• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic artists dying early
1 1

79 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

I've never heard of Kupferman. What did he work on?

kupperberg. add tom sutton for an earliyish death, a bunch of guys I grew up with in the 70s and 80s are about to hit 70..byrne, BWS, zeck, pollard, starlin, milgrom, wrightson didn't make it there. jeez louis, John Romita Junior is 62!

Maybe it just seems like they drop dead early. I dunno. Obviously some don't. 

Gene Day was only in his early 30s when he died.

http://jimshooter.com/2011/08/comment-and-answer-about-gene-days.html/

Two contrasting opinions.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, the blob said:

jeez louis, John Romita Junior is 62!

I was bagging some of his early Spider-Mans (in the 200s) the other day and thought about his age. I'm 46, and I started doing the math... and holy cow! He is 62! You never expect these guys to age. You have that one picture of them in your brain when you met them, and that's the age they'll always be.

45 minutes ago, RCheli said:

I was bagging some of his early Spider-Mans (in the 200s) the other day and thought about his age. I'm 46, and I started doing the math... and holy cow! He is 62! You never expect these guys to age. You have that one picture of them in your brain when you met them, and that's the age they'll always be.

Is everyone on this frigging board 46?

1 minute ago, the blob said:

Is everyone on this frigging board 46?

Everyone was celebrating the ratification of the 26th Amendment. It was a huge event across the nation, as people celebrated the inclusion of a younger electorate. It was the ultimate aphrodisiac, and led to many pregnancies.

Duh.

5 minutes ago, RCheli said:

Everyone was celebrating the ratification of the 26th Amendment. It was a huge event across the nation, as people celebrated the inclusion of a younger electorate. It was the ultimate aphrodisiac, and led to many pregnancies.

Duh.

Actually,1972 was a "baby bust" year..low birth rates in 72, 73, etc. (boomers were still mostly getting high and not having kids and still wanted to experiment with some free love sans conception, "Greatest Generation" had stopped having kids, so it was mostly people born in the depression (another baby bust) at the tail end of their kid having days. but I guess this led to more comic nerds as we had fewer kids to play with... It was why I was able to get into the college I got into. I would never in a million years be able to get in that school now with the grades I had.

Edited by the blob

4 hours ago, comicparadox said:

Wallace Wood died in the mid-1980s. He had several chronic diseases including alcohol use disorder, and was a smoker. I believe he was 54 when he died, of self-inflicted gunshot. An amazingly talented artist with distinctive style.

He had a stroke and went partially blind. Understandably depressed.

I recall being shocked at the news at the time, as a big EC fan.

1 minute ago, JollyComics said:

Holmes died at Nanaimo, BC, undergoing chemotherapy treatment for Hodgkin's lymphoma.  I thought he died of the lung cancer.  Did you notice his ashtray filled with butts?

no but good catch.  He had a strong wally wood influence I think.

Cant stand stiff looking art-figures especially.  Artist can be highly technically proficient but if figures look stiff it just kills it for me.  I've been asked to describe what stiffness is its hard to describe.  I just see it.  Anyone else?  Best example of loose artist I can think of is Frazetta.  Best example of stiff, Sal Buscema and Frank Robbins.  Rand Holmes is a bit stiff but its still great.

9TaddKM9_2910130251571.jpg

f0f44a34baeeedcd5bc7e9d37c283eba.jpg

TRCRoV7D_1506140440111.jpg

frank9.JPG

On 1/6/2019 at 4:22 PM, JazzMan said:

There's still a few still out there today that are from the olden days that are still with us: Sal Buscema, Jim Steranko, Jim Starlin, John Romita

Well, Steranko must have seen the writing on the wall early as he pretty much left the industry after doing only around 20 books or thereabouts.  :gossip:

Or was it due to the fact that he was such a perfectionist by the end that it took him something like well over 6 months to complete that 7-page story, At The Stroke of Midnight, in the first issue of Tower of Shadows?  :taptaptap:  hm

At the page rates they were paying in those days, he must have been eating out of a soup can by the time that story was done.  lol

Edited by lou_fine