• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Flash Comics 86 - GRADE IN, BACK FROM CGC!

39 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, adampasz said:

6.0 off the top of my head. Great colors!

Staple tear near Flash's right fist.

Some kinds of circular smudge above Hawkman?

Back cover seems a bit grungy...

Notice any rust on the staples?

Thanks for your thoughts!

The smudge above hawkman is just a pencil mark. Minor staple oxidation but I don't see any rust. Centerfold is tight at both staples.

BC isn't grungy, it's called character! :D

3 minutes ago, Phill the Governor said:

Thanks for your thoughts!

The smudge above hawkman is just a pencil mark. Minor staple oxidation but I don't see any rust. Centerfold is tight at both staples.

BC isn't grungy, it's called character! :D

OK well I'm also going to ding you for the cat scratches near the top staple, but I'm will to go as high as a 7. :P

What about the left side of the back. Is that waviness/water damage? Or just grime?

1 minute ago, adampasz said:

OK well I'm also going to ding you for the cat scratches near the top staple, but I'm will to go as high as a 7. :P

What about the left side of the back. Is that waviness/water damage? Or just grime?

The book had been exposed to excessive humidity at some point (you should see what it looked like before), but miraculously it was only the cover, and it was only humidity warping. 

However, what you're seeing is the residual (abrasion?) of the moistures on the gloss. The paper itself is now flat.

2 hours ago, Point Five said:

Phil, what a score! Wow.  :applause:

I'll guess 6.5. And looks better!

Thanks Jon! :foryou:

The coolest thing about the pick up was that it was from and OO collection, we're talking issues of continuity in titles from the 1940s: Detective Comics, Mary Marvel, Detective Comics, Flash Comics, All American Comics, etc. He had been posting many  books from All-American Comics and I just casually asked if he happened to have a 61. He replied back "I don't think so let me check'" , followed up with  "yeah I have one, it's VG i'll post photos", and ended with the last message of "ITS NM I WANT $20,000 for it!" lol. Someone got a good deal on that book too, really pretty copy. Anyways, I was fortunate enough to get this and a few other books and it wasn't until having them in hand that I realized that 3 of the 7 books: Flash Comics 86, Mary Marvel 15 and All American Comics 88 are all from August 1947. I thought it was pretty cool to imagine the OO going to the store back on that day in August and picking up the 3 of these books together - and now here they are with me! The kicker is that the AA 88 and the Flash 86 have the same pencil mark on the upper left FC, and the same tear in the same spot on the back cover. 

23 hours ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

I'm not certain of a lot of things in life, but if this book doesn't grade out to at least a 6.0 I'll eat my shorts.

The 6.0 that sold a few months ago looked like this:

Flash86CGC6_0a.jpg.99b0431bd81f3b14d70bc5db74e84b9e.jpgFlash86CGC6_0b.jpg.07a4a30a463e622094cee1caa59d1d1b.jpg

Big tear top of front cover, grease pencil, amongst other defects. Honestly think it's a 5.5 (and the price reflected this) but to each their own.

2 hours ago, Ahsoka Tano Jedi Apprentice said:

ya u would think it could at least get a 6.0 but da way that CGC is grading now....nothing would surprise me so i go low....because that's what they r doing.......is that a stain on back lower left ?

Yes, I believe that is a stain on the 6.0.