• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where's all the GI Joe art? (#1-50)

60 posts in this topic

25 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

Not much out there and it seems like not much has been moving in the past couple years. One of you guys sitting on a stock pile?

Paging @comiconxion 

Chuck is the world’s leading expert on Joe art. He schooled me on this exact topic at the L.A. Ultimate show. I’ll let him chime in on the details, but to whet your curiosity, much was given away. 

I'm not an expert on GI Joe art, but I've seen a few covers on the market the past 10 years from 1-50 (a few I REALLY regret not buying!).

As popular as GI Joe is, you'd think more art would be trading hands publicly. 

I see 13 pages of #2 sold through Heritage, but the description talks about mold & extensive water damage.  14 pages of #5 sold also referring to mold damage in the item description. I wonder if that was isolated to these pages or if other art got damaged or destroyed.

Seeing as how 80's art (even GI Joe) was considered low value art for so long , I'd bet many issues were initially sold in lots & may have not have been split up. The entire story to #21 is still intact as well.

8 minutes ago, Timely said:

I'm not an expert on GI Joe art, but I've seen a few covers on the market the past 10 years from 1-50 (a few I REALLY regret not buying!).

As popular as GI Joe is, you'd think more art would be trading hands publicly. 

I see 13 pages of #2 sold through Heritage, but the description talks about mold & extensive water damage.  14 pages of #5 sold also referring to mold damage in the item description. I wonder if that was isolated to these pages or if other art got damaged or destroyed.

Seeing as how 80's art (even GI Joe) was considered low value art for so long , I'd bet many issues were initially sold in lots & may have not have been split up. The entire story to #21 is still intact as well.

The corner box which was used for the first 100 issues of the comic is up in CAF.

9EK6KEDY_020318115144lola.jpg

16 minutes ago, Timely said:

I see 13 pages of #2 sold through Heritage, but the description talks about mold & extensive water damage. 

If I knew then (when the #2 pages were sold at HA) that the mold & water damage was largely repairable, I'd be the owner of that art today, as I was aware of the auction while Chuck was not (as he later informed me).  I just kept thinking about the "strong mold smell" in the lot description and how I didn't want that anywhere near my other art.  Alas, years on, we now know that there's very little that isn't fixable when it comes to OA restoration and conservation! doh!

Edited by delekkerste

51 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

If I knew then (when the #2 pages were sold at HA) that the mold & water damage was largely repairable, I'd be the owner of that art today, as I was aware of the auction while Chuck was not (as he later informed me).  I just kept thinking about the "strong mold smell" in the lot description and how I didn't want that anywhere near my other art.  Alas, years on, we now know that there's very little that isn't fixable when it comes to OA restoration and conservation! doh!

Do you still have all of Issue 21?

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

To lazy to search through HA, do you remember what those #2 pages sold for?

Looking for the #38 cover if anyone is sitting on it. 

Based on my buttquote system (patent pending) and absolutely zero research (less than zero if that's possible), I'd say around 2000 - 2500 for an average panel page.

Now, what's in everyone else's butt?

2 hours ago, PGEAR12 said:

What would pre-10 pages roughly go for these days? Any one willing to speculate?

The interesting thing about both GI Joe and Transformers is that the first 30 or so issues are going to almost guarantee a first appearance. 

On 1/7/2019 at 4:03 PM, Blastaar said:

To lazy to search through HA, do you remember what those #2 pages sold for?

Looking for the #38 cover if anyone is sitting on it. 

GI JOE: ARAH #32 is a grail of mine That popped up at auction this past fall. Not a price I could afford. Sadly, it’s up for trade bait now. Never know when yours pops up, just be ready for it. 

18 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

When the thread was started, I wanted to say “I know where 21 is”.  Wasn’t sure if that broke Oligarch Protocol.

Naw. Gene talked about owning it on one of Felix's podcasts. So I assumed he was OK with it being public knowledge.

47 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Naw. Gene talked about owning it on one of Felix's podcasts. So I assumed he was OK with it being public knowledge.

Gene has a group photo of the interior pages posted on CAF, so it’s no secret. When he got his 11x17 scanner he said he’d scan each individual page and post them. Still waiting for that :baiting: :angel: