• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Slab or not to Slab?
3 3

777 posts in this topic

On 1/7/2019 at 11:46 PM, BITCOINSWAMI said:

I got it I am only going to buy CGC slabbed items only from ebay now onwards. The extra fees and it getting there in one piece and on top of that how subjective cgc might grade the actual book can change everything. I am just going to buy only CGC from ebay. I am looking for a 9.8 CGC this comic is all. 

I got it!

On 1/8/2019 at 2:17 AM, BITCOINSWAMI said:

when is comes to already graded books I already know where the find the FMV value and reasonable price for slabs.

Great, so if you know where to find the FMV of a slab, you can roughly determine a FMV for a raw book.

22 minutes ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spawn-1-Uncertified-9-4-NM-1st-Appearance-of-Spawn-WHITE-PAGES-AUTOGRAPHED/183617623130

I know this is not the newsstand edition but it has Todd Mcfarlane sig on it (unverfied sig). Is this still worth the price?

"Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

40 minutes ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spawn-1-Uncertified-9-4-NM-1st-Appearance-of-Spawn-WHITE-PAGES-AUTOGRAPHED/183617623130

I know this is not the newsstand edition but it has Todd Mcfarlane sig on it (unverfied sig). Is this still worth the price?

it's an auction... are you asking if it's worth the $5.50 bid? 

13 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Great, so if you know where to find the FMV of a slab, you can roughly determine a FMV for a raw book.

"Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.  Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

can you elaborate on this ?  Lets says GGC 9.8 FMV on Spider-Man #361 is 400 Dollars and now.......... Please show me how you go about figuring out the raw value if the raw book was 9.8 as well or close to that. 

I will eventually stop asking dumb questions. :eyeroll:

1 minute ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

can you elaborate on this ?  Lets says GGC 9.8 FMV on Spider-Man #361 is 400 Dollars and now.......... Please show me how you go about figuring out the raw value if the raw book was 9.8 as well or close to that. 

FMV of CGCed book minus the cost of slabbing (and shipping) equals (in theory) the FMV of a raw book of that condition. 

Now what you also have to factor in is the risk. 

If the FMV of a CGC 9.8 is $500, and the cost of slabbing is $50 (just using round numbers here), then you know you can spend up to $450 and "break even" on slabbing a raw 9.8 into a CGC slab. 

BUT

there is the risk that the raw 9.8 gets graded a 9.6, so most people factor that risk in to valuations of raw books. 

So if the value of a CGC 9.6 is also pretty high say $350, then you might dampen your valuation a bit (depending on how you feel about the book) and you say you're willing to spend $350 on the book, thinking that you are pretty confident in its 9.8ness, but if it came back 9.6 you would be only in the hole for $50. 

but if the 9.6 is worth say $150. Thats a big risk especially if the seller is sure of its 9.8ness (even if it's not). You are risking hundreds in hopes that the book comes back a 9.8, cause if it doesnt you have a book worth a LOT less than you put into it (like say you got it for the above $300, and then slabbed it and have $350 in the book and it comes back a 9.6, boom you've just lost $200. 

thats why it's important to know how to grade, and to also know the market for books especially the gap between grades that are possible results. 

1 minute ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

Ok.

Let's use the Spawn #1 with the signature.

Questions:

1. what grade is the book? Have you established that part? Or are you relying on the seller description again?

2. What are Ebay completed auction values of Spawn #1 so you have an idea yourself what the value of a Spawn #1 is sold in the same grade range?

3. Is the signature legitimate or is there enough wrong that it's validity is in question?

4. does the signature actually add any value to the book?

5. what other possible internet sites could you find valuation data yourself?

10 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Ok.

Let's use the Spawn #1 with the signature.

Questions:

1. what grade is the book? Have you established that part? Or are you relying on the seller description again?

2. What are Ebay completed auction values of Spawn #1 so you have an idea yourself what the value of a Spawn #1 is sold in the same grade range?

3. Is the signature legitimate or is there enough wrong that it's validity is in question?

4. does the signature actually add any value to the book?

5. what other possible internet sites could you find valuation data yourself?

I will help you answer these questions.

1. The book in the auction has several spine ticks. This suggests the book is not in NM condition. It might be, but since the spine ticks are not mentioned by the seller I take it that the seller is not fully disclosing the correct grade of the book.

2. Here is a completed auction for a Spawn #1 that has a couple of spine ticks so I feel it is in similar condition. This copy sold for $10.95 plus shipping

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spawn-1-Image-Comics-May-1992-Seth-McFarlane-FIRST-PRINTING-/132904157333?hash=item1ef1b48095%3Ag%3AcpwAAOSwHrlcKWDd&nma=true&si=Vd1CenOFh0hDHkSdplC5og9STPw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

3. Signature verification is not easy. Visually look at CGC certified copies versus raw books. I can't be certain if the signature is real. It is a lot larger than Todd usually does. Honestly if I wanted to own a Spawn #1 with signature I would just purchase a CGC signature series. Additionally it is important to mention that CGC will not authenticate the signed book if you submit it for grading. CGC will give it a green qualified label because they can't be certain it is actually signed by Todd McFarlane.

