• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Slab or not to Slab?
3 3

777 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

If I remember correctly, I have all 3 of them (i.e. ASM 361-363) stored in the same one used mylar facing the opposite direction with an old backing board separating the 361 from the other two.  Didn't figure any of the books were valuable enough to get their own separate mylar / backing board and sounds as though they still aren't from what I am reading here.  (shrug)

I wasn’t going to say anymore, then I read this as you put three books in one Mylar. This is bad idea.

I bag and board all my books cheaply, even the drek. A basic comic bag and acid free backing board is about $0.12 per book when bought in 100pc packs. This is way better than packing books together in the best single Mylar. For flimsy and/or better-than-drek books I’ll double/triple board them. I also use silver age sz bags and boards on my bronze to current books. These basic bags will eventually ripple and yellow, but it’ll take about a decade in my experience and even then I’ve yet to see damage to the book appear.

The dictionary press idea won’t do anything in 24 hours, maybe a couple years... just don’t. There’s CGC’s pressing and other reputable and affordable options for professional pressing. 

I think these 1st Carnage books will continue to modestly climb in value over the coming years and are worthy of proper storage. I like Carnage and personally own all these books you’ve mentioned, some in 9.8 slabs. You’ve at least got good taste.

ASM 364 is unrelated to 1st Carnage arc. 

ASM 360 and 344 will make more sense as part of a 1st Carnage set. Look them up to see why.

You have the internet and amazing search engines at your disposal. Just start searching books and characters you like and learn all about them and what experienced collectors are saying.

I am not jumping on the hype train or anything I just know when to invest in certain comics and when they are on the rice. Comic book selling and trading is like stocks you try to buy them at a low price then sell them high. Keep some cheap CGC 3.5-7.5 of the same version as reader copies. I successfully had the Amazing Spider-man Omnibus vol 1 and bought it for 69.99 and sold it for 175. I also had the first Issue of Spawn Omnibus which I hugely regret selling off early I bought that Omnibus for 109.99 and solid it for 325 more than a year ago. The Spawn Origins Vol 1 now is even more higher price if you want to find one. (huge mistake selling this)

I am not jumping on the hype train or anything I just know when to invest in certain comics and when they are on the rise.

If that Woody Harelson Carnage in Venom 2 is a blockbuster hit I see the FMV on 9.8 going to at least 650 or 750 easy. Problem with this edition is there is way to many copies so that is why it wont reach huge numbers in the FMV for a long time.

SPIDER-MAN # 361

9.6 3,983 3,403
9.8 2,984 2,584

These are the total CGC 9.6 and 9.8 copies of Spider-man 361 on the market. To still cost around 400 or 350 with this much supply actually is interesting. This is not even counting the signature series and who knows many ungraded copies there are and its still selling for 78 to 90 bucks on ebay CGC 9.2.-9.6 range.

Usually with this much supply its interesting this value of this comic is this good.

Wolverine #1 FMV 9.8 its around $250 CGC slabbed and it has the same amount of copies and even though its not Wolverine first apperance its still his first solo series and wolverine has been huge star in practially every x-men movie and Hollywood has -rided wolverine for the past 10 years +

EXPLAIN THOSE NUMBERS! YOU WOULD THINK WOLVERINE BOOK WITH HOW MUCH THEY ARE USING HIM IN EVERY MOVIE FOR THAT PERIOD OF TIME THE VALUE OF THE COMIC WOULD SKY ROCKET BUT IT NEVER DID TO EXTREME NUMBERS. 

WOLVERINE #1 

9.6 3,381 2,915
9.8 3,042 2,389

Comic book selling and trading is like stocks you try to buy them at a low price then sell them high. Keep some cheap CGC 3.5-7.5 of the same version as reader copies. I successfully had the Amazing Spider-man Omnibus vol 1 and bought it for 69.99 and sold it for 175. I also had the first Issue of Spawn origins vol 1 which I hugely regret selling off early I bought that book for 99.99 and solid it for 325 more than a year ago. The Spawn Origins Vol 1 now is even more higher price if you want to find one. (huge mistake selling this)

Edited by BITCOINSWAMI

2 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

361.thumb.jpg.200dcad9149aa482cf01725ff919ec94.jpg

There's only one big problem with this strategy here.  :gossip:

When it comes to the latest hot MA books on the shelves of your LCS's, you do realize that 99% of them basically becomes worthless drek after a few short months as the speculators will have move onto the next hot book by then.  Yes, you will get the very very rare winner every now and then, but you will also be left with hundreds of copies of other worthless drek issues of other once former hot books that nobody now would even want to touch with a 10-foot pole.  :tonofbricks:

9 minutes ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

I am not jumping on the hype train or anything I just know when to invest in certain comics and when they are on the rise.

If that Woody Harelson Carnage in Venom 2 is a blockbuster hit I see the FMV on 9.8 going to at least 650 or 750 easy. Problem with this edition is there is way to many copies so that is why it wont reach huge numbers in the FMV for a long time.

So you’re pre-boarding a possible hype train.  (thumbsu

SPIDER-MAN # 361

9.6 3,983 3,403
9.8 2,984 2,584

These are the total CGC 9.6 and 9.8 copies of Spider-man 361 on the market. To still cost around 400 or 350 with this much supply actually is interesting. This is not even counting the signature series and who knows many ungraded copies there are and its still selling for 78 to 90 bucks on ebay CGC 9.2.-9.6 range.

Usually with this much supply its interesting this value of this comic is this good.

