• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics #1 CGC 5.0 up for Auction
1 1

60 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, domuhnator said:

Thanks Mike! I feel like I overpaid but I really wanted it.

I called it a 2.5 when I was figuring out what kind of bids I wanted to throw. It had a big spine split and was detached at the top staple. It presented nice but I really don't think it would have hit 3.0. But I tend to under grade so its hard to say. I also think its slightly brittle. All the GA in this auction came from the same collection and a lot of the books had poor PQ.

You should have bought this copy for 10 cents :makepoint:

newsstand-Action-9-Tec-24-Adventure.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:10 PM, batman_fan said:

I would definitely prefer the lower grade but better page quality. 

Still trying to learn the ins and outs of the hobby...wondering if you do this type of theory on all books or just certain books like this rarely seen item?... better page quality vs grade...?  Thank you

1 hour ago, Chief1332 said:

Still trying to learn the ins and outs of the hobby...wondering if you do this type of theory on all books or just certain books like this rarely seen item?... better page quality vs grade...?  Thank you

It really depends on the difference in page quality and grade.  But this is especially true for books with Slightly Brittle or Brittle pages.

5 minutes ago, Chief1332 said:

So how about that DC #2...?  vs the HA copy up next month.?

Personally I would have taken the one in this auction all day every day. It looked beautiful in hand and light tan pages are not that much different then cream honestly. Not to mention its a full 1.5 better of a grade.

1 hour ago, Chief1332 said:

I think it is really a preference thing. Some people go for highest grade other people focus more on eye appeal rather than numerical grade. White pages are generally valued higher than cream to off white. I have seen equivalent graded books sell for drastically different prices because of eye appeal. 

2 hours ago, Chief1332 said:

I will take a lower grade, better eye appeal/PQ over a higher grade. As a collector with gold (or silver), having a nice presenting low grade copy with nice colors and paper trumps a structurally nicer copy that may have inferior eye appeal/PQ. Then again, with the rarer gold, I have made some exceptions the past few years as getting "a" copy is just as satisfying. 

Edited by Primetime

15 hours ago, Sackolantern said:

As the winner of the auction, in this case, you have the pleasure of adding 25% to the price you bid. So, you bid 32,500...you actually pay 40,625.   Now, in the case of Heritage and ComicLink my experience as a seller is that they take the final price, and they take 10% off that... so would send the consignor (40625 x .9) around 36,500.   If I'm wrong or have missed anything, please correct me. Thx!

No, not quite right in terms of your calculations here.

Both CC and CL would simply take 10% off the final price here of $40,625 which would leave the consignor with $36,562.50.

If the consignor had gone with Heritage Auctions and did not receive any special deals and the hammer price came in at $32,500, Heritage would receive a total of $39,000 (the $32,500 hammer price plus the 20% buyer's premium).  From here, the seller would have to pay a standard 15% seller's premium (unless they have really nice books and can negotiate the fees down) on the hammer price or $4,875 and they would then receive only $27,625 (i.e. the $32,500 hammer price less the 15% buyer's premium.  :gossip:

All told and once again if we assume no special deals are made which is the likely scenario for most consignors here, Heritage would receive $11,375 out of this sale or almost triple what CC and CL would have receive since they have no buyer's premium and only the standard 10% seller's premium.  No wonder why Heritage can have the huge staff and fancy catalogues which they send out gratis to all of their potential bidders.  hm

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

I think it is really a preference thing. Some people go for highest grade other people focus more on eye appeal rather than numerical grade. White pages are generally valued higher than cream to off white. I have seen equivalent graded books sell for drastically different prices because of eye appeal. 

I focus on getting any shape copy I can first. I than go for the upgrade and still keeping the lower grade :makepoint:  nuts.png.7652677f37057018bd11f46b732f6c17.pngwith our love :cry: of books :takeit:10 copy's Thank you.

Edited by woowoo

6 hours ago, domuhnator said:

Thanks Mike! I feel like I overpaid but I really wanted it.

I called it a 2.5 when I was figuring out what kind of bids I wanted to throw. It had a big spine split and was detached at the top staple. It presented nice but I really don't think it would have hit 3.0. But I tend to under grade so its hard to say. I also think its slightly brittle. All the GA in this auction came from the same collection and a lot of the books had poor PQ.

Thanks for the info.   Tec 24 is one of my favorites and is tough in any shape. 

On 1/15/2019 at 2:15 PM, Dark Knight said:

I think the Tec #2 went for right around I thought the value should be

I watched live and was shocked at the final price of the #2. The #1 jumped up to over $30k almost immediately. I expecting the #2 to jump to around $18-20k immediately as well. Made me want to bid but I was there for a different book (which I didn't win doh!.)

