• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Slab or not to Slab?
3 3

777 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

I don't see why this method can't be used to determine the top end of the price point for a raw book.  It's basically saying "if a slabbed book costs $XX, then I'm not paying anymore than $XX for a raw book because I might as well buy slabbed for the same price."  You then look at other factors such as grade/condition and whatever else might demand a premium and factor that into your max raw price to determine what range you're willing to spend.  But at the very least you've established a ceiling on the book.  Do I want to pay the ceiling price?  Absolutely not, so i'll look for something lower and within the range I've determined.

I can respect that. If that method works for you, so be it. However, it does not work for me. BTW, I'm not a dealer, not even a flipper, just a collector.

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

If this is your intention, to hold for value in the long run, I would buy slabbed books. Another comment, I think it is irresponsible to put a value on a raw book by taking an estimated slabbed price and subtracting out the CGC costs. This method is prone to overpaying, too many variables.  Buy high grade raw books at 9.2 Overstreet guide, maybe doubling it if you think it's a slam dunk minimum 9.4 . The most I would have paid for the 361 is 150.00 . With the addition of the other two books, it was not a terrible deal, but not a 'good' deal either. I think you paid full retail FMV. 

WELL SAID SIR. Well I have the whole arc now 360-364 some collector is going to want to this even if its not in mint condition when that carnage movie comes out. I might of paid a little overprice for this but thats the risk I took and have to stick with it.

2 hours ago, Joosh said:

Priced right at FMV. Fair deal.

Thanks man appreciate it~ That is all I wanted to know

I don't get why people on here just can't simply answer like you do and move on and not turn this into some rant or nonsense. Its a Thread and Board where people are free to post things and ask questions. I also don't think there is any wrong type of questions if you don't feel like answering it or think its a dumb question there are millions of other posts on here to go enjoy.

OK to preserve the integrity of these comics whats everyone's opinion for storage ? I will most like buy mylar bags and full back boards both from E-Gerber because I heard they have the best results with the acid free test. 

My concern is how to store them I have heard various people have different opinions on storage.

1)Some people  use the long or short cardboard storage boxes and say that they are fine, then others say its not because if all the comics are facing the same direction one side will be more larger than the other if you have several comics in it and can mess up the spine over time (I don't get how that would happen if comics are not lied flat and there placed straight up and its its not all crammed in) I also read that to flip flop the comics when your putting it in the box  so its evenly distributed.

2) Never just stack comics on top of each other in a box because of the spine having to much stress to one side 

3) Are the BCW plastic storage boxes good?

4) Never put them in Binders will mess up the spine

Basically my question is for valuable comics what is the method you guys store the books after its bagged and boarded. (I will be putting them in my closet, which I heard is a good place to put comics temperature wise)

1 hour ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

OK to preserve the integrity of these comics whats everyone's opinion for storage ? I will most like buy mylar bags and full back boards both from E-Gerber because I heard they have the best results with the acid free test. 

My concern is how to store them I have heard various people have different opinions on storage.

1)Some people  use the long or short cardboard storage boxes and say that they are fine, then others say its not because if all the comics are facing the same direction one side will be more larger than the other if you have several comics in it and can mess up the spine over time (I don't get how that would happen if comics are not lied flat and there placed straight up and its its not all crammed in) I also read that to flip flop the comics when your putting it in the box  so its evenly distributed.

2) Never just stack comics on top of each other in a box because of the spine having to much stress to one side 

Basically my question is for valuable comics what is the method you guys store the books after its bagged and boarded. (I will be putting them in my closet, which I heard is a good place to put comics temperature wise)

Mylar is good. Just make sure to buy an oversized bag and Board. Books in tight bags and boards are prone to mishaps. I don't like the closet as a storage location. It's best to have a static temperature and humidity level. Closets tend to get hot in the summer. 

1 hour ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

The advice you read/posted above is all relevant.  The only thing you have to decide relates to item #1.  Do you want your books facing one direction, or do you subscribe to the alternating method?

But yeah, bag/board, in a box, books positioned such that gravity/pressure/external forces are applied evenly across the whole comic.  Make sure the room temperature remains largely consistent, isn't too hot or too cold, and that there's no humidity.

3 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Mylar is good. Just make sure to buy an oversized bag and Board. Books in tight bags and boards are prone to mishaps. I don't like the closet as a storage location. It's best to have a static temperature and humidity level. Closets tend to get hot in the summer. 

addendum: away from direct sunlight  (very important)

10 minutes ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

OK and whats your most valuable comic you have? 

It's hard to say. Without actual sales data, I'm not sure whether my Ultra Mint 10 Action Comics 1 or Ultra Mint 10 Detective Comics 27 is worth more. (shrug)

The real answer, of course, is that the value of a person's collection means nothing on a message board and I literally know infinitely more than you about comics.

4 hours ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

My criteria for a good deal is something that has value in the long run and be able to make a profit out of it even if its not slabbed down the road.  The value of comic goes up even if condition of comic degrades over time.

Well, if this is your criteria for a good deal, then I believe you are not buying the right type of books.  :gossip:

Especially with these recent common hot books which are readily available in uber high grade condition and doesn't really command that much real value in anything lower than high grade.  I simply don't see a Spidey 361 ever becoming something like a Hulk 181 whereby mid or lower grade copies were accelerating at a faster percentage clip relative to uber HG copies for awhile back there a couple of years ago. hm

2 hours ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

I would store them right beside your sump Pump in the basement or where there’s lots of silverfish and critters  about ... 👍

51 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

It's hard to say. Without actual sales data, I'm not sure whether my Ultra Mint 10 Action Comics 1 or Ultra Mint 10 Detective Comics 27 is worth more. (shrug)

The real answer, of course, is that the value of a person's collection means nothing on a message board and I literally know infinitely more than you about comics.

I love Ultra Mint ....:cloud9:

2 hours ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

WELL SAID SIR. Well I have the whole arc now 360-364 some collector is going to want to this even if its not in mint condition when that carnage movie comes out. I might of paid a little overprice for this but thats the risk I took and have to stick with it.

Actually most will just want the 361 and done ... 

2 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

The advice you read/posted above is all relevant.  The only thing you have to decide relates to item #1.  Do you want your books facing one direction, or do you subscribe to the alternating method?

But yeah, bag/board, in a box, books positioned such that gravity/pressure/external forces are applied evenly across the whole comic.  Make sure the room temperature remains largely consistent, isn't too hot or too cold, and that there's no humidity.

If I remember correctly, I have all 3 of them (i.e. ASM 361-363) stored in the same one used mylar facing the opposite direction with an old backing board separating the 361 from the other two.  Didn't figure any of the books were valuable enough to get their own separate mylar / backing board and sounds as though they still aren't from what I am reading here.  (shrug)

Any idea when this set started to gain some value?  Just wondering since I picked up this set a few years at a local con as a throw in since I had just spent a few hundred dollars picking up some nice HG early first print TMNT books.  Too bad the TMNT #1 was not a first print :frown:, although it was still a fantastic deal since it basically worked out to about half of guide for the Turtle books.  I think the Spidey set came out to something like less than $20 just in order to round up the total to some even dollar amount.  (thumbsu