• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats with SS #1 White Pages?
1 1

31 posts in this topic

Trying to upgrade my Silver Surfer #1 CGC 7.5 and can't seem to find one with white pages. Searched on heritage sold archives, looked at books from 8.0-9.2 and while they exist its damn near impossible to find a copy with white pages.

Is there something about the book that makes it hard to find with WPs? I guess I got lucky when I bought my 7.5 copy (shrug)

2 hours ago, grayzr said:

Trying to upgrade my Silver Surfer #1 CGC 7.5 and can't seem to find one with white pages. Searched on heritage sold archives, looked at books from 8.0-9.2 and while they exist its damn near impossible to find a copy with white pages.

Is there something about the book that makes it hard to find with WPs? I guess I got lucky when I bought my 7.5 copy (shrug)

Boston copy

Old Blue Label (ow-w pages)>Newer Blue Label (white pages)

SilverSurf1(98oww)boston.jpg

SilverSurf1(98w)27kboston.jpg

1 minute ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Boston copy

Interesting, I have heard that old labels sometimes come back with better PQ after reholder because back in the day CGC didn't have the best lights for grading.

Even in the high grade range like 9.2-9.8 it still seems almost impossible to find with WPs. I have never come across a book, in the same era with so few WP copies.

Maybe I just don't have a big enough sample size but after looking threw Heritage, eBay, Comic Connect,Clink and MCS it seems rare in any grade TBH.

17 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

page quality is one of many things CGC struggles with being consistent on and the general consensus is they were hard on earlier submissions.

Someone made a youtube video where they were cracking out cgc slabs in the old label (gen 1) with Cream to off white pages that looked nicer then books cracked out of (gen 2) holders with off white to white.

1 hour ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

Boston copy

Boston’s are super-super glossy and “fresh” looking.  

As mentioned (after the above post), CGC has been inconsistent over the years WRT page quality.  I had a book go from LT/OW to OW/W on a resub.

That said, when they assign W pages to a book, it’s almost always deserved.  

1 hour ago, grayzr said:

Interesting, I have heard that old labels sometimes come back with better PQ after reholder because back in the day CGC didn't have the best lights for grading.

Even in the high grade range like 9.2-9.8 it still seems almost impossible to find with WPs. I have never come across a book, in the same era with so few WP copies.

Maybe I just don't have a big enough sample size but after looking threw Heritage, eBay, Comic Connect,Clink and MCS it seems rare in any grade TBH.

X Men 50. Very few W paged copies even in high grade. It's a book I have had several high grade copies of and always look out for W page copies. Maybe 1 out of 10 that comes up has W pages (could be less even). Also a late 1968 book.

49 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

X Men 50. Very few W paged copies even in high grade. It's a book I have had several high grade copies of and always look out for W page copies. Maybe 1 out of 10 that comes up has W pages (could be less even). Also a late 1968 book.

I feel lucky to have this one.

IMG_9707.JPG

1 hour ago, LordRahl said:

Did not know this. I submitted my personal copy of X-Men #50 and it received 9.6 White. I moved the book, not realiizing what I had. :cry:

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Boston’s are super-super glossy and “fresh” looking.  

As mentioned (after the above post), CGC has been inconsistent over the years WRT page quality.  I had a book go from LT/OW to OW/W on a resub.

That said, when they assign W pages to a book, it’s almost always deserved.  

So when a book is sent for a reholder cgc can change PQ but will they also change grades sometimes?

8 hours ago, grayzr said:

So when a book is sent for a reholder cgc can change PQ but will they also change grades sometimes?

no. If its sent for a reholder they will just reholder it (assuming the slabs not compromised). You can ask for a prescreen or a resubmission to see if you get a better grade, or even have them press it before doing that.

but a reholdering is just a reholdering.

4 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

no. If its sent for a reholder they will just reholder it (assuming the slabs not compromised). You can ask for a prescreen or a resubmission to see if you get a better grade, or even have them press it before doing that.

but a reholdering is just a reholdering.

Spot on.  

1 hour ago, miraclemet said:

that would be my assumption.

Why would someone take a risk resubmitting a 9.8 key like SS #1 though?

Unless CGC know that back in the day the lighting was bad and when they get old gen 1 holders they re check the PQ?

32 minutes ago, grayzr said:

Unless CGC know that back in the day the lighting was bad and when they get old gen 1 holders they re check the PQ?

It doesn't seem logical that someone would risk resubmitting a 9.8 Silver age key.  The risk of returning as a 9.6 far outweighs the gain going from OW/W to W I think.

Doesn't smell right.

1 hour ago, grayzr said:

41 minutes ago, Erndog said:

It doesn't seem logical that someone would risk resubmitting a 9.8 Silver age key.  The risk of returning as a 9.6 far outweighs the gain going from OW/W to W I think.

Doesn't smell right.

that's a good gosh darn point guys! 

and it's not like it could be prescreened it as keeping the 9.8 before they cracked it out

now Im mystified. 

1 minute ago, miraclemet said:

that's a good gosh darn point guys! 

and it's not like it could be prescreened it as keeping the 9.8 before they cracked it out

now Im mystified. 

This raises the question, when CGC gets a book in for reholdering does the book get checked at all or is just the slab checked to make sure it was not tampered with?

followed by re encapsulation without any kind of look threw the book.