• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seeding bins at a convention - how do you do it?
4 4

172 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, RCheli said:

I've had a fair number of people asking me about those reprint X-Mens of late... and that Ghost Rider would be in my $3 boxes.

The issue with low-price comics on eBay is that you have to add shipping into the mix. That savings of buying a comic cheap disappears if you'd adding $5+ to the buy.

Right! Everyone seems to assume "but they'll save on combined shipping"...I don't know how much money I have wasted bidding on auctions in the hope of winning a few and getting combined shipping. Invariably I win the one item I bid on that I was the least interested in. With that said, someone was apparently willing to pay a total of $12.95 to obtain this mid-grade Submariner 41:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sub-Mariner-41-Marvel-Comics-1971-Bronze-Age-HIGH-RES-SCANS-/143070668682?hash=item214fad278a%3Ag%3AIZ8AAOSwVcZcJ1Us&nma=true&si=k5rBGBi%2BuujbAIA%2FqNJ8cW9pcBQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And $7.43 for this copy listed as Fine Minus (it might be better though)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUB-MARINER-41-SEP-1971-MARVEL-GERRY-CONWAY-STORY-FN-/132882540497?hash=item1ef06aa7d1%3Ag%3AKzoAAOSwEOJcDNJg&nma=true&si=k5rBGBi%2BuujbAIA%2FqNJ8cW9pcBQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And VG copes are costing someone $7-10 to get them to their door.

So $5 is actually not unreasonable (although there are also costs to attending a con, so if you spend $100 on $5 books (20 of them) and spent $15 to get in and $15 to park and get there (I am using lower dollar amounts assuming a show in a small city, not a big "CON" where it costs $60 a day or whatever and parking will cost you $40).

4 hours ago, shortboxed said:

I keep my short boxes closed until doors open. After that, I don't care if dealers buy from my booth or a con attendee. But I like keeping my full inventory that I painstakingly curated for the show to be available to con attendees.

As a collector, I've been to many shows (often the first one through the doors) only to find that all the "good books" and deals have already been snatched up by dealers during setup.  So this is simply my way of giving the attendees a fair shot at what I think is a nice selection of very fairly priced books. 

I feel that way too, I have a $2 box that I always move quantity of regardless of show.  I wouldn't want someone plundering it and almost never do I give bulk deals on it...

Edited by spreads

39 minutes ago, the blob said:

I don't know how much money I have wasted bidding on auctions in the hope of winning a few and getting combined shipping. Invariably I win the one item I bid on that I was the least interested in. 

So that DOES happen to other people, huh? I'm glad I'm not the only one the universe kicks around like that.  :foryou:

It doesn't matter if I bid on twenty books, it still happens all the time that I win just one, maybe two, and we're not talking low-balling page after page of auctions. Case in point, when I look at the items I didn't win, I'm overwhelmingly the second highest bidder.  

That being said, that's why I'm liking the boards more and more. PLUS, boardies pack a lot better than most ebayers.  (thumbsu

Great thread, by the way. Very informative!!  :cloud9:

1 hour ago, the blob said:

"I love seeing nice books in $5 boxes but I cut them back when found $5 box buyers were not $1 filling a collection guys but just guys looking for an easy flip."

Now the question is would you put likely $10 ebay sales in your $5 boxes to avoid the hassle of ebay?

Frankly, I don't know why anyone puts a non hot or non-scarce/GA book up for auction on ebay. Well, I do, they want to get rid of it, and that's what will happen I suppose.

Because it sells.

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

To be fair Mr Blazing, he's not against selling to dealers, he's against selling to dealers he doesn't like and I can understand that.  There are local dealers here who'd rip their own grandmother off to make a buck and I see no point in helping them stay in business.

Exactly, This particular dealer the OP is referring to just pulled off a particular move just three days ago!  I have no issues with the guy, he's bought books out of my bins but I can totally see the OP's point.  There are other dealers that just have bad relationships with others and see no reason to do business with them.  

4 hours ago, shortboxed said:

I keep my short boxes closed until doors open. After that, I don't care if dealers buy from my booth or a con attendee. But I like keeping my full inventory that I painstakingly curated for the show to be available to con attendees.

As a collector, I've been to many shows (often the first one through the doors) only to find that all the "good books" and deals have already been snatched up by dealers during setup.  So this is simply my way of giving the attendees a fair shot at what I think is a nice selection of very fairly priced books. 

