• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics #1 CGC 5.0 up for Auction
1 1

60 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, lou_fine said:

You must mean this little beauty that's been given an estimate of only $8K to $12K:

Detective Comics #2 CGC 6.5

Should definitely beat their low-ball estimate since it's the 3rd highest graded copy of what I would say is definitely a tough book to find in this type of grade.  :cloud9:

"LIGHT TAN..."  always gives me the shivers...

3 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

+1

Would definitely agree with you here as the lower graded copy definitely presents a lot nicer from a front cover visual point of view.  (thumbsu

So, unless there is some other obvious defect that we are not seeing either on the back cover or interior pages, I would definitely go with the lower grade copy here. Especially since those little color breaking creases on the corners don't tend to bother me as much as they obviously bother Matt Nelson who seemingly hates all types of creases (since that's his forte) and will apply the sledge hammer to those books over any other defect when it comes to grading.  >:(

Either way, any potential bidders for either of these 2 books should really be paying for the grading notes, for what ever they are worth.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/8/2019 at 2:45 PM, domuhnator said:

Has anyone ever heard of the auction house before? Seems like an odd choice for books of this caliber.

Take a quick look on liveauctioneers ; they have a history on the site going back 15+ years. The premium of 25% is a little off-putting, though.  Seems Alderfer's leans towards art, antiques....and estates. Judging by the age gap of the books, it looks like generations. To me, this looks like a couple of collections put together, but I'm not complaining.

Edited by Sackolantern
more info, clarity

On 1/8/2019 at 1:10 PM, batman_fan said:
On 1/8/2019 at 12:50 PM, Gotham Kid said:

I would definitely prefer the lower grade but better page quality. 

Yeah, me, too.  Although I have a feeling that the Heritage copy is probably not as bright in hand as it appears in the scan. 

7 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Tec #1 sold for $32,500.  With 25% premium = $40,625!!!  Wow didn't expect it to go that high lol

$6k a point ??  What was it 5 years ago ?  Realize it could just be the auction house but maybe not 

8 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:
8 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Tec #1 sold for $32,500.  With 25% premium = $40,625!!!  Wow didn't expect it to go that high lol

$6k a point ??  What was it 5 years ago ?  Realize it could just be the auction house but maybe not 

Well, if the $40K+ figure is right including the 25% juice, then it's probably not too far off from the other auction houses.  (shrug)

Looks like Heritage was able to sell a CGC 4.5 graded copy for $28,680 while the CC database indicate they sold 2 CGC 5.0 graded copies back in 2013.  The first one went for $37,611 back on June 12 of 2013; while the second copy sold for $33,500 later on December 11 of 2013.  All 3 of these were sold at a premium over the Overstreet guide at the time, which is also the case here with this copy going for $40K.  :gossip:

9 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

If I bid the 32,500 and won who pays the  25% premium ? Do I get the book for the 32,500 or do I have to pay 40,625 ?

I get this mix up with Heritage who pays the premium the buyer or the consigner ?

As the winner of the auction, in this case, you have the pleasure of adding 25% to the price you bid. So, you bid 32,500...you actually pay 40,625.   Now, in the case of Heritage and ComicLink my experience as a seller is that they take the final price, and they take 10% off that... so would send the consignor (40625 x .9) around 36,500.   If I'm wrong or have missed anything, please correct me. Thx!

That commission rate is another reason to really pay attention/check before you bid. 25% is very high, but I have seen 28 and 32% once.

Edited by Sackolantern
added note

I actually attended the auction. If you bid live the BP is 20% But you pay 6% PA sales tax unless you have a resellers state sales tax ID number on file. So He got it at just under or just over 40K since The winner of the tec 1 was live. I had the misfourtune of bidding against him on a few books I wanted. He cost me $600 extra on the adventure 42 :(. The most surprising book to me was the tec 24, It sold for around $4800 with BP. I think it went to the same guy as who bought the tec 1.

13 minutes ago, domuhnator said:

I actually attended the auction. If you bid live the BP is 20% But you pay 6% PA sales tax unless you have a resellers state sales tax ID number on file. So He got it at just under or just over 40K since The winner of the tec 1 was live. I had the misfourtune of bidding against him on a few books I wanted. He cost me $600 extra on the adventure 42 :(. The most surprising book to me was the tec 24, It sold for around $4800 with BP. I think it went to the same guy as who bought the tec 1.

Congrats on the Adventure 42, that is an awesome book!

26 minutes ago, domuhnator said:

What shape was the Tec 24?

2 hours ago, mwotka said:

Congrats on the Adventure 42, that is an awesome book!

Thanks Mike! I feel like I overpaid but I really wanted it.

1 hour ago, Tsp99 said:

What shape was the Tec 24?

I called it a 2.5 when I was figuring out what kind of bids I wanted to throw. It had a big spine split and was detached at the top staple. It presented nice but I really don't think it would have hit 3.0. But I tend to under grade so its hard to say. I also think its slightly brittle. All the GA in this auction came from the same collection and a lot of the books had poor PQ.