• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Older CGC Red Labels

27 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
3 hours ago, Donger said:

In my opinion as a buyer - I would prefer a newer label.  If the CGC recommendation for reholder is followed (is it 7 years?), those red label books are overdue for a reslab.  This slightly increases my costs and risks as a buyer.

CGC doesn't recommend that :foryou: 

I'm sure their accountant would.

5 minutes ago, 500Club said:
3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
3 hours ago, Donger said:

In my opinion as a buyer - I would prefer a newer label.  If the CGC recommendation for reholder is followed (is it 7 years?), those red label books are overdue for a reslab.  This slightly increases my costs and risks as a buyer.

CGC doesn't recommend that :foryou: 

I'm sure their accountant would.

as a newly certified bookkeeper myself, I don't doubt that one bit! lol :foryou: 

Looking back to the CGC Census for July 1, 2001, there were 29,243 books from 1975-2001 which had been graded "Modern/Universal".

Even if all 29,243 survived with their red labels, that would represent 1-in-100 CGC slabs (1975 to 2001) today and 1-in-143 CGC slabs overall.

Given that less than 1% of all CGC slabs can possibly have a red label from that first year-and-a-half, I'm a fan of leaving them alone. :foryou: 

There is precedent for early generation NGC and PCGS slabs being worth a premium, regardless of the value of the coin inside. 

There aren't many red labels to begin with. There are certainly fewer now than there were.

There are even fewer small number Sig Series labels. I still don't have one.

I like my slabs to be as uniform as possible, which means I prefer the blue.  Personally, I'm not crazy about the old labels whether they're red or blue.  This is one of the few I have, but I'm too cheap to have it reholdered.

RAD70C3D2012924_114811.jpg

Edited by Brian48