Wolverine #1 FMV 9.8 its around $250 CGC slabbed and it has the same amount of copies and even though its not Wolverine first apperance its still his first solo series and wolverine has been huge star in practially every x-men movie and Hollywood has -rided wolverine for the past 10 years +

EXPLAIN THOSE NUMBERS! YOU WOULD THINK WOLVERINE BOOK WITH HOW MUCH THEY ARE USING HIM IN EVERY MOVIE FOR THAT PERIOD OF TIME THE VALUE OF THE COMIC WOULD SKY ROCKET BUT IT NEVER DID TO EXTREME NUMBERS. 

WOLVERINE #1 

9.6 3,381 2,915
9.8 3,042 2,389

You answered your own question - not a first.  You also didn’t say if it was 1982 or 1988 (or 2003, 2010, 2013) that you’re referring to.

Comic book selling and trading is like stocks you try to buy them at a low price then sell them high. Keep some cheap CGC 3.5-7.5 of the same version as reader copies. I successfully had the Amazing Spider-man Omnibus vol 1 and bought it for 69.99 and sold it for 175. I also had the first Issue of Spawn origins vol 1 which I hugely regret selling off early I bought that book for 99.99 and solid it for 325 more than a year ago. The Spawn Origins Vol 1 now is even more higher price if you want to find one. (huge mistake selling this)

If you’re so up to speed, why do you keep asking us if purchase x was a good deal?

41 minutes ago, Joosh said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

If I remember correctly, I have all 3 of them (i.e. ASM 361-363) stored in the same one used mylar facing the opposite direction with an old backing board separating the 361 from the other two.  Didn't figure any of the books were valuable enough to get their own separate mylar / backing board and sounds as though they still aren't from what I am reading here.  (shrug)

I wasn’t going to say anymore, then I read this as you put three books in one Mylar. This is bad idea.

I bag and board all my books cheaply, even the drek. A basic comic bag and acid free backing board is about $0.12 per book when bought in 100pc packs. This is way better than packing books together in the best single Mylar. For flimsy and/or better-than-drek books I’ll double/triple board them. I also use silver age sz bags and boards on my bronze to current books. These basic bags will eventually ripple and yellow, but it’ll take about a decade in my experience and even then I’ve yet to see damage to the book appear.

Definitely a good idea if the book was truly hard to find and had real value regardless of the grade it is in.  (thumbsu

But for a common book like ASM 361, as clearly evident by this previously posted picture from above:

158505.jpg.c3ced9915b0c4367ecbc7553dd4e24ac.jpg

along with the fact that most dealers at the cons normally also have multiple copies of this supposedly valuable book sitting on their tables looking for a buyer, means that it's not really worth the time and money to switch them out.  Well this, plus the fact that I have absolutely no idea where they would be since I just shoved it into one of the boxes when I got it, thinking they weren't really worth much since they came as a throw in with another deal.  doh!

8 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:
25 minutes ago, comics4all said:

Why not do a double pressing using a Webster's Dictionary & Roget's Thesaurus? 

I think if you stacked all 30 volumes of the Encyclopedia Brittanica, you might be getting somewhere.  :roflmao:

That plus the fact that you might just have to keep it there for the rest of your life just in order to save the $20 or whatever it costs to have a professional press job done on the book.  :screwy:

9 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I think if you stacked all 30 volumes of the Encyclopedia Brittanica, you might be getting somewhere.  :roflmao:

:roflmao:

What if he uses all his neighbors phone books(I know they don't make them anymore just pretend) on the block?

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

That plus the fact that you might just have to keep it there for the rest of your life just in order to save the $20 or whatever it costs to have a professional press job done on the book.  :screwy:

Not mention that comic book pressing isn't just putting  a comic book under something heavy or else collectors' have been paying $20 a pop for something they probably have laying around the house.

44 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

If you know how to navigate the registry, you can answer your own question.  

All I can say is that for any collector who lists their collection into a open Registry for the entire world to see, including potential thieves:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/01/09/1400000-batman-comics-stolen-storage-unit/?fbclid=IwAR1QMHQ5tOI1vMfCEjNWiGMEzTyVq97nrSVaJa9E98A9NbuGcRRXHOTGgvI

be sure to follow it up with the second part of the equation and keep them all tucked safely away in a storage security locker which any common thief would be able to break into at their own leisure.  doh!

Edited by lou_fine

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

All I can say is that for any collector who lists their collection into a open Registry for the entire world to see, including potential thieves:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/01/09/1400000-batman-comics-stolen-storage-unit/?fbclid=IwAR1QMHQ5tOI1vMfCEjNWiGMEzTyVq97nrSVaJa9E98A9NbuGcRRXHOTGgvI

be sure to follow it up with the second part of the equation and keep them all tucked safely away in a storage security locker which any common thief would be able to break into at their own leisure.  doh!

Thanks for the pointless lecture (thumbsu

@lou_fine : I just realized I answered a bunch of bitcoin's questions as a response under the one quote from you. My apologies.

Anecdote: Last year I changed out bags/boards on my early Spawn books; they looked yellow and rippled and boards were yellowed. The books themselves still looked like the day I got them in mid-late 90's. I'd say unless you want to look at the books or sell them, the old bags are fine in my experience.   

1 hour ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

SPIDER-MAN # 361

9.6 3,983 3,403
9.8 2,984 2,584

WOLVERINE #1 

9.6 3,381 2,915
9.8 3,042 2,389

Keep cheap CGC reader copies ? If they’re CGC graded then how you reading it in the slab ?