• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Flash of Two Worlds display - how many board members love Flash #123?
1 1

59 posts in this topic

With the exception of the mention of a parallel world (they say it's a first. I have my doubts) it's a really really lame story. I keep thinking of that panel with the characters dancing like puppets.  Yes, Cool cover. Yes, I have one. CGC 6.5.

Just my opinion mind you. 

On 3/1/2019 at 4:09 PM, NoMan said:

With the exception of the mention of a parallel world (they say it's a first. I have my doubts) it's a really really lame story. I keep thinking of that panel with the characters dancing like puppets.  Yes, Cool cover. Yes, I have one. CGC 6.5.

The reason to have one for me anyway, has always been the introduction of Golden Age Flash into the Silver Age. They could have written him in anyway they wanted to... he could have jumped out of soup can for all I cared. I'm just glad he got put back into the stories. I'm a collector of Golden Age Flash too so being able to read all those GA stories reprinted in the SA was great for me. I liked the way they wrote the 2 characters together when they teamed up. In the years before the internet, I don't think I even knew when he came in. I had many SA issues in my first Flash collection but not that one. I guess I just assumed Jay had always been part of the SA. I did not even come across a 123 until 90's. The minute I saw it of course I had to have it!

Of course there are lots of lame stories in comics, especially when you compare them to some of the great writing going on today. I take these old stories for what they were and are. John Broome will always be special for me because he wrote all those old Flash classics. Simple, short, with children in mind, still somehow he always tried to put a little something of his adult writing into them, science fiction/mystery, a little flavor which I really enjoyed. So hey, there's a Earth 2 which vibrates at a different frequency, sure let's go there and see what its all about, count me in! :whee:

7 minutes ago, flashlites said:

The reason to have one for me anyway, has always been the introduction of Golden Age Flash into the Silver Age. They could have written him in anyway they wanted to... he could have jumped out of soup can for all I cared. I'm just glad he got put back into the stories. I'm a collector of Golden Age Flash too so being able to read all those GA stories reprinted in the SA was great for me. I liked the way they wrote the 2 characters together when they teamed up. In the years before the internet, I don't think I even knew when he came in. I had many SA issues in my first Flash collection but not that one. I guess I just assumed Jay had always been part of the SA. I did not even come across a 123 until 90's. The minute I saw it of course I had to have it!

Of course there are lots of lame stories in comics, especially when you compare them to some of the great writing going on today. I take these old stories for what they were and are. John Broome will always be special for me because he wrote all those old Flash classics. Simple, short, with children in mind, still somehow he always tried to put a little something of his adult writing into them, science fiction/mystery, a little flavor which I really enjoyed. So hey, there's a Earth 2 which vibrates at a different frequency, sure let's go there and see what its all about, count me in! :whee:

Where?

9 hours ago, flashlites said:

I don't have one of those, but I have had this one for a long time now. I wonder if its the same sculptor?

0319192103.jpg

Sculpted by none other than the great William Paquet. Paquet was the primary sculptor for DC Direct during the Golden Age of Superhero Statue-Figurines. The Golden Age Flash Statue is a classic that first came Out in "medium-size" and then a "mini" version. Classic!

On 1/5/2019 at 9:18 PM, bocabill said:

Is this the backdrop insert that you guys mentioned I should use instead of displaying the comic? I found this inside the statue's box. It is hardly the heavy cardboard stock that they claim it to be though.

49844953_749137422146262_5279250852509384704_n.jpg

I would keep the comic out on display. It's not in direct sun light and I've never seen the point in buying a beautiful comic like that and then hiding it away in box. As long as you take precautions it's fine.

I just bought my copy last night. Just have to wait a few days for it to ship... I hate playing the waiting game lol. 

Thanks for starting this great thread. This is long over due for such a classic book.

Edited by Steelrain41

On 3/2/2019 at 9:09 AM, NoMan said:

Back in the early days of Fandom when they did one of the first Alley awards and fans from all over mailed in their favorites it was clearly voted the best comic of the year. Yep dated but still an amazing comic story, and a very important piece of comic history. Gardner Fox wrote fiction and science fiction sometimes under other names, and also was a huge sci-fi fan himself having been an avid reader of the pulps. I believe that the actual first mention of parallel worlds is in a pulp story back in around 1931-1933 and I even think the term separated by vibrational frequency was used. It is dated,as is Tec 27, Action 1, all Cap American by Simon and Kirby, but I think it is still one of my favourites and the impact it had on comics was enormous.