4. Here is a raw Spawn #1 with a signature that sold on Ebay. It sold for $52, so Todd's signature does add some value.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spawn-1-1992-VF-NM-Image-Comics-Signed-Todd-McFarlane-/312345293539?hash=item48b93af2e3%3Ag%3AvRMAAOSw11BcAI2g&nma=true&si=Vd1CenOFh0hDHkSdplC5og9STPw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

5. In addition to EBay's completed sale data, there are many other sites that have comic values. One I recommend if you are going to get involved in CGC books is GPA Analysis which is a paid subscription site that tracks the sales data of CGC books

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

CGC will give it a green qualified label because they can't be certain do not verify preexisting signatures. It wouldn't matter if everyone at CGC HQ was 100% certain that it is actually signed by Todd McFarlane.

Fixed.

2 hours ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

There are no “dumb questions”.  Maybe some mildly annoying ones.  :baiting:

As others have said, a general rule for raw can be “graded price less slabbing cost = price “.  But, you have to factor in your risk as well.  I think I’m a pretty decent grader of books in the high grade range, but I’d never list a raw book at NM/M (the equivalent of 9.8).  I’d call it “NM or better”, and price it accordingly.  There is a value to having the book already slabbed.  And it’s more than just the slabbing cost; the risk is no longer a factor.  

Using ASM361 as an example (going by 90 day averages) a CGC 9.8 is appx 400.  A 9.6 is 165.  A huge price spread, but not really much difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 as far as grading goes (maybe one additional non-color breaking crease).  Unless the seller guarantees a 9.8, you can’t buy it for more than $115 just to break even if it comes back 9.6. 

4 hours ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

Is the signature even important to you?  Or the book?  Or are you just seeing if you can flip this for a few more bucks than you paid?

I won an auction and wanted to know if this was a good value buy or slightly pricey? I know a book is always worth what your willing to pay for it. I won this at 202.50 +7 dollars shipping.

I don't care if its 9.8 or Mint I feel this condition of the book and other 2 books are better condition than the first seller. I might hold on to these safely and hoping the carnage movie is a hit and the value skyrockets if not it's just a nice Story Arc I always wanted.

Anyway just wanted to know if you guys would pay this much for the condition the books are in from the photos and the 3 books being sold. I bought it and no matter what I am going to keep it no returns.

PRETTY MUCH I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF I OVERPAID OR JUST RIGHT OR GOT A DECENT DEAL.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-man-361-362-363-all-NM-1st-appearance-of-Carnage/192779673354

Edited by BITCOINSWAMI

On 1/9/2019 at 11:04 PM, BITCOINSWAMI said:

I Didn't Return ebay omnibus purchases I have purchased so far, so please I don't want to deal with you.

Yes, I imagine it must take quite a bit longer to read through a whole omnibus as compared to a single comic book.

Didn't take you that long to go through the ASM 361 to find out that Aunt May was apparently a fan of the Donald.  :facepalm:

Glad to see the seller is top notch and giving you a full refund for returning the book, but just can't figure if you should be paying a rental fee for reading through the entire book first before returning it?  hm  (tsk)  lol

Edited by lou_fine

7 hours ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

I won an auction and wanted to know if this was a good value buy or slightly pricey? I know a book is always worth what your willing to pay for it. I won this at 202.50 +7 dollars shipping.

I don't care if its 9.8 or Mint I feel this condition of the book and other 2 books are better condition than the first seller. I might hold on to these safely and hoping the carnage movie is a hit and the value skyrockets if not it's just a nice Story Arc I always wanted.

Anyway just wanted to know if you guys would pay this much for the condition the books are in from the photos and the 3 books being sold. I bought it and no matter what I am going to keep it no returns.

PRETTY MUCH I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF I OVERPAID OR JUST RIGHT OR GOT A DECENT DEAL.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-man-361-362-363-all-NM-1st-appearance-of-Carnage/192779673354

Why do I get the feeling we’re about to see a massive uptick in “PGM book x from eBay and tell me if I got a good deal” posts...

8 hours ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

Without looking up a bunch of data:

The 361 newsstand is about 80% of the value in this lot. Recent sales of 9.8 newsstands are well into the $400’s.

If it’s a 9.8, you did fantastic 

If it’s a 9.6, you broke even (if 362/363 are 9.8 you did well in this case)

If it’s a 9.4 or less you lost. 

It looks great in the pics and could very well be a 9.8 if a press takes out the mild spine roll visible from the back cover.

It’s a gamble with these auctions and some guys/gals like that.

i subscribe to gocollect for recent sales covering more than just eBay and includes CBCS. It’s cheap and chock full of useful data and lets you check CGC census with one click.

9 hours ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

93CC1004-1A97-4AE6-9678-CB48289B839E.gif