• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Surfer Color Guide Transparency Real ? The Enslavers

9 posts in this topic

Hope this is okay to post here. I was directed here from reddit and thought I might get a bit more experience here. Bit of a trader of random things and not a comic book expert by any stretch. But I came across this and was wondering if there was a way to authenticate it or at least know exactly what it is. It's a transparency with the color guide (is that what this is called?) for Silver Surfer's "The Enslavers" comic. Would love to hear thoughts on it.

https://imgur.com/a/PLrCO8V

On 1/5/2019 at 10:49 AM, flattracker14j said:

Hope this is okay to post here. I was directed here from reddit and thought I might get a bit more experience here. Bit of a trader of random things and not a comic book expert by any stretch. But I came across this and was wondering if there was a way to authenticate it or at least know exactly what it is. It's a transparency with the color guide (is that what this is called?) for Silver Surfer's "The Enslavers" comic. Would love to hear thoughts on it.

Transparencies have generally been problematic, since some people just photocopy things onto transparency.  I can't say if these are real or not, but saying that, the actual pen and ink pages for this comic would only be a few hundred and "real" production art would be a fraction of that, so even if it is real, I would estimate value in the 10s of dollars only.

Malvin

90+% of all transparencies you see on Ebay are wildly_fanciful_statement. Pure wildly_fanciful_statement. Nothing about the modern printing process required them.   They are not ColorKey plates. They are all frauds.  Anything that is OA size is absolute nonsense.  Anyone that tells you otherwise is a liar, or a fool that was lied to and literally and figuratively "bought" the lie.

24 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

90+% of all transparencies you see on Ebay are wildly_fanciful_statement. Pure wildly_fanciful_statement. Nothing about the modern printing process required them.   They are not ColorKey plates. They are all frauds.  Anything that is OA size is absolute nonsense.  Anyone that tells you otherwise is a liar, or a fool that was lied to and literally and figuratively "bought" the lie.

well, call me a fool, but i know for sure that you're wrong.....to me, those are real, because in some marvel graphic novels, color guides were done this way, which is the traditionnal way (painted pages with transparency overlay)

same goes for the size, which isn't that uncommon...i know for sure, because i bought colors from the silver surfer by buscema graphic novel, they were done the same way, size was about  11 x 16 per page, and i bought them directly to christie scheele, so i know they weren't fakes

30 minutes ago, visarspike said:

well, call me a fool, but i know for sure that you're wrong.....to me, those are real, because in some marvel graphic novels, color guides were done this way, which is the traditionnal way (painted pages with transparency overlay)

same goes for the size, which isn't that uncommon...i know for sure, because i bought colors from the silver surfer by buscema graphic novel, they were done the same way, size was about  11 x 16 per page, and i bought them directly to christie scheele, so i know they weren't fakes

Sir you are talking about something else- that's camera-ready art used to shoot film in the pre-Pre-press linotronic film plate days. That ended in the early 90's.  If it's from the 80's, its probably legit. But the Ovelay itself would only be the Black Plate in most cases- though there could be multiple overlays if the art was in color, and had to be printing 4 color process, and the overlay of the text would be incorporated into the final black plate.  the ones on ebay is almost all hokum.  Most of that paste-up art used to shoot plates was trashed- don't really see much of it- and it would have all kinds or anecdotal marks that would date it properly.  The stuff on ebay looks like someone got ahold of digital files used to make digital plates, and printed them on transparency. Bogus. If you pay $50 for one of those, you might as well burn money in your BBQ pit.

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

On 1/5/2019 at 10:49 AM, flattracker14j said:

I can't give you a value because I don't know. 

What you see is a color guide. This piece was painted using the Blueline coloring technique. The black line art is reproduced on an acetate overlay which is then laid on top of the painted art. This completes the page and the art is camera ready. 

The Paul Mounts paints are original.

The Keith Pollard black line art is not.

It is part of the production process. A bit more involved than just a typical color guide.

Edited by Shemp

@flattracker14jto the original poster- I went on a rant about transparencies in general- but I did not click on the link to your example- and that was my mistake- in your case, I think it's 100% legit. Much more legit than what I was talking about. I would put the value on par with old style color guides- this is one of a kind to that printing- unless it was a foreign reprint or a reprint for a collected edition. The value really stems from the popularity of the comic itself.  Watchmen or Dark Knight Production art will command some $$$. The production art to Superboxers GN not so much.

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

Thank you all for the response. I apologize for the delay, I was out of town for interviews. So, seems like the color guide is legit and the transparency obviously a copy. Nonetheless a cool piece to someone who likes the comic. No one seems to know the value. I normally just set things to a $0.99 auction if I think they would get sufficient views. Unless someone has a better idea of how to value and sell it. I don't really know what the normal channels are in the comic book world. 

3 hours ago, flattracker14j said:

Thank you all for the response. I apologize for the delay, I was out of town for interviews. So, seems like the color guide is legit and the transparency obviously a copy. Nonetheless a cool piece to someone who likes the comic. No one seems to know the value. I normally just set things to a $0.99 auction if I think they would get sufficient views. Unless someone has a better idea of how to value and sell it. I don't really know what the normal channels are in the comic book world. 

+1! I start mine at 1 cent.

Malvin