• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Slab or not to Slab?
3 3

777 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I don't understand what the issue is here.  F=MA.  I think small particles will travel through your body (think rays...X, gamma, radio, etc), but if I take a solid mass projectile and accelerate it to the speed of light, it's not going to phase through other matter simply because it's traveling at the speed of light.  I would expect a massive explosion powerful enough to sunder a planet to be honest.

If I remember my limited Star Wars physics, doesn't "light speed" actually utilize interdimensional shortcuts (unlike Star Trek, where they're just moving at multiples of the speed of light)?  

9 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

If I remember my limited Star Wars physics, doesn't "light speed" actually utilize interdimensional shortcuts (unlike Star Trek, where they're just moving at multiples of the speed of light)?  

That would be hyperjumping which effectively creates a localized wormhole connecting two points in the universe.  The scene itself references making the jump to lightspeed which is moving at the speed of light.

(EDIT: now seeing other videos where they refer to the same thing as lightspeed.  It confuses me because isn't Han always trying to fix the hyperdrive on the millennium falcon?)

Edited by ExNihilo

1 minute ago, ExNihilo said:

That would be hyperjumping which effectively creates a localized wormhole connecting two points in the universe.  The scene itself references making the jump to lightspeed which is moving at the speed of light.

Well either way, it rid the Star Wars universe of Laura Dern's awful character.  At least we can hope so.  After Carrie Fisher learned to fly, who the hell knows what they'll pull next.

2 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Well either way, it rid the Star Wars universe of Laura Dern's awful character.  At least we can hope so.  After Carrie Fisher learned to fly, who the hell knows what they'll pull next.

What was the purpose of Laura Dern's awful character? They could have had Leia in that role or Admiral Ackbar! 

But I'm glad  they didn't because I still like those 2 characters! :roflmao:

4 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

(EDIT: now seeing other videos where they refer to the same thing as lightspeed.  It confuses me because isn't Han always trying to fix the hyperdrive on the millennium falcon?)

Instead of Dern, they should have used Admiral Ackbar as his final send off... but of course... JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson screwed the original cast members

5 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Instead of Dern, they should have used Admiral Ackbar as his final send off... but of course... JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson screwed the original cast members

I agree with you 100%.  I have a soft spot for Laura Dern (after seeing her in Jurassic Park), but her turn as whatever-her-Star-Wars-character's-name was bad.

13 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I don't understand what the issue is here.  F=MA.  I think small particles will travel through your body (think rays...X, gamma, radio, etc), but if I take a solid mass projectile and accelerate it to the speed of light, it's not going to phase through other matter simply because it's traveling at the speed of light.  I would expect a massive explosion powerful enough to sunder a planet to be honest.

In Star Wars continuity, however, Light Speed allows ships to travel through matter. Evidenced by all of the travels in the 7 movies before it. Han used this method to travel through Starkiller Base's shield in the previous episode!

Rian Johnson has no compunction for continuity, lore, or storytelling. This scene is clear evidence of that fact. I'm about to blackout again...

6 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

In Star Wars continuity, however, Light Speed allows ships to travel through matter. Evidenced by all of the travels in the 7 movies before it. Han used this method to travel through Starkiller Base's shield in the previous episode!

Yeah, but a shield is an energy field that surrounds something.  Light is a form of energy and we pass through that everyday.  Passing through something with an oscillating frequency would be a matter of matching that frequency so you could pass through without interrupting the field.  (at least that's what I tell myself).  :insane:

I mean, TLJ is a crappy movie and I cringed when they said they were gonna give Rian Johnson his own trilogy/series.  But I don't consider the light speed manuever one of the negative moments in that movie.

8 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I agree with you 100%.  I have a soft spot for Laura Dern (after seeing her in Jurassic Park), but her turn as whatever-her-Star-Wars-character's-name was bad.

Admiral Holdo. 

6 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Yeah, but a shield is an energy field that surrounds something.  Light is a form of energy and we pass through that everyday.  Passing through something with an oscillating frequency would be a matter of matching that frequency so you could pass through without interrupting the field.  (at least that's what I tell myself).  :insane:

I mean, TLJ is a crappy movie and I cringed when they said they were gonna give Rian Johnson his own trilogy/series.  But I don't consider the light speed manuever one of the negative moments in that movie.

You suck!

Spoiler

:jokealert:

6 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

From "A New Hope":

BEN: How long before you can make the jump to light speed?

HAN: It'll take a few moments to get the coordinates from the navi-computer.

The ship begins to rock violently as lasers hit it.

LUKE: Are you kidding? At the rate they're gaining...

HAN: Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?

21 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

From "A New Hope":

BEN: How long before you can make the jump to light speed?

HAN: It'll take a few moments to get the coordinates from the navi-computer.

The ship begins to rock violently as lasers hit it.

LUKE: Are you kidding? At the rate they're gaining...

HAN: Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?

This would stand to reason, then, that the rebels' small ship wouldn't split a Star Destroyer in half. No matter how anyone spins it, despite looking good, that scene was trash. I'm blacking out again...

8 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

This would stand to reason, then, that the rebels' small ship wouldn't split a Star Destroyer in half. No matter how anyone spins it, despite looking good, that scene was trash. I'm blacking out again...

From the EF5 tornado in Joplin, Missouri

3c8bdff50cd5bc06264d56d14263ee63--garden

Henryville, Indiana tornado 

120308_henryville29_bs.jpg

Hurricane Irma

va5r29K.jpg