• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Slab or not to Slab?
3 3

777 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, mattn792 said:

If you purchase a book as "mint", and the provided photos clearly demonstrate that it has a dozen spine dings and two major color breaking creases, the fault lies with you as the buyer.

People, learn to grade.

No, it absolutely doesn't. This is supported by eBay's policy. We assume because we hang out on a comic grading forum that everyone should know how to grade. It should not be a requirement that someone know how to properly grade to enjoy comic book collecting or purchase a comic. I collected comics for 15 years as a kid and bought about 1500 comics before I stopped. I considered myself a pretty serious collector.  Before I got back into it last year and started hanging out here, I had no idea what truly affected grade. I could not have told you that " two color breaking creases" and spine ticks would prevent a book from being NM. This is obvious by all of the newbies (like me) that submit their books to CGC for the first time and are then shocked when their "perfect" books come back as 6s and 7s. If a book is advertised on eBay as a certain grade, it is not the fault of the purchaser for not knowing how to grade and understanding that it doesn't match that grade. It wasn't sold on the CGC forums. 

I again go back to my rolex example. If a rolex model is advertised as genuine yet has a leather strap rather than a steel band, a watch connoisseur might easily recognize that as a fake. That doesn't mean it's your fault if you buy it and don't realize that. The fault on this ASM auction is 100% on the seller if it was clearly stated as "mint" and he didn't say something like "great condition" or "looks like it is mint."

Edited by SBRobin

11 minutes ago, SBRobin said:

No, it absolutely doesn't. This is supported by eBay's policy. We assume because we hang out on a comic grading forum that everyone should know how to grade. It should not be a requirement that someone know how to properly grade to enjoy comic book collecting or purchase a comic. I collected comics for 15 years as a kid and bought about 1500 comics before I stopped. I considered myself a pretty serious collector.  Before I got back into it last year and started hanging out here, I had no idea what truly affected grade. I could not have told you that " two color breaking creases" and spine ticks would prevent a book from being NM. This is obvious by all of the newbies (like me) that submit their books to CGC for the first time and are then shocked when their "perfect" books come back as 6s and 7s. If a book is advertised on eBay as a certain grade, it is not the fault of the purchaser for not knowing how to grade and understanding that it doesn't match that grade. It wasn't sold on the CGC forums. 

I again go back to my rolex example. If a rolex model is advertised as genuine yet has a leather strap rather than a steel band, a watch connoisseur might easily recognize that as a fake. That doesn't mean it's your fault if you buy it and don't realize that. The fault on this ASM auction is 100% on the seller if it was clearly stated as "mint" and he didn't say something like "great condition" or "looks like it is mint."

You make a good point - the buyer of an obvious not mint sold as “MINT!!!” is not only at fault but also willfully negligent.

4 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

You make a good point - the buyer of an obvious not mint sold as “MINT!!!” is not only at fault but also willfully negligent.

Do you mean the seller?

Just now, mattn792 said:
3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Do you mean the seller?

The seller is either incompetent or being outright deceitful.  But the buyer is being negligent by not doing advanced homework on how to grade comics.  

So I assume these buyers are also at fault? I fail to see the difference, there are not known facts available to noob about grading, I'm sure a noob has never even heard of overstreet... let alone how to grade by scans to cgc standards...

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

So I assume these buyers are also at fault? I fail to see the difference, there are not known facts available to noob about grading, I'm sure a noob has never even heard of overstreet... let alone how to grade by scans to cgc standards...

Oh my yes.  Especially when eBay is full of legit yellow labels to compare against.

@mattn792

It's worth noting that I don't disagree with you, but hindsight is always 20/20....

So much to "know" now a days :foryou:

That sometimes I get why new people feel the way they do lol

1 minute ago, mattn792 said:

Oh my yes.  Especially when eBay is full of legit yellow labels to compare against.

17 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@mattn792

It's worth noting that I don't disagree with you, but hindsight is always 20/20....

So much to "know" now a days :foryou:

That sometimes I get why new people feel the way they do lol

I hear you, luckily the web makes it much easier to do background work, especially with a lot of types of memorabilia.  I think we’ve all had our regretful purchase phase, the difference is if you own it and learn from it, or try to pass the buck onto someone else and keep making the same mistakes.

The OP started this whole debacle with an impulse purchase, and I’d argue he hasn’t learned much since that time.

THIS IS THE 2ND SPIDER-MAN #361 I PURCHASED FROM EBAY THE LOT OF 361 362 363 for 199 I think I got ripped off the moment I opened the comic its all torn up at the bottom how much does this effect grading. Why has this happened? How am I supposed to know the inside of the comic is torn up if usually people never open the book and post inside pictures.

I just recieved a copy of spider-man #361 and the first 5 pages at the bottom are all cut up what the heck is this? Is this normal the seller said the book is NM NM-. How do these tears happen on 1st 5 pages only and also how much does CGC count against this? Should I return this to the seller ? Or is this normal for this type of tears at the bottom and this is a key issue. Seller said this is 9.4 NM or better.

20190114_234925.jpg

20190114_234933.jpg

20190114_234940.jpg

20190114_234947.jpg

20190114_234956.jpg

20190115_000839.jpg

20190115_000848.jpg

20190115_000859.jpg

20190115_002422.jpg

20190115_002442.jpg

20190115_002455.jpg

20190115_002504.jpg

20190115_002514.jpg

20190115_002536.jpg

20190115_002548.jpg

20190115_002607.jpg

20190115_002615.jpg

20190115_002628.jpg

20190115_002658.jpg

20190115_002705(1).jpg

20190115_002705.jpg

12 minutes ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

THIS IS THE 2ND SPIDER-MAN #361 I PURCHASED FROM EBAY THE LOT OF 361 362 363 for 199 I think I got ripped off the moment I opened the comic its all torn up at the bottom how much does this effect grading. Why has this happened? How am I supposed to know the inside of the comic is torn up if usually people never open the book and post inside pictures.

I just recieved a copy of spider-man #361 and the first 5 pages at the bottom are all cut up what the heck is this? Is this normal the seller said the book is NM NM-. How do these tears happen on 1st 5 pages only and also how much does CGC count against this? Should I return this to the seller ? Or is this normal for this type of tears at the bottom and this is a key issue. Seller said this is 9.4 NM or better.

Got a picture?  j/k

Pretty sure that's a production defect, and won't affect grade much if at all.

Edited by grebal
not sure about those tiny tears on bc, probably same defect but uncertain about that

43 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

See the critically acclaimed reaction when he "accidentally" buys a 2nd print of #361...

This is a story about One Man ... One Comic Book ... One Condition ... 

Critics  claim it’s a page turner .... you won’t be able to put it down .. 

the feel good story of the year ...