• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Older CGC Red Labels

27 posts in this topic

I wanted to get opinions on the resale of slabs with older red label versus the newer blue label.  

If two books were identical in every way including grade (except one red label and other blue) would one book tend to be more desirable than the other?

Would resubmission of a red label slab make sense?  How common is it for resubmission to result in a better grade due to differences it the strictness of grading on low grade books.

This is the book I am considering for resubmission.  Note the 20 cent price written over the UPC code.

Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

81683706-0888-4EAC-8916-B4E884AA8351.jpeg

Edited by icp004

the only real benefit of resubbing a red label book is that there's a pretty good chance of an upgrade in PQ.  i've heard apocryphal stories that the lighting in the first, original facility wasn't really conducive to getting PQ correct.

i know of one lucky duck whose book went from Light tan to off-white, but he's a great guy who should have only good things happen to him so ymmv

if you take it out of the bag, it would help us see the slab better

part of me thinks the red label adds to the value-- since you know the book has probably not been pressed or cleaned

if you were to resubmit it, a clean and press might not be a bad idea either.

Edited by 01TheDude

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

if you take it out of the bag, it would help us see the slab better

part of me thinks the red label adds to the value-- since you know the book has probably not been pressed or cleaned

if you were to resubmit it, a clean and press might not be a bad idea either.

Here are pics after removing the bag. 

14C724CD-AFCD-4604-8CD8-CC6A5C907286.jpeg

6A800B88-C24F-4222-AEE2-6E02CC06CB50.jpeg

Only about 8 copies of Star Wars #1 35-cent variant ever received the red CGC label.  If others have already been resubmitted, then even fewer exist.  I like them as a piece of early CGC history.  That didn't mean much when CGC was a couple of years old, but CGC is almost 20 years old now. It will be 30, 40, 50, etc., and "relics" from the first year-and-a-half won't ever multiply... they're disappearing.

July 1, 2001 census for Star Wars #1 (around the time the red label stopped): http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/title/:Star:Wars:/issue/1/comicyearend/1977/label/all/orderby/alphabetical/census/010701/

thanks for the better pictures.

The back cover might be cleanable to improve the grade. But in general, my guess is that it won't make that big of a difference.

I would leave this red label as is--- it is unique and possibly a case where the CGC case is making it more desirable from a CGC collector standpoint.

I've never held/seen in person an actual red label graded book. They seem neat regardless of what book is inside but being the SW 1 Price Variant makes it that much sweeter even if it is a low graded copy. If you are trying to sell it, leaving it in the current cases would give whoever buys it all the options to do what they would like.

Thanks to all who have responded so far.  You have brought up several good points that I had not considered. It is cool to find out that something already unique has something extra that sets it apart even more. 

In my opinion as a buyer - I would prefer a newer label.  If the CGC recommendation for reholder is followed (is it 7 years?), those red label books are overdue for a reslab.  This slightly increases my costs and risks as a buyer.

17 minutes ago, Donger said:

In my opinion as a buyer - I would prefer a newer label.  If the CGC recommendation for reholder is followed (is it 7 years?), those red label books are overdue for a reslab.  This slightly increases my costs and risks as a buyer.

CGC doesn't recommend that :foryou: 

Hm not sure where I got that 7 year window (my memory is shaky in old age); from the FAQ I stand corrected:

https://www.cgccomics.com/comic-grading/faq/

"Is it necessary to get my CGC book reholdered after a certain number of years?
No. The CGC holder is designed for long-term preservation and provides superior protection for your books. A properly handled and stored CGC-certified book can last for generations."

6 minutes ago, Donger said:

Hm not sure where I got that 7 year window (my memory is shaky in old age); from the FAQ I stand corrected:

No. The CGC holder is designed for long-term preservation and provides superior protection for your books. A properly handled and stored CGC-certified book can last for generations."

No Worries, I think that it was rumored for a while there, I remember hearing about it too, and maybe that is why CGC put it in the FAQS.... but thanks for looking it up :foryou: 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
2 hours ago, Donger said:

No Worries, I think that it was rumored for a while there, I remember hearing about it too, and maybe that is why CGC put it in the FAQS.... but thanks for looking it up :foryou: 

Early in CGC's history, it was stated (not necessarily by CGC, but it was commonly stated) that the microchamber paper inserted into the books might become "less effective" after 7 years, so there was a suggestion that changing the microchamber paper would be a good idea.  Of course, that would mean having a book completely reholdered (and also changing the label to the current label), but I haven't seen any discussion of the microchamber paper and 7 years in a while.