• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where's all the GI Joe art? (#1-50)

60 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

Has Hama ever approached you about it? Is there anything he might have access to that you might consider trading for? 

No and no. 

I bought the art from him in 2003. 

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

No and no. 

I bought the art from him in 2003. 

It's really interesting when you think about the art that some artists still have that has been held on to for decades. They could have sold it all in the 70's or 80s but held on to it where now if they want to sell they'd might be able to make more selling a single complete story than what their yearly salary at the big two was.

9 hours ago, PGEAR12 said:

What would pre-10 pages roughly go for these days? Any one willing to speculate?

After selling through Heritage, I remember a few pages from issue #5 were later sent to Comiclink in 2016.  If memory serves, a page with no main characters sold around $600 and a nicer page (maybe page #3?) sold around $1,600.  

10 minutes ago, Mickey7 said:

After selling through Heritage, I remember a few pages from issue #5 were later sent to Comiclink in 2016.  If memory serves, a page with no main characters sold around $600 and a nicer page (maybe page #3?) sold around $1,600.  

Any way to access that data? 

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Nearly 10 years ago, I sold two covers along with a half dozen pages illustrated by Marshall  Rogers.

Within the past few months , the fella selling artwork on behalf of Marshall’s sister, Suzanne, has sold approximately 10 pages.  I believe those were priced at $400 each

Some were quite a bit more. I bought some of the better ones.

When I saw Mike Zeck a few years ago at a local con he had a GI Joe cover that was for sale in his art portfolio. Can't remember which one or the price but it was somewhere around 7k-10k USD I believe. Was well out of my price range is all I remember. You can try contacting him and see if he still has it. 

I have a bunch a GI Joe and The Transformers #1 pages I got from Herb Trimpe before he passed.

Joes Transformers 1 PG21.jpg

Joes Transformers 1 PG24.jpg

Joes Transformers 1 PG8 (1).jpg

Joes Transformers 1 PG12 (1).jpg

Joes Transformers 1 PG9 (2).jpg

1 hour ago, fsumavila said:

I recall seeing Becharra having a very early Marvel GI Joe cover at his booth at a Con in the past year or so. Believe it was issue #2.

I'd be shocked if it was #2. That would have been a pretty big deal if it had turned up. 

Edited by delekkerste

Not sure on #2, but I know going back around 8 years i remember seeing Bechara with the cover to #3 (giant robot cover).  Though #3 is now in someone's CAF gallery.  Would be nice to see #2 if Bechara has it.

On 1/9/2019 at 3:18 PM, Mickey7 said:

Has anyone ever come across the cover art to issue #10 or #11?  Either of those would be a grail for me, as they were the first comics I remember buying off the stands. 

IIRC Bechara had the cover to 10 at NYCC, probably 2011 or 2012.