• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Slab or not to Slab?
3 3

777 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

reminds me of some 1970s Hotrod magazines I used to have in the garage that suffered from termite damage - tossed the entire box

why anyone would slab that mess is beyond me.

What "if" the book still had the original termites and they were encapsulated with the book? Of course you have a dozen termites in a slab, 1 of em is coming back restored and that kills that idea.

9 minutes ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

Looking for a good copy of nova #1 also who the heck reported me ! Whats wrong with you people Screenshot_20190214-031803_Chrome.thumb.jpg.80b29284fb2416ac0ea19a96b5cc59ae.jpg

Nova #1 ? What year is this? Your timing is way off - do you only buy books that are peaking in price?

also-- that only one person has reported you is amazing to me. You've earned plenty more

44 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

What "if" the book still had the original termites and they were encapsulated with the book? Of course you have a dozen termites in a slab, 1 of em is coming back restored and that kills that idea.

I can't say for sure that this is termite damage for one. Could just be the remnants of serious water damage where the top part of the book was destroyed.

regardless-- I would think, given enough time -- that pages from this book might actually have some value to some collectors. Some of those single pages from Action 1 go for big money - not that this book is close to that valuation BUT again-- given time... might be possible. Now if you find some who has an intact front portion of the comic that has major damage to the back-- a nice Frankenbook could be cobbled together as well. ABout the only thing the slabbing has done is verify that it is a legitimate, albeit really terrible copy, of GSXM1.

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

reminds me of some 1970s Hotrod magazines I used to have in the garage that suffered from termite damage - tossed the entire box

why anyone would slab that mess is beyond me.

At this point it would be better to cut the book in half even that would be more presentable 

if it were a personal copy-- I could see cobbling together some sort of restoration project out of it. That type of damage to the top makes me think that many of the pages are fused together though. It would be interesting to look at it raw and page through it. I don't think I've ever read that comic (never a big new X-men fan).