• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Slab or not to Slab?
3 3

777 posts in this topic

Why The hell does the outside edge look like this on the book I just got Amazing spider-man 362

The book looks perfectly fine except that edge all the paper feathering out and also the spine looks funny if you notice the back of the comic the staples are at a weird position whats the explanation for this? This is my reader copy I bought this for 8 bucks The comic itself looks glossy and totally fine except the spine and staples and the paper coming out  have the staples been taken out and re-stapled?

20190111_224151.jpg

20190111_224215.jpg

20190111_224257.jpg

20190111_224309.jpg

20190111_224332.jpg

20190111_224341.jpg

20190111_224354.jpg

20190111_224405.jpg

20190111_224519.jpg

20190111_224629.jpg

20190111_224643.jpg

20190111_224651.jpg

20190111_224714.jpg

20190111_224736.jpg

20190111_224746.jpg

20190111_224758.jpg

Inked20190111_224651_LI.jpg

Inked20190111_224722_LI.jpg

1 hour ago, Joosh said:

@lou_fine : I just realized I answered a bunch of bitcoin's questions as a response under the one quote from you. My apologies.

Anecdote: Last year I changed out bags/boards on my early Spawn books; they looked yellow and rippled and boards were yellowed. The books themselves still looked like the day I got them in mid-late 90's. I'd say unless you want to look at the books or sell them, the old bags are fine in my experience.   

No worries.  (thumbsu

To tell you the truth, I have books which I cherry picked off the shelves of the LCS's from back in the mid to late 70's stored away like bricks of 5 or so in those old yellow poly bags.  Surprisingly, they also still look as fresh and minty as the day I picked them off the shelves some 40+ years ago.  :whatthe:  :bigsmile:

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

No worries.  (thumbsu

To tell you the truth, I have books which I cherry picked off the shelves of the LCS's from back in the mid to late 70's stored away like bricks of 5 or so in those old yellow poly bags.  Surprisingly, they also still look as fresh and minty as the day I picked them off the shelves some 40+ years ago.  :whatthe:  :bigsmile:

Can you take a quick look at the uploads of spider-man 362 is that normal? The book like great other than that staples being  at werid angles and pages sticking out

6 minutes ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

Can you take a quick look at the uploads of spider-man 362 is that normal? The book like great other than that staples being  at werid angles and pages sticking out

You do realize you cannot truly tell anything about a book unless you actually have it in hand.  If you suspect that some manipulative work has been done to artificially maximize the potential of the book, the only way you can really tell is by having before and after scans of the book, which you obviously do not.  :gossip:

The seller was probably just trying to be considerate to you and did not want you to waste your valuable time looking for your copy of the Webster's Dictionary and decided to proactively squash the living daylights out of the book just for your benefit.  lol

17 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

You do realize you cannot truly tell anything about a book unless you actually have it in hand.  If you suspect that some manipulative work has been done to artificially maximize the potential of the book, the only way you can really tell is by having before and after scans of the book, which you obviously do not.  :gossip:

The seller was probably just trying to be considerate to you and did not want you to waste your valuable time looking for your copy of the Webster's Dictionary and decided to proactively squash the living daylights out of the book just for your benefit.  lol

LOL, I don't think he squashed it if you look other copies on ebay or online this issue its all the exact same thing and even the cgc 9.8 slabs you can see that edge sticking out

58 minutes ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

LOL, I don't think he squashed it if you look other copies on ebay or online this issue its all the exact same thing and even the cgc 9.8 slabs you can see that edge sticking out

Well, how do you think they ALL managed to hit that magical optimal grade of CGC 9.8 then?  :devil:

I am just surprised some of them didn't make it all the way to CGC 9.9 or did you forget to check that?  lol

5 hours ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

I am not jumping on the hype train or anything I just know when to invest in certain comics and when they are on the rice. Comic book selling and trading is like stocks you try to buy them at a low price then sell them high. Keep some cheap CGC 3.5-7.5 of the same version as reader copies. I successfully had the Amazing Spider-man Omnibus vol 1 and bought it for 69.99 and sold it for 175. I also had the first Issue of Spawn Omnibus which I hugely regret selling off early I bought that Omnibus for 109.99 and solid it for 325 more than a year ago. The Spawn Origins Vol 1 now is even more higher price if you want to find one. (huge mistake selling this)

Then you're even worse at this than I thought (and that's saying something). I got just over $900 for my ASM omni 1. Ouch. 

10 hours ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

I am not jumping on the hype train or anything I just know when to invest in certain comics and when they are on the rise.

If that Woody Harelson Carnage in Venom 2 is a blockbuster hit I see the FMV on 9.8 going to at least 650 or 750 easy. Problem with this edition is there is way to many copies so that is why it wont reach huge numbers in the FMV for a long time.

SPIDER-MAN # 361

9.6 3,983 3,403
9.8 2,984 2,584

These are the total CGC 9.6 and 9.8 copies of Spider-man 361 on the market. To still cost around 400 or 350 with this much supply actually is interesting. This is not even counting the signature series and who knows many ungraded copies there are and its still selling for 78 to 90 bucks on ebay CGC 9.2.-9.6 range.

