a heck-of-a press

As it sits?

+1

Hate to say it, but both books are in pretty rough condition considering they are Modern books and so recent.  The scrunching of the book on the corners of the ASM 361 is a definite killer, while the huge number of big and obvious color breaking creases on the back cover of the Cable book is a real eyesore.

If you are thinking of a relatively higher copy of a recent book, I believe this one would have a much better shot since it is being graded as a raw VF/NM copy:

spe13.1371a.jpg

Definitely a lot nicer looking than both the ASM 361 or the Cable 1 from a pure visual appearance point of view.  (thumbsu

As to whether it would actually grade out to a CGC 9.0 or not, who really knows without having the actual book in hand.  (shrug)

2 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I'd probably email and ask for a partial refund.  The actual book looks worst than the photos.  Otherwise, I'd probably keep it as a reader copy.  People are so fixated on collecting and preserving that they overlook the reading part.  Sometimes it's nice to have a mid grade copy of a book where you're not worried about ruining it.

Yes reader copy ... go grab a nice graded copy.. there’s tons of these 

2 hours ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

I know you guys are all saying I am uneducated but I think anybody on this thread received this utter 5.0 or less grade would have a gripe as well based on how the seller presented this. I am the poor sap that won the auction. There was around 36 bids on this alone so someone else would of been screwed over. I won this bid by 1 dollar at the last second.  This  seller on ebay doesn't know who he messed with and yes I got ebay involved Ill let you know what happens in 3 days. This seller  shouldn't be selling comics on ebay if this how he describes and posts things so I am doing everyone a favor.

I agree you should return the book, but don’t make this out to be some kind of crusade.  You also had enough available information to judge that this wasn’t in “MINT!” condition as advertised.  Take it as a lesson in how to better shop on fleatrapBay in the future.

15 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

I agree you should return the book, but don’t make this out to be some kind of crusade.  You also had enough available information to judge that this wasn’t in “MINT!” condition as advertised.  Take it as a lesson in how to better shop on fleatrapBay in the future.

the seller agreed and after contacting ebay he had no choice but to refund the money back. It wasn't a properly listed item. If he had only said "bid with caution or I am not a grader or this just my best guess at the condition of book"  I would of not wont the case

1755952972_page1.PNG.49db43479a7f40e4090aea6500716233.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Capture5.PNG

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Hate to say it, but both books are in pretty rough condition considering they are Modern books and so recent.  The scrunching of the book on the corners of the ASM 361 is a definite killer, while the huge number of big and obvious color breaking creases on the back cover of the Cable book is a real eyesore.

If you are thinking of a relatively higher copy of a recent book, I believe this one would have a much better shot since it is being graded as a raw VF/NM copy:

spe13.1371a.jpg

Definitely a lot nicer looking than both the ASM 361 or the Cable 1 from a pure visual appearance point of view.  (thumbsu

As to whether it would actually grade out to a CGC 9.0 or not, who really knows without having the actual book in hand.  (shrug)

I wasn't saying that cage #1 was a mint copy or even close to that. I was only showing how I would post angles on ebay if I was the seller. I was also showing how I did not even take care of this comic and just to me from the pictures looks better than the Spider-Man issue 361 that I got in the mail. Even if mine as color breaks it doesn't have all bent up corners is all I was trying to get at. 

I know the Cage #1 comic is just a reader and probably a GGC 3.5 or 4 at best. 

Edited by BITCOINSWAMI

1 hour ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

I know the Cage #1 comic is just a reader and probably a GGC 3.5 or 4 at best. 

Well, although the Cage 1 is clearly not a 9.0 copy, it also appears to be better than a CGC 3.5 or 4.0 copy.  (thumbsu

But then again, I haven't really submitted much of anything into CGC at all, so what do I really know when it comes to grading.  :juggle:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

Well that was a nice 3 days :banana:

How should I package this back to the seller and what comic should I buy next? LOL

Package it responsibly.  Buy something you've actually looked into thoroughly, not another "MINT!" book that other people are bidding on.

1 hour ago, MadripoorNights said:
2 hours ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

what comic should I buy next?

5FBD935A-7FA6-49B5-99DB-4E5AD172B1F9.jpeg

Well, based upon this picture here, the choice would appear to be pretty obvious.  :gossip:

Just go with the one in the top left hand corner here:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/suspense-comics-3-pennsylvania-pedigree-continental-magazines-1944-cbcs-vf-nm-90-white-pages/a/7147-91014.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Then again, I guess only if your pockets run really really deep.  lol

2 minutes ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

All in all I got very fortunate this seller was a honest seller and actually refunded me. This could of ended very badly. I feel the comic i received was only worth max 33 or 40 bucks in its condition.

doh!

I really don't think you're picking up what we're putting down.  You seriously need to study CGC's submission fees, their process, the grading scale, the value of the books you're interested in, etc.  EVERYTHING.  You were ripped off on ASM 362 and again on ASM 361 in a span of 24 hours.  But after all of that, you're still not getting it.  Now you think this book was worth $33 to $40.  Here's a CGC 7.0 for $83 shipped.  If you back out all the fees that would be required for you to submit yourself, you can determine an estimated value for a raw book in that grade.  That's $15 for you to ship to Florida, $20 in grading fees, $30 in return shipping, and $5 in form fees.  That's $70 in and unto itself.  That means for a raw book in FN/VF condition, you shouldn't pay more than $13.  And that's just an estimate.  I should really be going off of completed sales to determine the end value.  Not list price.

Honestly, slow down and do a lot of research on these boards before you even think about buying your next book.

5 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

doh!

I really don't think you're picking up what we're putting down.  You seriously need to study CGC's submission fees, their process, the grading scale, the value of the books you're interested in, etc.  EVERYTHING.  You were ripped off on ASM 362 and again on ASM 361 in a span of 24 hours.  But after all of that, you're still not getting it.  Now you think this book was worth $33 to $40.  Here's a CGC 7.0 for $83 shipped.  If you back out all the fees that would be required for you to submit yourself, you can determine an estimated value for a raw book in that grade.  That's $15 for you to ship to Florida, $20 in grading fees, $30 in return shipping, and $5 in form fees.  That's $70 in and unto itself.  That means for a raw book in FN/VF condition, you shouldn't pay more than $13.  And that's just an estimate.  I should really be going off of completed sales to determine the end value.  Not list price.

Honestly, slow down and do a lot of research on these boards before you even think about buying your next book.

I got it I am only going to buy CGC slabbed items only from ebay now onwards. The extra fees and it getting there in one piece and on top of that how subjective cgc might grade the actual book can change everything. I am just going to buy only CGC from ebay. I am looking for a 9.8 CGC this comic is all. 

I got it!

3 minutes ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

I got it I am only going to buy CGC slabbed items only from ebay now onwards. The extra fees and it getting there in one piece and on top of that how subjective cgc might grade the actual book can change everything. I am just going to buy only CGC from ebay. I am looking for a 9.8 CGC this comic is all. 

eBay can be a reasonable avenue to buy CGC graded books (I've certainly bought a few).  But you just need to make sure that the price you pay is a reasonable amount based on past sales.  There are other places to buy graded books that are more trustworthy than eBay.  These include Heritage Auction and Comiclink.  Or you can find online stores that sell graded books.

2 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

eBay can be a reasonable avenue to buy CGC graded books (I've certainly bought a few).  But you just need to make sure that the price you pay is a reasonable amount based on past sales.  There are other places to buy graded books that are more trustworthy than eBay.  These include Heritage Auction and Comiclink.  Or you can find online stores that sell graded books.

when is comes to already graded books I already know where the find the FMV value and reasonable price for slabs.