• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC SS Stan Lee signed "Stanley"
1 1

25 posts in this topic

Hello guys & gals! I'm new here, been collecting a few slabs for about a year now, and I have a question. Please forgive me if I placed this in the wrong category. If I need to move it, please let me know.

I purchased a slab recently, a CGC SS SDCC exclusive Marvel/Bandai Manga Realization, signed by Stan Lee.....except he signed it Stanley. This was signed literally nine weeks before he passed away, so I feel like his age and condition likely caused him to slip up and do this. My question is, how does this book compare to the countless others he signed Stan Lee, and should I get with CGC and work on getting the label redone to recognize that it was signed Stanley by Stan Lee? They didn't note this on the label. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated!

IMG_20190108_222053929_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190108_222115251_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190108_222159891_HDR.jpg

1 hour ago, Pirate said:

That's Stan Lee with an extra curl, not Stanley  :facepalm:  The guy was like 95 or something.

Not necessarily, remember the stories from that disastrous May ‘18 show where he had to be reminded to sign “Stan Lee”.  While I agree he probably just messed up on the underline, there’s an off chance he was in the middle of a “Stanley Lieber” before stopping.

13 hours ago, Pirate said:

That's Stan Lee with an extra curl, not Stanley  :facepalm:  The guy was like 95 or something.

Not necessarily. When he did sign "Stanley Lieber" on rare occasion, that's the precise form that his 'y' took!  Who can imagine what it must be like to concentrate at age 95 unless you are 95 and called to task? Based on the way he signed StanLee here and terminated by changing the second 'e' into his standard 'y', I'm convinced that he signed it "Stanley:, whether it was a conscious motion or not.

Oh I plan on keeping it, the whole reason I bought it was because of the unique signature. As far as the book itself goes, I wasn't aware of the rarity of it until someone told me, so the combination of the two make this a personal treasure of mine. Actually, it's my favorite of all I own! 

20 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Not necessarily. When he did sign "Stanley Lieber" on rare occasion, that's the precise form that his 'y' took!  Who can imagine what it must be like to concentrate at age 95 unless you are 95 and called to task? Based on the way he signed StanLee here and terminated by changing the second 'e' into his standard 'y', I'm convinced that he signed it "Stanley:, whether it was a conscious motion or not.

Exactly! Not sure how anyone can look at this signature and say it doesn't say Stanley, it's clear as day lol

1 hour ago, DnoDave said:

Exactly! Not sure how anyone can look at this signature and say it doesn't say Stanley, it's clear as day lol

It says “Stanleey”

I think the 95 year old guy signed a combo of both Stan Lee and Stanley.

9 minutes ago, Park said:
2 hours ago, DnoDave said:

It says “Stanleey”

I think the 95 year old guy signed a combo of both Stan Lee and Stanley.

Exactly, I'm glad the facilitator put "Stan Lee" on the paperwork, otherwise who ever originally paid for this autograph would have been disappointed. 

"Stanley" sounds like an off brand if not done on purpose...

12 hours ago, DnoDave said:

Oh I plan on keeping it, the whole reason I bought it was because of the unique signature. As far as the book itself goes, I wasn't aware of the rarity of it until someone told me, so the combination of the two make this a personal treasure of mine. Actually, it's my favorite of all I own! 

nothing rare about it. to me it does look like stanley but honestly i have seen hundreds of stanlee sigs where he loops the last e and underlines and it looks almost just like this. i love stan and have over three hundred stan ss books. but it doesnt make a book rare that his sig looks a little different. for the last couple years every single book he signed seemed to look a little different. 

15 hours ago, DnoDave said:

Clear as day noob.

On 1/18/2019 at 3:07 PM, DnoDave said:

Okie dokie, smarta$$. You are literally the only person out of hundreds who have looked at it and have said this, but whatever.

Noob dave thinks he's got a gold mine and trying to convince himself he has more than a stan lee signature.  Hundreds of people have told him this so he came and joined the CGC boards trying to convince us he has something big.  He does not.

1 hour ago, Pirate said:

Noob dave thinks he's got a gold mine and trying to convince himself he has more than a stan lee signature.  Hundreds of people have told him this so he came and joined the CGC boards trying to convince us he has something big.  He does not.

Hey, at least the sig is on one of the worst pieces of garbage best books Marvel ever published!