Usually with this much supply its interesting this value of this comic is this good.

Wolverine #1 FMV 9.8 its around $250 CGC slabbed and it has the same amount of copies and even though its not Wolverine first apperance its still his first solo series and wolverine has been huge star in practially every x-men movie and Hollywood has -rided wolverine for the past 10 years +

EXPLAIN THOSE NUMBERS! YOU WOULD THINK WOLVERINE BOOK WITH HOW MUCH THEY ARE USING HIM IN EVERY MOVIE FOR THAT PERIOD OF TIME THE VALUE OF THE COMIC WOULD SKY ROCKET BUT IT NEVER DID TO EXTREME NUMBERS. 

WOLVERINE #1 

9.6 3,381 2,915
9.8 3,042 2,389

ASM361 is a good book, for sure, but Carnage is a villain.  Villain books get hot and then cool down.  I don’t see it going to those levels when the next Venom movie comes out.  That seems like a Harley type jump (and she’s become a bit of an anti-hero) or Deadpool (same thing).  But, I guess it could happen.  

Wolverine 1 was a massive spec book and an instant hit.  But it’s not a first app.  It’s an important Wolverine story, to be sure.  The market has shifted entirely away from great stories.  That’s why you haven’t seen a price explosion there.

As for your latest buy, yeah those are much nicer copies than the “record store” copy.  I think you paid a little bit much (early in the thread I said to send me a list; I could’ve sold you that run for less).

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:
10 hours ago, Joosh said:

@lou_fine : I just realized I answered a bunch of bitcoin's questions as a response under the one quote from you. My apologies.

Anecdote: Last year I changed out bags/boards on my early Spawn books; they looked yellow and rippled and boards were yellowed. The books themselves still looked like the day I got them in mid-late 90's. I'd say unless you want to look at the books or sell them, the old bags are fine in my experience.   

No worries.  (thumbsu

So in my experience, if the storage conditions are good, it is the books that turn the bags yellow.  I had bags from 30 years ago that were never put on books, and they look like the day I bought them, but bags that have been on books change, probably from the books off-gassing all those years and the bags exposure to oxygen.

I remember selling ASM 361's for $5.00. Then they went up and I could easily get $15.00 for a copy. Then $30, then $50 and now I can get $150.00 for some raw copies. I have never cared about Carnage other than the comic-books sell.

To me Carnage is a copy of a great character/concept. The world can't seem to leave originality alone and constantly copies it simply to make a buck. Carnage to me is no different than Bat-boy, Bat-dog, Bat-cat, Bat-girl, Bat-grandpa Bat-transvestite, etc. ..

1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

I remember selling ASM 361's for $5.00. Then they went up and I could easily get $15.00 for a copy. Then $30, then $50 and now I can get $150.00 for some raw copies. I have never cared about Carnage other than the comic-books sell.

To me Carnage is a copy of a great character/concept. The world can't seem to leave originality alone and constantly copies it simply to make a buck. Carnage to me is no different than Bat-boy, Bat-dog, Bat-cat, Bat-girl, Bat-grandpa Bat-transvestite, etc. ..

I've long wondered whatever happened to him...., er…, her...!?!

9 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Then you're even worse at this than I thought (and that's saying something). I got just over $900 for my ASM omni 1. Ouch. 

Yah i should of asked you but the way people are commenting and condensing tone to me ( not you ) its hard to trust purchasing comics from people in here.

Anyway I am looking for NM/ nm - copies of any key issues in X-men, Silver surfer, or runs of maximum carnage

4 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

ASM361 is a good book, for sure, but Carnage is a villain.  Villain books get hot and then 

As for your latest buy, yeah those are much nicer copies than the “record store” copy.  I think you paid a little bit much (early in the thread I said to send me a list; I could’ve sold you that run for less).

Yes a little pricey but I am fine with that I think this will be my reader copy I bought another 362 in a bull auction and will compare the 2

Comics I am looking for

Silver surfer good reads and story arcs nm/nm-/nm+

Dr strange good reads and story arcs nm/nm-/nm+

X-men key issues 

I want to complete the maximum carnage run so looking for nm + /nm

15 hours ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

do you even collect comics or have anything that is of value?

NO!...NO!....NO!...NO!..........NO!!!!!!!

You should always.....always......and I mean ALWAYS.....end questions like this with the phrase "sonny boy".

Fail to do that again and you and I are going to have an unpleasant conversation.

4 hours ago, NoMan said:

The ASM ominous are worth money?

Yes, that's actually quite surprising since these are just reprinted books, are they not?  :whatthe:

What were their original prices and it's unbelievable that people would be paying $900 smackers for them.  If this is the case, then wouldn't some of those first prints of the reprinted graphic novels also be worth a lot of money?  Especially for those that were either popular or in demand enough to go back for subsequent multiple reprinted editions.  hm

Edited by lou_fine