• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where's all the GI Joe art? (#1-50)

60 posts in this topic

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 12:32 PM, Mickey7 said:

Wow, thank you for the info on the #10 cover!  I'll contact Bechara to see if he still has it.  Even if nothing comes of it, it is still great news to hear that the cover exists.   (thumbsu

Bechara had the #3 & #5 - both from Bob Hall.  As far as I know, none of Mike Vosburg's (including the #10) have ever surfaced within the last 25 years.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 3:30 AM, Mickey7 said:

Not sure on #2, but I know going back around 8 years i remember seeing Bechara with the cover to #3 (giant robot cover).  Though #3 is now in someone's CAF gallery.  Would be nice to see #2 if Bechara has it.

The #2 cover was owned by the Donnelly's many years ago (who bought it directly from Trimpe), but then it was sold to a private collector who has yet to want to share it more broadly.  If IDW ever decides that they want to print a G.I. Joe Artists Edition, it will be printed there (it was solicited as the cover), but there hasn't been any new news on that front.  

9 hours ago, wolvergeek said:

The GI Joe art collection has arrived!

I'm going to need this weekend to go through what I want to keep and what I will sell.

Here is a sample pic:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4b

IMG_3042.PNG

I can't wait to see those pages and what you decide to sell.

Looks like someone has an original cover. I saw this collector on Sideshow's weekly collector feature.

https://www.sideshow.com/blog/sideshow-featured-collector-jason-nicholson/

1 hour ago, GeneticNinja said:

I can't wait to see those pages and what you decide to sell.

Looks like someone has an original cover. I saw this collector on Sideshow's weekly collector feature.

https://www.sideshow.com/blog/sideshow-featured-collector-jason-nicholson/

You can find that cover posted on CAF for a closer look. 

I have scanned in 12 published pages and 2 sketches from the collection to CAF. I am going to scan in a bunch more tonight and this weekend. 

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=196403&Order=Title

If it says NFS then I am not selling it unless it is a really, really good offer. I will eventually be pricing out the others but will consider any offers until then. Just send me a PM. If you really want a page this is the way to go to get it before I start posting prices.

Thanks

Paul (Wolvergeek)

Edited by wolvergeek

On 2/28/2019 at 11:46 PM, Jay Olie Espy said:

You can find that cover posted on CAF for a closer look. 

Thanks. I should check out CAF more often.

On 3/1/2019 at 10:32 AM, wolvergeek said:

I have scanned in 12 published pages and 2 sketches from the collection to CAF. I am going to scan in a bunch more tonight and this weekend. 

If it says NFS then I am not selling it unless it is a really, really good offer. I will eventually be pricing out the others but will consider any offers until then. Just send me a PM. If you really want a page this is the way to go to get it before I start posting prices.

Thanks

Paul (Wolvergeek)

I see you posted a bunch more than 12. You really hit a treasure of G.I. Joe pages.

Last I saw, I believe Albert Moy had the cover for GI Joe 37.

I only have 9 pages from the main 1-155 series and 1 page from GI Joe vs Transformers. When a few pages became available last fall I wish I had picked a couple up in retrospect but other things were commanding my attention.   The pages turn up from time to time.  I believe that the pages are outside the normal collecting rules as the artwork is not as much artist driven but more character driven.  

On 3/1/2019 at 11:32 AM, wolvergeek said:

Thanks

Paul (Wolvergeek)

:shy: Andrew (from the FB Joe group) 

Also I just put two and two together. Howie was one of the first guys to get me interested in pursuing artwork.  I had purchased my half splash from 155 from him back in 2015. As a guy that was just getting into collecting art I remember him as patient with a newbie and simply an all around nice guy to work with. I had heard so many scare stories of dealing with guys within buying pages that I did not know if I wanted to step into the pool.  Howie sold me my first (what I considered then) 'big' page. It is one of the many reasons I feature that page in my gallery. 

Edited by Buzzetta

47 minutes ago, wolvergeek said:

Gone!

Did you buy it? It doesn’t show up under his sold listings. 

That’s a nice page from #32 that you have. 

I’m sorry about the loss of your friend, and at an early age too. The grief must be hard on his friends and family. 

11 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Did you buy it? It doesn’t show up under his sold listings. 

That’s a nice page from #32 that you have. 

I’m sorry about the loss of your friend, and at an early age too. The grief must be hard on his friends and family. 

No I didn't buy it. Maybe he sold it off Ebay. Thanks for the kind words. He had a a lot of friends in the online community.

This is my sole pick up from L.A. Comic Art Show. I knew Bechara had it from the first Ultimate Art Show as well as a Frank Springer page from #30, just kept that info to myself during this thread bwahahaha 😒 The Spinger page, my first choice, was sold. Kicking myself for not picking it up then. Since then, “early” Joe art (depends on how you define “early”) has been going for healthy prices, so I’m glad to have picked up this example. 

The original owner of this page was our very own Chuck Costas aka comicconxion. I talked to him about Joe art at the show and he says that early stuff was snatched up quick due to GI Joe’s immense popularity at release and really hasn’t been seen since. 

487A5968-88D1-4E04-A145-9285190D4424.jpeg

Yes, nice pick-up... those first 30 issues are especially rare.   

- The Trimpes are the scarcest as Herb sold all his pages to the Donnelly's back in the 80's.  Some of those were sold through the Comic Book Price Guide back then - I think $10 or $15.

- The Vosburgs are the next scarcest as Mike gave many of his pages away to kids at shows back in the 80's, and as he explained it to me, he expected that many of them ended up tacked to their bedroom walls ad didn't expect many of them to still be around.  

- The Springers are a little easier.  Frank sold most of his pages before he passed away - some went to a dealer overseas and some to a dealer in Canada.  Howie had some in his collection.  With the 2nd part of the Origin of Snake Eyes, pages from #27 are highly prized!

Pages from #20 (Isherwood) may be the most common because I ended up selling or trading most of those over the last few years to dealers and collectors.  I had gotten them from Geof many years ago.

Anyway, a Vosburg page is a great pickup... and best of luck to all those others out there searching for their ultimate Joe art piece!