• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I Was Looking at a CBM from 1998...
1 1

31 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

That's good to know.  (thumbsu

With what is happening, it's definitely hard to do the latter without doing the former, although you could always go for a pre-screen.  hm

Either way, best of luck to you with respect to your grading results.  :wishluck:

Wow wow wow.  Thank you lou_fine. I didn’t know any of this.  Although I joined CGC in 2005, I didn’t make my first post until 2018.  I never read the boards because they confused me.  The collector bug grew strong, and so now I’m here.  Thanks again lou_fine.  I can see there are still deep divisions over this issue within the collecting community, so let’s maybe talk about something else . . .

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

That's good to know.  (thumbsu

With what is happening, it's definitely hard to do the latter without doing the former, although you could always go for a pre-screen.  hm

Either way, best of luck to you with respect to your grading results.  :wishluck:

I have a book that would benefit. The seller refunded enough to get the press, etc. As I thought the book would get up to the advertised grade with a press as the flaws not visible in the scans were pressable. Minor key and such. For the collection, although that won't stop me from putting it in the ebay store for $200 more than it is worth. Book does not show up much over 7.0.

Edited by the blob

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Of course it was. :gossip:

Weren't you around for that wild and raucous, but fun times (well, probably not for the CGC boys lol) back around 2005 or thereabouts when the whole pressing fiasco first came to light on these boards here.  Let's see, if you joined in October of 2005, you might have just missed all of the fun as there were multiple threads that covered this, with some for well over a hundred pages on this controversy before the Mods were able to "macro trim" :wink:  them back. 

Definitely a game changer with the big boys at Metro apparently not even aware of this undisclosed practice in the beginning.  Even Overstreet had to go back into his Glossary and revise his definition for "restoration" to take into account what CGC had been uncommunicatively doing from the get go.  A real eye opener to the collecting base as board members here were finally able to figure out that pressing no longer fell under the long held historical umbrella definition of restoration, but was now being spun by Borock and CGC as something called "maximization of potential".  O.o

Even before that controversy died out came the Church copy of Boy Comics #17 a few weeks later.  Courtesy of before and after scans provided by board members like Masterchief, Danny boy  (i.e. Comic-Keys), Red Hook, etc. we saw how a CGC 4.0 graded book could turn into a CGC 7.5 graded copy and then finally into a CGC 9.0 graded copy, all while residing in an unrestored blue label slab. :whatthe:   After several controversial and heated days of angst on the boards here, word or spin finally came back down from the mountaintop that "disassembly and reassembly of a comic book in and of itself does not constitute restoration".  O.o  O.o

Courtesy of Masterchief and a few others who are probably no longer welcome here, we soon discovered with many more before and after scans of the exact same books that what we were seeing was really nothing more than just the tip of a huge iceberg.  Needless to say, the barn doors were opened wide after that with an explosion of pressing ads as everybody was scrambling to squish squash their books into oblivion like there was no tomorrow.  :whee:

This whole pressing issue would not have erupted into such a big controversy if CGC had been upfront about the whole thing and proactively informed the collecting base about these significant changes to the definition of restoration before they first opened their doors.  Being the smart businessmen they are and with prior experience in other collecting fields, no doubt the owners at CCG knew that the collecting base would never had accepted changes of this magnitude in the first place.  The smart play was to quietly and secretly sneak it in through the back door while nobody was looking, get the party going and then turn on the money machine once everybody found out because nobody would want to leave the party after that.  hm   :flipbait:

Manufactured gold.  

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Even before that controversy died out came the Church copy of Boy Comics #17 a few weeks later.  Courtesy of before and after scans provided by board members like Masterchief,

One of my favorite Boardies. 

3 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Yes.

IMG_2291.JPG

I guess the restored books I used to own had so much other work done on them that CGC didn't bother mentioning the pressing, no room on the lable

14 hours ago, oldrover said:
On 1/9/2019 at 6:50 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Yes.

