Famous Funnies / Heroic Comics
0

14 posts in this topic

19,504 posts
Posted (edited)

Are these all reprints? This seem to be pretty cheap for the most part, is that why there is a lack of interest? (The usually dopey covers do not help either.) Was pondering buying some.

Edited by the blob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,462 posts
Posted (edited)

While i'm not certain on the reprint angle, the Frazetta Buck Rogers issues of course are highly coveted. 

There are some nice covers other than those also, but the 'Humor' covers maybe what 'hampers' fevered competition overall.

(Some) humor Centaurs and DC's beat this 'jinx'

I will say, i think the Jon Berk auction has changed perception somewhat on owning these and other early humor/funnies style books, and a few do collect a nice amount of change now and then. 

One of two i own. I thought it was a cool cover with nice colors, and the fact that it's a Larson copy didn't hurt matters either :bigsmile:

Famous Funnies #83 (Larson copy)j.b.c..jpg

Edited by sagii

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,504 posts

Not talking about the Frazetta issues or even the WW II and earlier issues, but the post-war issues really where I see decent copies in the $15-$25 range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,733 posts

I don't collect these but I pulled up a few issues in between 1945 and the last issues which are the Frazetta covers on GCD.  A few I looked at were not indexed but the ones that were did not note any reprints.  

And I also learned something - I had heard of Bill Woggon but not his brother, Elmer who created Wahoo.  

Not sure if this is helpful but it gave me a chance to look through GCD which is always interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,504 posts
31 minutes ago, telerites said:

I don't collect these but I pulled up a few issues in between 1945 and the last issues which are the Frazetta covers on GCD.  A few I looked at were not indexed but the ones that were did not note any reprints.  

And I also learned something - I had heard of Bill Woggon but not his brother, Elmer who created Wahoo.  

Not sure if this is helpful but it gave me a chance to look through GCD which is always interesting.

Tanks. I have an old (2005) OPG in the office for reference and I found the entries a little confusing. Seems to be some new material in there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,469 posts

As I understand it, FF were primarily reprints that had been edited and reformatted up until issue 88 when all original content took over. There were some original stories mixed in with the earlier issues however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,409 posts
15 hours ago, sagii said:

I will say, i think the Jon Berk auction has changed perception somewhat on owning these and other early humor/funnies style books, and a few do collect a nice amount of change now and then. 

Definitely nowhere near to the demand they use to have when Overstreet first started publication as some of these early comics and newspaper reprints used to be right up there near the top of the charts in terms of valuations.  :whatthe:

Sadly, not the case anymore or even anywhere close to it nowadays. :frown:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
114 posts
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Definitely nowhere near to the demand they use to have when Overstreet first started publication as some of these early comics and newspaper reprints used to be right up there near the top of the charts in terms of valuations.  :whatthe:

Sadly, not the case anymore or even anywhere close to it nowadays. :frown:

Is there any good resource to compare GA books and how they've grown/depreciated over the last few decades?  Other than getting a pile of oversheets and comparing :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,469 posts

I am not aware of any "trend over time" types of data but in a broad sense content and historical value were the biggest drivers of ranked value where today the cover has taken a much bigger role in the value of books which would otherwise be significantly less, an example would be Suspense 3 compared to the first issue of Famous Funnies which was essentially the first comic book. You would also see in early Overstreet guides that the cover appearance of Superman or Batman on the early issues of Action or Detective had little to no impact on value, an origin story would be valued higher than a cover appearance for many GA books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,733 posts
4 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

Is there any good resource to compare GA books and how they've grown/depreciated over the last few decades?  Other than getting a pile of oversheets and comparing :/

GPA does have graphs and sale points of graded CGC books but since GA books don't have as many sale points, the data is sporadic at best.  Plus GPA does not collect from every site such as CC and CL.  Below is an example of an Amazing Spider-Man #1 in 5.0 which obviously has a lot sales.

The other resource is the Heritage Archives.  If they have sold a particular book, graded or raw, it will show the date and hammer price including BP.  Again, very limited.

The problem with OSPG and any price guide data is without adequate sample over time, it is all speculation, so going through your price guides most likely does not show a true reflection of value.  And so many other factors may contribute like raw vs. slabbed, PQ, restoration and to what degree, etc. can skew and OS does not post any differentiation.  

Here's a screenshot of the ASM 1 in 5.0 just as an example of what they show

698842049_FireShotCapture042-GPAforCGCComics-D_-https___comics.gpanalysis.com_gpaforcomics_data_asp.thumb.jpg.2d750de3d098d704a382ff3ecb74d8dc.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,504 posts

Same question for Heroic Comics... Great painted covers, but are they all reprints too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24,883 posts
2 hours ago, the blob said:

Same question for Heroic Comics... Great painted covers, but are they all reprints too?

I thought GCD makes it clear when there are reprints but not in this case.  My guess is that it is made up of reprints of syndicated newspaper strips based upon what info GCD does provide.

https://www.comics.org/issue/128429/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19,504 posts

I am guessing this must be the case given how nice copies of heroic printed during ww II seem to go so cheap. Either that or a warehouse find. I was sucked in by a pretty cover and made an offer on a book at half ask and half guide looking to lowball, but looking at auction results on other issues that was actually high. Seller countered with a number in the middle. I think I will pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,506 posts

If anyone has nice copies of Heroic 25 and 31 they want to profiteer from, hit me up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0