Heh... this reminds me of a fun story. I was attending the Calgary Comic Expo a few years back and was wheeling boxes of comics into the show on a cart and as I wheeled up to my booth a guy was there and he approached, I don't even recall if he said hello and he was soon taking the lids off of comic boxes and the cart hadn't even stopped yet!

I admit I was rather put off that this guy hadn't even asked if he could have a look through our comics.

My friend Dave ( thehumantorch ) said "hi Harley".

It was how I met Harley Yee. lol

18 minutes ago, spreads said:

Exactly, This particular dealer the OP is referring to just pulled off a particular move just three days ago!  I have no issues with the guy, he's bought books out of my bins but I can totally see the OP's point.  There are other dealers that just have bad relationships with others and see no reason to do business with them.  

Harley suffers from a strong feeling of "entitlement".   

49 minutes ago, spreads said:

we have a vendor that attends the larger Alberta shows that frequents our booth to buy books for customers he has that are waiting in his booth. Rather than say to the customer "I don't have that book, but those guys right there beside me have it" and sending the customer our way he will come and try to buy the book off of us. "gimme a deal, gimme a deal, come on" and of course he will want a significant discount off of our price. Sigh...

We started sticking to our prices more, and I have noticed he is buying less from us and coming to our booth a lot less than he used to.

17 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Because it sells.

I should have added "at 99 cent starting auctions."  You seem to start your auctions at $5, which gives you some protection.

But I looked at your sales the last couple of months and on a lot of those auctions that ended at $5-6 you would likely have done better here or via BIN/Best Offer. A lot better (and I had some comparisons here, but I decided against posting them). Sure, some did fine, an it has nothing to do with you (you have outstanding feedback, big scans, etc.) , it's that folks bidding on auctions for medium in demand books seem to be a small component of the market now and many are flippers, while collectors willing to pay more for what they want right now seem to be going the best offer route. Of course, there is some randomness to it all. One week there may be no interest in a book, the next week a bidding war. If the goal is to unload them ASAP, sure. But I'd rather wait a bit longer and get 2-3X as much if possible. I understand doing a consignment model where folks want cash now makes that less possible. Listen, I have no problem with selling a bunch of $7-10 books quickly for $5 a pop, I just don't like doing the $15-$25 ones that way.

13 hours ago, mysterio said:

You can’t control what people are going to do with stuff they’ve legally purchased, so it’s not really worth the energy to worry about that. That being said, price the books at a level you’ll be happy selling them, to anyone. If you get your price then so be it. When it comes to the dealers that you would prefer not to deal with, just let them know that the sticker is the price whether they buy one book or 20 boxes. That’ll usually dissuade those types, as they want a super discount in my experience. But if they pay your price then take their money and move on.

^^

No discount will quickly send most of the :censored: on to their next target, unless the books are already way underpriced.

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

we have a vendor that attends the larger Alberta shows that frequents our booth to buy books for customers he has that are waiting in his booth. Rather than say to the customer "I don't have that book, but those guys right there beside me have it" and sending the customer our way he will come and try to buy the book off of us. "gimme a deal, gimme a deal, come on" and of course he will want a significant discount off of our price. Sigh...

We started sticking to our prices more, and I have noticed he is buying less from us and coming to our booth a lot less than he used to.

Seriously, F that guy.  I think I've only had one instance of a dealer's brother try that move on me, but I ended up selling him the books at a price I was happy with.  If you don't want to direct someone to a different booth, then at least have the decency to pay the sticker price or offer the book at cost to your customer. 

I actually don't think this is so bad. He has developed those relationships with clients. He needs to pay his mortgage and alimony. If he isn't lowballing too much? If he is buying 5 or 6 good books and spending money why wouldn't he try to get a deal? I would. And there is the chance his customers pass on the books and he has now paid 85% of FMV, let's say. It's not a given he makes money. 

5 hours ago, Phicks said:

Price your books high.  After your hated dealers have sniffed over your collection and walked away because there is no room for them to markup, pull out a big sign "Buy two books, 20% off lower priced book".  An hour later "Buy 3, 30% off", etc as the day goes on.

This is your answer.  Increase the discounts as the day goes out or after 30 mins from the start of the convention