IMG_2291.JPG

LOL... I own this book. And I submitted it to CCS for review this past fall. They recommended regrading to get a Conserved label. Which I did, and it’s now a 9.4 Conserved. Ironic. :)

Was this a "wet cleaning" job like one of those that Mark Wilson did on virtually all of his books since he did not considered that type of work to be restoration?  hm

I thought "wet cleaning" was still considered to fall under the restoration umbrella under CGC's new Restoration Grading System.  Of course, I haven't really followed all of the changes made there, but if this type of work is now considered as falling under the Conservation umbrella, that is certainly good to know.  (thumbsu 

On 1/8/2019 at 10:44 PM, the blob said:
On 1/8/2019 at 10:33 PM, lou_fine said:

Seriously, are the two of you trying to get me booted off these boards here with your postings?  lol

Nobody has a gun to your head and is forcing you to type. 

Yes, I really must try to get better control of my loosey goosey fingers as they seem to have a mind of their own sometimes.  :devil:

If you are planning to get some books graded though, it's always advisable to peek behind the kimono to try to figure out how the game is really being played.  After all, you wouldn't want to have your books end up being the casualty of some punishment grading.  Especially when others in the know can play the game according to the unwritten rules and be the beneficiary of having their grades maximized to their full potential.  :preach:

On 1/9/2019 at 7:36 AM, BlowUpTheMoon said:
On 1/8/2019 at 10:20 PM, lou_fine said:

Masterchief,

One of my favorite Boardies. 

On 1/9/2019 at 7:01 AM, comicdonna said:

Manufactured gold.  

Yes indeed, who could forget the all-time classic, but highly controversial Manufactured Gold thread that was started up by Masterchief himself.  :devil:

This one should really be pinned to the top of the boards here since it basically presented a deep dive analysis of what was really going on behind the scenes when virtually all of us here were still lost in our sweet and innocent dreams of wine and roses when it came to our graded books.  Totally understandable that it is not though since it definitely did not shine the best light on our hosts here and it is their boards after all.  And actually, kudos to CGC here who was surprisingly gracious enough to let the thread run for as long as it did (and it was for a long time for almost countless pages) before they finally decided to shut it down.  :applause:

Masterchief was shall we say, a master :wink:  at presenting side by side detailed graphic analysis of books being maximized to their full potential such as CGC 6.5 graded copies being turned into CGC 9.0 graded copies, CGC 8.5 copies being turned into CGC 9.4 graded copies, etc.  Definitely a shocker to virtually all of us here at the time which resulted in a lot of controversial and heated discussion on the boards here with members taking opposing sides rather quickly.  Sad to see a few leave the hobby or drastically curtail their collecting as a result of this whole issue, while a huge majority saw this for the massive opportunity that was presented to them and acted accordingly which was to be expected.  (shrug)

Fast forward to today and how many of us would actually even consider sending a book in strictly for grading only and absolutely nothing else?  hm

23 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yes indeed, who could forget the all-time classic, but highly controversial Manufactured Gold thread that was started up by Masterchief himself.  :devil:

This one should really be pinned to the top of the boards here since it basically presented a deep dive analysis of what was really going on behind the scenes when virtually all of us here were still lost in our sweet and innocent dreams of wine and roses when it came to our graded books.  Totally understandable that it is not though since it definitely did not shine the best light on our hosts here and it is their boards after all.  And actually, kudos to CGC here who was surprisingly gracious enough to let the thread run for as long as it did (and it was for a long time for almost countless pages) before they finally decided to shut it down.  :applause:

Masterchief was shall we say, a master :wink:  at presenting side by side detailed graphic analysis of books being maximized to their full potential such as CGC 6.5 graded copies being turned into CGC 9.0 graded copies, CGC 8.5 copies being turned into CGC 9.4 graded copies, etc.  Definitely a shocker to virtually all of us here at the time which resulted in a lot of controversial and heated discussion on the boards here with members taking opposing sides rather quickly.  Sad to see a few leave the hobby or drastically curtail their collecting as a result of this whole issue, while a huge majority saw this for the massive opportunity that was presented to them and acted accordingly which was to be expected.  (shrug)

Fast forward to today and how many of us would actually even consider sending a book in strictly for grading only and absolutely nothing else?  hm

Well, there are plenty of unimprovable defects. Spine ticks and corner dingage and CB creases are usually what knock high grade books down.