• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic artists dying early
1 1

79 posts in this topic

I was think of buying a Dave Hoover page. He is affordable and I like his lines. So I looked him up to see what he is up to and he has been dead for 7 years, passing at age 56 or so. Then I looked up a bunch of others who were active in the 70s-90s and so many didn't make it to 70 it seems. Sure, you have your john romitas and Steve ditkos, but a lot of these guys don't live long. While there may be deadline stress and lousy (or no) health insurance, this isn't working in a coal mine or welding sky scrapers. Are my observations purely anecdotal? 

Mike Parobeck, a diabetic, was only 30 when he died.

A very sad loss of a great talent.

Edited by Ken Aldred

8 minutes ago, MYNAMEISLEGION said:

sitting hunched over a drawing table for a living's not the healthiest for sure- and imagine how many have work related injuries- Carpal tunnel, arthritis, etc- eyesight issues. Mostly the sitting though- as they literally made no money unless they were drawing.

I'm not sure about that.  Many, many artists active from the 50s, 60s and 70s have just recently passed: Steve Ditko (90), Marie Severin (89), Harlan Ellison (82), Russ Heath (91), Gene Colan (84)

There's still a few still out there today that are from the olden days that are still with us: Sal Buscema, Jim Steranko, Jim Starlin, John Romita

1 hour ago, JazzMan said:

I'm not sure about that.  Many, many artists active from the 50s, 60s and 70s have just recently passed: Steve Ditko (90), Marie Severin (89), Harlan Ellison (82), Russ Heath (91), Gene Colan (84)

There's still a few still out there today that are from the olden days that are still with us: Sal Buscema, Jim Steranko, Jim Starlin, John Romita

Harlan Ellison is a writer. But yes, some of the old timers did better. Starlin is only 69.  If a man lives to 51 they actually have a life expectancy to 79. Sal buscema is old, big big john left us earlyish. A lot of guys who broke in in the 70s/80s have not done well in the lifespan department, it seems. Rich buckles, Dave cockrum, Allan kupferman, others. True, when I hit 64 and see how many contemporaries are dead I guess it won't seem odd. 

Edited by the blob

2 minutes ago, the blob said:

Harlan Ellison is a writer. But yes, some of the old timers did better. Sal buscema is old, big big john left us earlyish. A lot of guys who broke in in the 70s/80s have not done well in the lifespan department, it seems. 

Don Perlin is still alive :foryou:

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

Mike Parobeck, a diabetic, was only 30 when he died.

A very sad loss of a great talent.

He was quite amazing.  His work on Batman the Animated series is still iconic.

Norm Breyfogle passed at 58, another loss

2 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Don't forget Allen Bellman and Joe Sinnott are still kicking. 

Joe sinnott says he was paid $46 a page back in 1956 (apparently cut to $21 after a downturn). $430 in 2019 dollars. He was paying $30 a month rent in Manhattan. A pretty good paycheck if he was doing 2 books a month. Maybe that helped keep him alive?

15 hours ago, JazzMan said:

Of those whom I followed who've died relatively young:

Darwyn Cooke died at 53.

Michael Turner died at 37.

Dave Stevens dies at 52.

All three died of cancer. I'm not sure that's an artist thing.

Dave Hoover was a fit guy who just had a heart attack and died very unexpectedly. 

average male (since 95% of the creators we are talking about are male) life span in the US is just under 79

Sedentary lifestyles (either jobs at desks, or excessive time on couch/non-existent anaerobic activity) seems to only decrease lifespans on average by 2 years (Katzmarzyk and Lee, 2012)

Smoking decreased livespans by 10 years. 

Lack of available health insurance throughout life also decreases life spans by 10 years on average (when compared to communites that have full access to healthcare). 

it adds up...