• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An Open Letter to All Convention Organizers

3 posts in this topic

(Not sure if this is the place to post this, but Comics General didn't really seem like a good idea. This is something that I've been thinking about for a while.)

Dear Convention Organizer,

Thanks so much for bringing a fun comic book show to the area. As someone who promoted a show (and lost a good chunk of change doing so), I know how much time, energy, and money it takes to do this. But as more and more shows are popping up, and fewer and fewer comic fans out there, I hope that this message will help you put on a better show, get higher attendance, and make attendees and exhibitors happy.

Get better at overall communication. Answer your emails. You're a business. I don't need to see a reply in 2 minutes, but it shouldn't be days before you get back to me about simple questions on pricing, availability, payment, timing, etc. 

Get better at pre-show communication. A couple of days before the show, send out an email with all the relevant information. When can we start setting up? When are people allowed to come in? Are there early birds? Where do I bring my stuff in? Where do I park? It's no fun to show up too early/too late/wrong entrance. This goes doubly for people wanting to come to your show. Reply to those Facebook questions. Answer those calls and emails.

Rethink the multi-day show. Do you really need a two- or three-day convention when a one-day show will do just as well? The added costs for setting up multiple days almost always outweigh the benefits unless you're planning on getting thousands and thousands of people through the door. Am I going to make double the money of a one-day event, because my costs are twice as much.

Don't rely on dealers to promote your convention. I am more than happy to post the shows I'm attending or setting up at on Facebook or other social medial, message boards, and whatnot. I want my regular customers to know where I'm going to be. But getting people to the event is primarily your job, not mine. Mine is to have quality, well-priced material for the attendees to buy. You need to have a working website that doesn't look like it's from 1997, updated information (including guests lists, prices, directions, etc), speak with local shops and leave flyers, and do your own social media posting.

Get rid of unfair competition. If you're setting up or if you deal in comics, too, don't stop potential sellers from coming into the room so you have a monopoly on purchasing collections/comics. It doesn't happen as often as it used to, but let the market decide what they're willing to pay this dude for his old comics.

Ask me about the next show. If I've done your con two times in a row, ask me if I want to do it again right away. If so, I will likely pay you then and there, and I'd like to get my pick of location in the room (if it's not already taken). I don't want to wait until I come across the listing randomly and miss doing it because you sold out. 

Announce your dates as soon as you finalize an event. I've scheduled shows through May already, and I suspect I'll be booking dates through the summer pretty soon. If you don't give me a heads up, I may already have a commitment for that Sunday. And if I've already set something up, don't you think that attendees have too?

Don't charge me more for using Paypal to pay for my tables. Paypal fees stink. Nobody wants to pay them. But they're a part of business, and it's something you need to take into consideration. If you don't want to take Paypal, that's fine. But don't penalize me for taking you up on a payment option.

My table fees shouldn't subsidize your crummy 80s TV "star" appearance. Gil Gerard will bring some people to your convention, because who doesn't want to be next to the man who smooched Erin Gray. But those same people aren't really buying comic books. His fees are high, and you're asking me to pay for them without any real benefit to me. Pop culture conventions are great, but your tiny regional show doesn't need the Green Power Ranger. 

Other than that, I have no complaints! Keep up the good work and I'll see you one of these Sundays!

Sincerely,

RCheli
RC Comics

I would recommend that the comicon organizer also update their website with pics from their latest con showing the layout, variety of vendors of Pop Culture, and their happy fans/collectors. In some cities that have 3 or 4 different comicon organizers (not counting weekend :whistle: flea markets or monthly antique shows), I notice some 1 day shows are taking place on Sat. rather than Sunday, as the calendar is too crowded.

23 hours ago, RCheli said:

(Not sure if this is the place to post this, but Comics General didn't really seem like a good idea. This is something that I've been thinking about for a while.)

Dear Convention Organizer,

Thanks so much for bringing a fun comic book show to the area. As someone who promoted a show (and lost a good chunk of change doing so), I know how much time, energy, and money it takes to do this. But as more and more shows are popping up, and fewer and fewer comic fans out there, I hope that this message will help you put on a better show, get higher attendance, and make attendees and exhibitors happy.

Get better at overall communication. Answer your emails. You're a business. I don't need to see a reply in 2 minutes, but it shouldn't be days before you get back to me about simple questions on pricing, availability, payment, timing, etc. 

Get better at pre-show communication. A couple of days before the show, send out an email with all the relevant information. When can we start setting up? When are people allowed to come in? Are there early birds? Where do I bring my stuff in? Where do I park? It's no fun to show up too early/too late/wrong entrance. This goes doubly for people wanting to come to your show. Reply to those Facebook questions. Answer those calls and emails.

Rethink the multi-day show. Do you really need a two- or three-day convention when a one-day show will do just as well? The added costs for setting up multiple days almost always outweigh the benefits unless you're planning on getting thousands and thousands of people through the door. Am I going to make double the money of a one-day event, because my costs are twice as much.

Don't rely on dealers to promote your convention. I am more than happy to post the shows I'm attending or setting up at on Facebook or other social medial, message boards, and whatnot. I want my regular customers to know where I'm going to be. But getting people to the event is primarily your job, not mine. Mine is to have quality, well-priced material for the attendees to buy. You need to have a working website that doesn't look like it's from 1997, updated information (including guests lists, prices, directions, etc), speak with local shops and leave flyers, and do your own social media posting.

Get rid of unfair competition. If you're setting up or if you deal in comics, too, don't stop potential sellers from coming into the room so you have a monopoly on purchasing collections/comics. It doesn't happen as often as it used to, but let the market decide what they're willing to pay this dude for his old comics.

Ask me about the next show. If I've done your con two times in a row, ask me if I want to do it again right away. If so, I will likely pay you then and there, and I'd like to get my pick of location in the room (if it's not already taken). I don't want to wait until I come across the listing randomly and miss doing it because you sold out. 

Announce your dates as soon as you finalize an event. I've scheduled shows through May already, and I suspect I'll be booking dates through the summer pretty soon. If you don't give me a heads up, I may already have a commitment for that Sunday. And if I've already set something up, don't you think that attendees have too?

Don't charge me more for using Paypal to pay for my tables. Paypal fees stink. Nobody wants to pay them. But they're a part of business, and it's something you need to take into consideration. If you don't want to take Paypal, that's fine. But don't penalize me for taking you up on a payment option.

My table fees shouldn't subsidize your crummy 80s TV "star" appearance. Gil Gerard will bring some people to your convention, because who doesn't want to be next to the man who smooched Erin Gray. But those same people aren't really buying comic books. His fees are high, and you're asking me to pay for them without any real benefit to me. Pop culture conventions are great, but your tiny regional show doesn't need the Green Power Ranger. 

Other than that, I have no complaints! Keep up the good work and I'll see you one of these Sundays!

Sincerely,

RCheli
RC Comics

I could have Gil Gerard as a guest?  Really? If you can get him for me, I will put your table right next to his!