• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anything and everything Dark Horse
8 8

795 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, ft88 said:

These seem to be pretty Hot on ebay.

img853.jpg.de346bfba9c305595ffd3bb34264d3ed.jpg

img881.jpg.9fc459bb1618325aba70856aa052e2a2.jpg

img882.jpg.ddf81f863dd9421a5c7d8396a08c5e4b.jpg

img883.jpg.5a9a7bde5669041545e59db36f3f7bb3.jpg

All of the Dark Horse The Thing books (The Thing From Another World, Climate of Fear, Eternal Vows) are easy sales, and can hit good prices. The bonus is you'll often find them in dollar bins. I'm a huge fan of the Carpenter film (and I like the original Hawks movie as well) so I got my sets a loooong time ago, but it seems like with every passing year, the cult of Thing fans grows, and there's not much in the way of merch out there to buy. So the prices on the existing stuff continue to inch upward. 

Really, most horror film related comics from this era are worth taking a chance if you find them cheap enough. Horror collectors are another breed, and will pay top dollar for the stuff they want, that most comic fans wouldn't care about at all. I should know, I'm one of 'em!

On 11/6/2020 at 8:40 PM, Sam 1983 said:

Ba Boom!!!

finally got all these in 9.8.  

7DC098F9-8B8A-48D6-A0F4-A7E1818DA162.jpeg

Congrats! Man, I'm glad I got my Aliens 1-6 9.8s a few years ago, it's insane what these books are going for now. An Aliens 1 9.8 closed around $1600 last week. That's nuts. 

8 minutes ago, Sam 1983 said:

1650.   Followed immediately by a sale of 1750

I always said I'd never sell my set. But if prices keep going up...well, never say never, I guess!

What's most interesting to me about these prices is that they seem to be spurred on only by the fact that Marvel has acquired these licenses, and is probably going to do something with them at some point. But nothing has really HAPPENED, you know? They've got some Aliens variant covers coming out in January, and are collecting the DH material in Omnibus format. And...that's all so far. But suddenly everyone is losing their minds. It's not like these books haven't been sitting around for 30 years. Dark Horse has been publishing Aliens comics since 1988, and I doubt any of the series published in the last 20 years (say, anything after Aliens vs Predator) has cracked the Top 100 in sales. Sure, there's a devoted fanbase of folks like me who eagerly buy the stuff up, but for the most part, Aliens comic fandom is a niche within a niche within a niche. 

Not only is there no new movie on the horizon, there hasn't been a successful (in relation to cost) Alien picture since Aliens in 1986. Every single sequel and spin off (AvP, Prometheus) since then has underperformed relative to their production budget. Covenant was an outright bomb. One assumes that maybe Disney will do something with the license at some point, but as of right now, there's nothing happening.

It's just odd to see Aliens become the flavor of the month, and these prices are getting kind of wild if it's all just speculation on what Marvel might do with the property. Not complaining, I've got mine, just very surprised by what is going on. I don't really worry about the money, I'm more concerned about what Marvel will do to water down the property even further. I expect we'll see more dumb crossovers, like DH did with other companies for many years, but I'm hoping we still get some R-rated, adult-directed Aliens stories and series, as that's what the films were all about. I'm of the unpopular opinion that crossing the property over with Predator was the worst thing that ever happened to Aliens, turning it into another dumb monster mash series, ala Godzilla vs King Kong, but there are apparently a lot of fans of that stuff. So I have zero interest in Aliens vs X-Men or whatever it is they're going to inevitably end up doing, but of course, as an Alien fan, I'll buy it, because I'm a sucker!

Agree with everything said.    I’m 37.   Just don’t sleep on the fact that all coppers are on fire, IMO mostly due to the 30-40 year effect.   GI Joe, He Man, TMNT, Aliens and Predator.    Basically, for most people, in their mid to late 30’s, begin to make a little money.   Ultimately, most will be interested in buying nostalgic books related to their childhood.   

9 hours ago, IkewithMike said:

I've got 3 Aliens 1 9.6 that I picked up because they were dirt cheap, guess that'll pay off.....

I really should have held onto my under-copies when I finally got my 9.8. I had a 9.4 and a 9.6. I think I got about $60 for the 9.4, and I want to say I basically have the 9.4 away. doh!

3 hours ago, Sam 1983 said:

Agree with everything said.    I’m 37.   Just don’t sleep on the fact that all coppers are on fire, IMO mostly due to the 30-40 year effect.   GI Joe, He Man, TMNT, Aliens and Predator.    Basically, for most people, in their mid to late 30’s, begin to make a little money.   Ultimately, most will be interested in buying nostalgic books related to their childhood.   

It's true, basically EVERYTHING is on fire these days ha What a time to be a seller! I should have bought more back when all of this stuff was cheap. It's just surprising, as a life-long Alien collector, to see the property suddenly gaining interest, when it was cold cold cold for so long. Strange days indeed!

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I really should have held onto my under-copies when I finally got my 9.8. I had a 9.4 and a 9.6. I think I got about $60 for the 9.4, and I want to say I basically have the 9.4 away. doh!

It took me awhile to get a 9.8 as well, so whenever I saw a 9.6 for $40 I just went ahead and bought them, seeing if they could use a press or not. 

Ended up they are all average 9.6s but hey, I'll probably make a few bucks for the first time lol