17 hours ago, lou_fine said:

All told and once again if we assume no special deals are made which is the likely scenario for most consignors here, Heritage would receive $11,375 out of this sale or almost triple what CC and CL would have receive since they have no buyer's premium and only the standard 10% seller's premium.  No wonder why Heritage can have the huge staff and fancy catalogues which they send out gratis to all of their potential bidders.  hm

Hard to believe that anyone would consign books of this caliber to Heritage without negotiating a deal. Getting them to waive the SP would be the starting point for the negotiations. 

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Hard to believe that anyone would consign books of this caliber to Heritage without negotiating a deal. Getting them to waive the SP would be the starting point for the negotiations. 

I believe it really depends on the extent of your collection and the overall estimated value of it.

If you only have 1 or 2 of these books (not talking about Action 1 or 'Tec 27 in this case) I seriously don't think you are going to get much of a discount (if any) from Heritage. If Heritage waives the fees the way some of you seem to think think here (i.e. for almost everything), it makes it sound like they are only charging the consignor 15% all in by the time it's all said and done which is something I don't really believe.  Now, if you was John Veryzl's estate, Jon Berk, Bedrock, and the likes who have signed a contract to consign all of your collection through Heritage, I can definitely believe this 15% figure that seems to be thrown around here.  For the rest of us poor smucks out here, not so much.  hm

I was talking to somebody here who had consigned a whole bunch of Vancouver pedigree books to Heritage a few years back.  I asked him what his fees were and if he managed to get back a portion of the buyers premium which seems to be the going theory on these boards here.  He simply stated that he only had to pay the seller's premium and the buyer's premium had absolutely nothing at all to do with him since it was paid entirely by the buyer.  No matter how I tried to explain that he was in fact indirectly also paying for the buyer's premium out of the final realized auction price, he simply could not understand that.  Bottom-line:  I bet you he ended up paying the full shot for the 19.5% buyer's premium along with probably the entire seller's premium whatever that turned out to be.  

Since most of us seems to be buyers here, has anybody here ever actually consigned some book to Heritage and can tell us what kind of fees they had to actually pay?  ???

Edited by lou_fine

11 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:
20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I believe it really depends on the extent of your collection and the overall estimated value of it.

If you only have 1 or 2 of these books (not talking about Action 1 or 'Tec 27 in this case) I seriously don't think you are going to get much of a discount (if any) from Heritage. If Heritage waives the fees the way some of you seem to think think here (i.e. for almost everything), it makes it sound like they are only charging the consignor 15% all in by the time it's all said and done which is something I don't really believe.  Now, if you was John Veryzl's estate, Jon Berk, Bedrock, and the likes who have signed a contract to consign all of your collection through Heritage, I can definitely believe this 15% figure that seems to be thrown around here.  For the rest of us poor smucks out here, not so much.  hm

I was talking to somebody here who had consigned a whole bunch of Vancouver pedigree books to Heritage a few years back.  I asked him what his fees were and if he managed to get back a portion of the buyers premium which seems to be the going theory on these boards here.  He simply stated that he only had to pay the seller's premium and the buyer's premium had absolutely nothing at all to do with him since it was paid entirely by the buyer.  No matter how I tried to explain that he was in fact indirectly also paying for the buyer's premium out of the final realized auction price, he simply could not understand that.  Bottom-line:  I bet you he ended up paying the full shot for the 19.5% buyer's premium along with probably the entire seller's premium whatever that turned out to be.  

Since most of us seems to be buyers here, has anybody here ever actually consigned some book to Heritage and can tell us what kind of fees they had to actually pay?  ???

I can maybe shed some light on this.  I've consigned twice with Heritage, this one I am presenting was the 1st time I consigned with them, still trying to locate my most recent auction settlement. Again, this is a case by case basis.  I'm sure elite consignors get a better % rate.  But anyways, about 16% was deducted for seller's fees with 0% buyer's fees that I negotiated with at that time.  

6 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I can maybe shed some light on this.  I've consigned twice with Heritage, this one I am presenting was the 1st time I consigned with them, still trying to locate my most recent auction settlement. Again, this is a case by case basis.  I'm sure elite consignors get a better % rate.  But anyways, about 16% was deducted for seller's fees with 0% buyer's fees that I negotiated with at that time.  

That's perfect and good to know.  :applause:

So, from this it sounds as though Heritage gave you back the entire 19.5% or 20% buyer's premium which they had received from the buyer.  Was the 16% based upon the hammer price or the final end realized auction price?  Do you remember what the approximate value of your consignment was at the time or the type of books involved?  hm

I contacted "the big" auction house last week, and spoke with Comic Book consignor.  For my book that I mentioned, 25-30K$ book, he would waive any sellers fee.  I inquired about getting some of the buyers premium if I submitted more value for auction.  For 50K$ value, he would give me 5 % of the buyers premium.  So, full hammer plus 5% to me, and then charge buyer hammer plus 20%.  That may be policy, or maybe not.  But it was offered without any further negotiating on my part.

Edited by Chief1332
entered wrong percentage