• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Flash Comics 86 - GRADE IN, BACK FROM CGC!

39 posts in this topic

I'm not the best with GA books, but I am at a 5.0 on this regardless.Β  The slabbed copy above looks like a 7.0ish and they downgraded 2 grades for that tear which seems about right.Β  Still a great looking comic nonetheless!

I'm sorry but since this isn't a Sales thread I must comment what everyone else is probably thinking. For all those complaining that CGC is grading too tight, theyΒ should look at this book. I just don't see a 7.0 and neither did anyone else in this thread. Maybe, possibly, on a good day 6.5 . I know you worked on this book, you must be very skilled.Β 

47 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I'm sorry but since this isn't a Sales thread I must comment what everyone else is probably thinking. For all those complaining that CGC is grading too tight, theyΒ should look at this book. I just don't see a 7.0 and neither did anyone else in this thread. Maybe, possibly, on a good day 6.5 . I know you worked on this book, you must be very skilled.Β 

Is this the GA bump? About one full point, right? Still its a beautiful copy, I'd love to have it in my collection!

Just now, flashlites said:

Is this the GA bump? About one full point, right? Still its a beautiful copy, I'd love to have it in my collection!

Agreed, it's a really nice copy of a key book and I would love to have it. However, I would NOT want to pay for this copy as a 7.0 . This is one of those books where the front cover is a much higher grade than the back cover, usually resulting in a 'blended grade'. Maybe it is a GA bump, or a Friday Bump, or a 'we owe you one' bump but it does appear to have been bumped.Β Β 

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Agreed, it's a really nice copy of a key book and I would love to have it. However, I would NOT want to pay for this copy as a 7.0 . This is one of those books where the front cover is a much higher grade than the back cover, usually resulting in a 'blended grade'. Maybe it is a GA bump, or a Friday Bump, or a 'we owe you one' bump but it does appear to have been bumped.Β Β 

Well then you would be in the minority.

Β 

I think that VERY often people in this thread are too tough on books. I think this book is a wonderful example of this. I personally think this book is a 7.0 all day long, and thankfully so did the expert graders at CGC.

41 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

Great book regardless of grade! Ignore the negative comments. Not sure why people feel the need to post them.

This is not a sales thread, it's a Please Grade my book thread. You honestly, really think that one should only post positive comments in a PGM thread ? What's the point in asking if you can't handle the critique ?Β 

10 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

This is not a sales thread, it's a Please Grade my book thread. You honestly, really think that one should only post positive comments in a PGM thread ? What's the point in asking if you can't handle the critique ?Β 

Critique is fine. Saying you WOULD NOT want to pay 7.0 money for the book isn’t a critique on the book. He didn’t ask what someone would pay or not pay.

2 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

Critique is fine. Saying you WOULD NOT want to pay 7.0 money for the book isn’t a critique on the book. He didn’t ask what someone would pay or not pay.

I said that because I do not believe it is a 7.0 and neither did anybody else that gave their opinion here. Yes, I am the only one that commented negatively after the grade was in. Unless I am wrong, there are no Board Rules prohibiting me fromΒ commenting on the grade of the book in a slab in a PGM thread. I stand by my opinion, I think the book was overgraded. If the book had come back a 5.5, I would have commented that he got shafted and the book was undergraded. I call them as I see them. No reason to call me out for stating my opinion.

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I know you worked on this book, you must be very skilled.Β 

And thank you.

It took about 7-8 hours of working the cover to get it flat and as clean as it could be.

Β 

It felt like a 7.0 in hand, let me tell you. I just didn't want to get my hopes up because we hear all the talk here about how tight CGC is.

Β 

I think the reality is a mix between some books on the fence fall one way or another, and that some people (even veterans sometimes)Β just don't know how to properly grade books.

Β 

But yeah also come on, you don't have to be poopoo about it. It's not like this is a ComicConnect auction or something and the we don't know the owner of the book, so it's fair game. This was my thread. I'm the owner. I did the work.Β 

Β 

Edited by Phill the Governor

2 minutes ago, Phill the Governor said:

And thank you.

It took about 7-8 hours of working the cover to get it flat and as clean as it could be.

Β 

It felt like a 7.0 in hand, let me tell you. I just didn't want to get my hopes up because we hear all the talk here about how tight CGC is.

Β 

I think the reality is a mix between some books on the fence fall one way or another, and that some people (even veterans sometimes)Β just don't know how to properly grade books.

Seriously, if anything, this book demonstrates your skills. I am also glad you commented that you spent 7 - 8 hours on the book. It shows it takes a LOT of work to improve certain books. You can't just do one quick press and pass it on to grading. I think the 7 - 8 hours was well spent and it probably achieved a full point higher. Kudos to you!