• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeding bins at a convention - how do you do it?
4 4

172 posts in this topic

On 1/9/2019 at 2:21 PM, FlyingDonut said:

The series you're referring to had its last issue in 1974, 45 years ago. The last Sub-Mariner comic book published was Sub-Mariner: The Depths, which had its last issue come out in 2009, 10 years ago. No one is putting together a Sub-Mariner run because Marvel hasn't published a Sub-Mariner comic in ten years.

So he should sit on them another 15 years :baiting:

19 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

good luck with this strategy of not selling to dealers or specific dealers you don't like. I'm sure you'll do great and welcome to the club of selling comic books

Yeah, the best you can really do is not give them any discounts. But, as I mentioned earlier, this has a good chance of producing the desired result (unless you're already underpricing).

Thankfully, there's nobody local that I really don't like and I no longer set up at the big show, so it's not really an issue for me anymore.

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Yeah, the best you can really do is not give them any discounts. But, as I mentioned earlier, this has a good chance of producing the desired result (unless you're already underpricing).

Thankfully, there's nobody local that I really don't like and I no longer set up at the big show, so it's not really an issue for me anymore.

isn't the best "revenge" on someone you don't like is taking their money. I really don't get this mindset of "I don't want to sell to xyz"

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

isn't the best "revenge" on someone you don't like is taking their money. I really don't get this mindset of "I don't want to sell to xyz"

I do, to some extent. It is why we have lists of bad buyers on these boards and why most sellers exclude those buyers from their sales threads. Selling in person mitigates some factors, but not all.

I'm a run collector approaching this from what I'd want to see as a buyer.  I'm more likely to pay full price for run books if there are keys I still need in there, because I have the privilege of clearing out my want list all at once.  Once your bin is down to the leftovers, I'm less likely to pay top dollar: no one wants what's left, so I'm in no hurry to buy them, and I'll still be left hunting the same book that everyone else wants.

My priority is to sell books and make space, but not necessarily to maximize profit.  I really just don't want to get ransacked before the show opens, and have to stand behind sorry looking bins for an afternoon.  If I get to give good deals to nice people, and maybe stick it to a two-faced opportunist of a dealer, I consider that a very good day.

40 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:
1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

I do, to some extent. It is why we have lists of bad buyers on these boards and why most sellers exclude those buyers from their sales threads. Selling in person mitigates some factors, but not all.

Exactly.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 12:02 PM, blazingbob said:

One of the more "realistic" posts in this thread.  I ask myself do sellers ever take a step outside of themselves,  look at their booth and ask why would a buyer stop there?  Seeding boxes?  Is there a big sign on the wall saying good books are in the boxes?  Don't people realize how lazy most buyers are?  The reason they buy wall books is that they can "SEE THEM".  Nobody has all day to go box diving.  If you are priced fairly then the person will buy more.  What do those boxes look like?  Mylars?  poly bags taped?  Presentation is a lot more then people realize.  How you present your material is sometimes more important to buyers then being the cheapest.  If the books aren't in order,  no grades,  just prices then you are making the buyer work harder.  

This is correct for 90% of comic buyers no joke.

But for the comic diver 10% like me I love a set up. No one looks there and I clean up.:devil:

Wall books are pretty, but I am not there for them.

40 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

I'm a run collector approaching this from what I'd want to see as a buyer.  I'm more likely to pay full price for run books if there are keys I still need in there, because I have the privilege of clearing out my want list all at once.  Once your bin is down to the leftovers, I'm less likely to pay top dollar: no one wants what's left, so I'm in no hurry to buy them, and I'll still be left hunting the same book that everyone else wants.

My priority is to sell books and make space, but not necessarily to maximize profit.  I really just don't want to get ransacked before the show opens, and have to stand behind sorry looking bins for an afternoon.  If I get to give good deals to nice people, and maybe stick it to a two-faced opportunist of a dealer, I consider that a very good day.

I agree you want to have fun talk comics and make sales. Being hit at the beginning sometimes is great, while other times you are  creeped out by some. 

The entire time you have to know this. How much do I have in that book? How much profit do I want to make? and so on.

Edited by fastballspecial

34 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

You'll have to price the more popular/expensive stuff at FMV. It's likely that a lot of people will ask for discounts regardless, but you can choose who gets them.

I would definitely recommend some kind of display for showcasing books (which don't necessarily have to be the same ones everyone else has on their walls) rather than just having boxes. That is the one thing I would change about the first show I did (I made one before I did my second show).

You also might want to carefully consider your prices if you think people will pay "top dollar" for the books that are likely to become the leftovers. I've always had multiple dollar (or occasionally less) boxes for the books that belong there.

22 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

You also might want to carefully consider your prices if you think people will pay "top dollar" for the books that are likely to become the leftovers. I've always had multiple dollar (or occasionally less) boxes for the books that belong there.

Definitely not expecting top dollar for my run stuff, I want it to move by the handful.  I'm just saying the bins have to be enticing, or I wouldnt expect anyone to touch them.

3 hours ago, FineCollector said:

:golfclap:

50 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

most bad buyers here are due to bad experiences, hard for that to happen when the buyer is paying you cash and the transaction is completed

2 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

So you have no issue with the Red Rocks sale then.

of course i did but thats a bit rare and out of the ordinary right?

Edited by jsilverjanet